Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Winston to Rutgers

Default Scott Winston to Rutgers

In the great tradition of Big, he's headed to Piscataway, to wrestle for his old high school coach. He's an amazing building block, that hopefully can spur the revitalization of that program.

Per IM

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Scott Winston to Rutgers

Poor kid. What did he do in high school anyway?

Undefeated 3 years in Jersey. Won Fargo this summer I think.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Undefeated 3 years in Jersey. Won Fargo this summer I think.
    The problem for a kid like that will be keeping focus. Rutgers is not indicative of New Jersey wrestling in any way. Most students have never even been to a wrestling match. On top of that most of the kids on the team will not be as driven as he probably will be. Add on top of that a reluctant Athletic Department and I see much frustration in this wrestler's Rutgers career. I hope I am wrong.

Olympic Champ

In my time I knew a few New Jersey State champs at Rutgers and none did very well. Brady, McCann and Beverly. Brady and Beverly quit while McCann placed 6th at EIWA his senior year. Another guy, Chencherik, was also a state champ but didn't do much at Rutgers.

Well like I said, his High School coach got hired on as the head coach there, so I'm sure that was basically his whole impetus for going.

i think its a good story...lets see what the kid can do...i think big needs to show up and give this kid a sparing partner in the wrestling room...what say u big?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    The problem for a kid like that will be keeping focus. Rutgers is not indicative of New Jersey wrestling in any way. Most students have never even been to a wrestling match. On top of that most of the kids on the team will not be as driven as he probably will be. Add on top of that a reluctant Athletic Department and I see much frustration in this wrestler's Rutgers career. I hope I am wrong.
    Exactly...that's why the kid should have went elsewhere. But on the other hand, maybe he'll be the start of something special for Rutgers.

Winston to wrestle for Rutgers
    Undefeated Jackson star (101-0) to join his former coach Goodale
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007
    BY BOB BEHRE
    For the Star-Ledger
    New Jersey's top scholastic wrestler, Scott Winston of Jackson, has given a verbal commitment to Rutgers -- where he will be reunited with his former coach.

The official first day recruits can sign with colleges is Nov. 1.

Advertisement

Winston will be the center of the attention in the state's wrestling community this winter when he attempts to win a third straight NJSIAA tournament championship and finish his career undefeated.

Winston, who owns a remarkable 101-0 record in his high school career, informed new Rutgers coach Scott Goodale on Sunday that he has chosen Rutgers over such wrestling powerhouses as Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Illinois and Nebraska.

Goodale coached Jackson to the past two NJSIAA Group 4 team titles and The Star-Ledger Top 20 Trophy in each of those seasons. He posted a 155-16 record in his seven years at Jackson. Goodale was hired on July 31 to replace John Sacchi, who retired in May after a 17-year career at Rutgers.

Winston said a few factors weighed heavily in his decision.

"I don't think I'd be looking at Rutgers if it wasn't for Coach Goodale," Winston said. "With Goodale there, more good wrestlers will choose Rutgers. I wouldn't go there if the team didn't have a chance to win.

"He is also one of the men, besides my dad, I have a lot of trust in."

The only other school Winston visited was Illinois, and the three-day stay in Champaign, Ill., revealed to Winston something else he hadn't expected.

"I was home sick," he said. "I've been away from home before, but, for some reason, being away this time didn't feel right. I'm very close with my family."

Winston was 22-0 as a freshman but broke his wrist and missed the postseason tournaments. He was not a favorite to win the state title as a freshman in 2005 at 140 pounds. Dan Vallimont of Jefferson, now at Penn State, won the 2005 state title at 140 pounds, his second NJSIAA championship.

Winston then won the state championship at 145 pounds in 2006 and the state title at 152 pounds last March. His biggest hurdle in completing his career undefeated will likely come at the Beast of the East tournament in December. The event, which is held in Delaware, kicks off the season and draws many of the nation's top wrestlers.

Winston gained a national reputation as Jackson traveled outside of New Jersey to take on powerful programs from other states. But the lure of some of the nation's top wrestling programs could not sway Winston away from the coach he trusts the most.

"I was going to commit early no matter what," Winston said. "Maybe not this early. When coach Goodale got the Rutgers job, everything changed. It is a decision I am 100 percent positive about."