149 - Dan Osterman (MSU) maj. dec. Jeret Chiri (I), 12-2
    157 - Derek St. John (I) dec. David Cheza (MSU), 9-7
    165 - Jake Kerr (I) dec. Ben Boudro (MSU), 4-2
    174 - Curran Jacobs (MSU) dec. Ethen Lofthouse (I), 6-5
    184 - Grant Gambrall (I) dec. Ian Hinton (MSU), 3-1
    197 - Luke Lofthouse (I) dec. Tyler Dickenson (MSU), 12-5
    Hwt. - Mike McClure (MSU) dec. Blake Rasing (I), 4-2

Zapp's Breakdown:

Cool bonus: Brent Metcalf was on commentary with someone from the Big 10 Network who had no idea about wrestling, and even forgot Metcalf's name at one point, which Metcalf teased him about. I have to say, Metcalf was pretty good and I enjoyed his work. You could even say it was dominant.

125: McDonough looked his best so far. Great job.

133: Tony Ramos went out for the second night in a row, and for the second night got bonus points. Ramos is aggressive and fun to watch. A lot of people are saying Moore regularly kills him in the room, and that may be, but on the mat under the lights, Ramos has looked like the better man to my eye.

141: Mark Ballweg is turning into a bit of a revelation. He is a legitimate AA threat at 141. He seems to have a natural feel for putting guys on their backs as well, which is a bonus.

149: Not much to say. Jeret Chiri tries really, really hard, but he's just not on that level right now.

157: Derek St. John is a man from neutral. Cheza is a solid wrestler, but his big points came on a somewhat flukey granby/Peterson for 5 points. St. John had 4 TD's, and escape, and a RT point.

165: Kerr again came out looking uninspired. He's looked nothing like how he looked at Wrestleoffs. he got the win, but he should have beaten a guy like this by more.

174: Shocking result here, to be honest. I'll be honest, both of Jacobs TD's were very iffy in my mind, but still, Lofthouse struggled and looked pretty awful throughout, including getting ridden for a decent amount of time and not setting up angles from neutral. I'm hoping he was still hungover from his beatdown loss to Reader. Brands very noticeably did NOT shake Jacobs hand after the match when Jacobs came over. People who went said that Brands did shake a few guys hands after the first match, but around 149 or 157 stopped, it's not known why. Metcalf commented on this specific incident saying "there isn't a rule that says you have to shake the opponent's hand as a coach, so maybe that's what Brands was getting at. Or maybe he didn't see him."

184: Grant Gambrall's match against Hinton should have been more decisive, but Gambrall let Hinton get him emotional. Both guys were banging heavy on the head, and finally Hinton literally just punched Gambrall in the head. This followed up with Gambrall attempting a TD/tackling Hinton off the mat and onto Iowa's bench/chairs, and both guys ran back to the center looking like a full on brawl was going to break out. Brands ran out and shove gambrall away from center as the referees grabbed Hinton, and both guys were given an unsportsmanlike penalty point. Ad for the actual wrestling, gambrall was never in danger, but never got into his offense, partially because both guys continued to be very aggressive. Gambrall won by riding Hinton out and then shoving him down as he got up.

197: Lofthouse won this, and it should have been a major, but he inexplicably cut his opponent with 30 seconds left, and couldn't retake him down to resecure the major. Another punk move as after the match was over and Lofthouse was reaching for the handshake, Dickenson just face-palmed him and tried to walk away.

HWT: Rasing continued to be unimpressive in dropping this match to a relative nobody. he has no reliable offensive weapons, and his best asset is he is big and strong, which allows him to ride (but not turn) very well. I eagerly anticipate the Bobby Telford Era (Bobby beat Christian Brantley today in a quality win, by the way).

Overall, fairly dominant performance with a few sour ones from individuals. The dual got chippy at the end, but Metcalf insinuated that things have been chippy between the two team for awhile.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: Iowa 29, Michigan State 10 + Zapp's Breakdown

If I had known Metcalf would be doing commentary I probably would have watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Another punk move as after the match was over and Lofthouse was reaching for the handshake, Dickenson just face-palmed him and tried to walk away.
    That's one of the lamest things I've heard of if he did what I'm visualizing from your description. What exactly do you mean by face-palmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    If I had known Metcalf would be doing commentary I probably would have watched.

That's one of the lamest things I've heard of if he did what I'm visualizing from your description. What exactly do you mean by face-palmed?
    Also occasionally called "piefacing". This picture gives you the general idea.

Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

That's what I was visualizing. How did that not get a team point deducted?

Pretty sure after the brouhaha from 184, and the fact Lofthouse didn't really react, the refs decided "lets just get this over with".

Refs feel sorry for MSU wrestlers because they wrestle for MSU.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

My thoughts on your thoughts...

Tony Ramos continuing to make me look smart for being so high on him coming into the year.

The Michael Kelly pining meter has got to be pegged...

Were all of St. John's TD's off that same single to the left side that he killed Weatherman with?

Ethen Lofthouse breaks my heart.

Seems like the MSU guys may have thrown a temper tantrum about Brands not shaking Cullen Jacobs' hand?

Bobby Telford is going to = That Dude

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    My thoughts on your thoughts...

Tony Ramos continuing to make me look smart for being so high on him coming into the year.

The Michael Kelly pining meter has got to be pegged...

Were all of St. John's TD's off that same single to the left side that he killed Weatherman with?

Ethen Lofthouse breaks my heart.

Seems like the MSU guys may have thrown a temper tantrum about Brands not shaking Cullen Jacobs' hand?

Bobby Telford is going to = That Dude

No Kelly; Brands was asked that question after ISU. Ballweg is dropping and should be available for the Midlands.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

I assumed that's how it would go.

Even so its going to be tough for me to resist making jokes about it...