Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gable: Iowa wrestling program on its way back

Default Re: Gable: Iowa wrestling program on its way back

i have to agree with odh again on this as it isn't so much about iowa being on its way back as much as how they are going to end up doing it...i don't blame the kids though either as i was 18-20 once and if i was judged on the decisions that i had done during that time, i might still have some serious credibility issues..
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I'll just keep quiet on this whole thing...I wouldn't want to make any enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I also am still bitter the manner Brands left Va Tech. I don't blame him for going for his dream job, but whole process was ugly. Also many Iowa fans were truly obnoxious about the whole situation.

Just as many VT fans were obnoxious.

Perhaps, and if they were both powerhouses I would probably be rooting against VT for the way their fans and administration acted. But they are trying to do something that we rarely see these days, which is trying to develop a top team at a non-tradional wrestling school. Brands really set the effort back and was very callous about it.

I would have to kindly disagree with ya ODH, Brands did not set the effort back, in fact I would have to say Brands was a major reason VT is heading in the direction they are today...positive.

I've tried very hard not to get drawn into this thread - but I just can't help myself. We're talking about, arguably, the greatest college coach (all sports) in American history and his - as yet - unproven protege.

First, I'll concede that University of Iowa wrestling fans are perhaps the most obnoxious fans (again - all sports) in the country. And yes - most of us feel that it's "normal" for the Hawks to be at the top of the heap at least 2 out of every 3 years (20 titles in 30 years - you do the math). We're not prepared to accept less than that. Pretty arrogant, I know.

Second, I believe that Gable only had the top-rated recruiting class two or three times in 20 years. That would seem to imply that every year he was winning those championships by beating teams with more highly touted lineups. Wiltz and a few others have mentioned some of those typical "Gable kids" that won NCAA titles like Whitmer and Weber, but I can't believe no one has talked about Mark Ironside as the ultimate example of what Gable could do for a kid. Yes - he was a 2X state champion, but a couple of times during high school when Iowa City High wrestled Cedar Rapids Jefferson, City would move McGinness up to face Ironside and Jeff would dominate Mark just like he did everyone else. Now fast forward to the 1996 NWCA all-star meet when Ironside wrestled the guy recently named as the best high school wrestler of the past 20 years, Cary Kolat. If you were there, you know that Ironside won that match because, on that night, he was mentally tougher than Kolat.

Finally, you need to have read or heard more of Gable's comments over the years than this one to fully appreciate what he is saying. When 2 wrestlers of relatively equal talent and training face each other - the one who is mentally tougher will win.
    Last edited by gg121and2; 09-14-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty View Post
    I would have to kindly disagree with ya ODH, Brands did not set the effort back, in fact I would have to say Brands was a major reason VT is heading in the direction they are today...positive.
    That is highly debatable. The VTech administration by hiring Brands started them on their way. Brands had one excellent recruiting year and then stripped the cupboard bare when he left. The administration decided to continue to support wrestling and made another great hire with Dresser and the program looks to be still progressing. I can't see how Brands really gets any credit for this.

I understand people's bitterness towrd VTech on the transfer issue, but at least they have not backed off on supporting the team.

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post

Finally, you need to have read or heard more of Gable's comments over the years than this one to fully appreciate what he is saying. When 2 wrestlers of relatively equal talent and training face each other - the one who is mentally tougher will win.
    Agreed. I think Iowa fans have had a hard time accepting that their wrestlers just did not have the talent in the last few years and have blamed it on not having the right attitude and now not buying into the program

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post

Second, I believe that Gable only had the top-rated recruiting class two or three times in 20 years. That would seem to imply that every year he was winning those championships by beating teams with more highly touted lineups.
    I am just curious: How many of those other years did he have a 2nd ranked or even top five ranked class?
    The legend of Gable would have me beieve that usually his recruits would not amount to a top ten class.

Either way what he did amazing and I agree that he may be the best coach ever in any sport. I am still rooting against Iowa.