Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gable: Iowa wrestling program on its way back

Default Re: Gable: Iowa program on its way back

Gable took guys with some talent, and tons of heart and turned them into champions. Brands, Whitmer, Fiser, Weber ect... Terry and Tom both freely admit coming out of HS they weren't the most talented guys around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Gable took guys with some talent, and tons of heart and turned them into champions. Brands, Whitmer, Fiser, Weber ect... Terry and Tom both freely admit coming out of HS they weren't the most talented guys around.
    If Tom and Terry were 4 time state runner-ups, 4 time National runner-ups, World Silver Medalist and Olympic Silver medalist, they'd both tell you that they probably weren't that good, if you get my drift.
    "Within all of us there burns a passion of fire. Forever feel the heat from the flames of your desire"

Terry and Tom were not on everyone's radar coming out of HS. I get your point but, in reality Gable took those guys to a whole new level. Found out what made them tick and pushed them farther and farther..IMO those 2 guys had they went somewhere else probably wouldn't have been as successful as they are. Any person that tells you good coaching isn't important is full of BS.

Olympic Champ

The historical record shows the fortunes of the Iowa wrestling program went up, way up, shortly after Gable entered the room as an assistant coach (1974?).

The Brands' were from a class IA school in Iowa (the smallest of three divisions), so however well they did in high school, it's unlikely they were wrestling the best in the state. When they came to Iowa they became monster wrestlers.

No, he didn't turn water into wine. No one said he could take the East Stroudsberg team to the national title. But it's clear he made the most of the wrestlers he had, good, bad or otherwise. I don't know why anyone would argue to the contrary.

If anyone has the right to display some arrogance, it's Gable. He's walked the walk. Clearly his statements are designed to motivate his team, no matter what anyone else thinks. Whether you agree with his methods or not, I think he knows a little something about what he's doing.

Default Re: Gable: Iowa wrestling program on its way back

this year we shall see won't we...i don't want excuses anymore out of that program...i have never been "on the bandwagon" or "off the bandwagon" but i have noticed some pretty poor performances out of that outfit in the least five years and last year was not much different...

the recruiting class (transfers) and a second year under Gable (Brands) should be all that they need to bring that program in to the Top 3 this year, no excuses...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Terry and Tom were not on everyone's radar coming out of HS. I get your point but, in reality Gable took those guys to a whole new level. Found out what made them tick and pushed them farther and farther..IMO those 2 guys had they went somewhere else probably wouldn't have been as successful as they are. Any person that tells you good coaching isn't important is full of BS.
    Oh Good coaching is half the battle, I believe that like no other. There's proof of that every year. You got guys with all the ambition, drive, and heart in the world, but they lack the skills it takes to be highly successful. Guys that only placed at state once, maybe only qualified for state but never placed, or never qualified for state at all and you see them wrestle division I and qualify for nationals or even make All American! That comes down to good coaching, no doubt.

I agree that the Brands brothers probably wouldn't have been as good wrestling for anyone but Gable. Their is something very special about Gable, and he's the all time best, you'll never hear an argument from me about that. What I'm saying is that I know Gable can take guys who were "only" one time state champions, or 4 time state place winners and make them into national champions. The question is, could he take a kid who never even qualified for state, who's whole heartedly willing to do everything he can to "buy into" the program, and also make him a national champion?

Is it truly all in the head? Is it truly how bad you want it? Or are their other factors, genetics, God given ability, natural talent, that also come into play?
    "Within all of us there burns a passion of fire. Forever feel the heat from the flames of your desire"

The Brands had the natural talent to become World Champions. It takes more than coaching and hard work to be #1 in the world.
    They both have tremendous natural talent.
    Maybe one of Gable should get more credit is ercognizing and recruiting kids with "All-World" potential who are not that highly ranked coming out of HS.

Can't argue with his past results, but I still want to see Iowa lose.

i have to tell you that odh is right...i really actually enjoy watching iowa lose...i will tell you in the last two years that the matches with minnesota have been pretty lopsided and i haven't enjoyed those as much as I would have thought...they don't compare to some of the squeekers with Ok State and Iowa State the last two years...

i want Iowa back and wrestling their best so that Minnesota can point to those victories and say "we beat you at your best". we shall see...i do see Iowa definitely stepping right up into the Top 5 barring an injury to fields and perry and i AM excited to watch some of their young wrestlers...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I also am still bitter the manner Brands left Va Tech. I don't blame him for going for his dream job, but whole process was ugly. Also many Iowa fans were truly obnoxious about the whole situation.