Thread: Ethen Lofthouse commits to the Hawkeyes

Default Ethen Lofthouse commits to the Hawkeyes

RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Default Re: Ethen Lofthouse commits to the Hawkeyes

UI mines Lofthouse clan again for recruit
    Andy Hamilton • Iowa City Press-Citizen • November 10, 2008

http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com...811100331/1053

The easy part of the recruiting process for Ethen Lofthouse was saying yes to Tom Brands.

The hard part was saying no to everybody else.

But the three-time Utah state champion made a round of phone calls over the weekend, breaking the news to the college wrestling coaches who pursued him that he plans to sign with Brands and the Hawkeyes.

Lofthouse, ranked the No. 43 recruit nationally in the Class of 2009 by InterMat, verbally committed to Iowa during a conversation late Saturday night. He selected the Hawkeyes over Iowa State, Oregon State and Missouri.

"I couldn't have made a wrong decision," said Lofthouse, the nephew of Iowa sophomore Luke Lofthouse.

In the end, though, Ethen said Iowa was the best decision.

"I've always been set on Iowa ever since I was little, growing up watching the Hawks," he said. "Going through the process made it tough. Making relationships with the coaches and getting to know everyone made it a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be."

Oregon State coach Jim Zalesky had an in with the family after recruiting Luke Lofthouse to Iowa in 2004. Brian Smith made a case for Missouri. Iowa State coach Cael Sanderson, a four-time Utah high school state champion, made a pitch for the Cyclones.

"For a second, I was thinking Iowa State," Lofthouse said. "That was after my trip to Iowa State, and that was my first trip. After I went on my trip to Iowa, it was pretty much Iowa from then on.

"I love the coaching staff, love the intensity of the room, I just love the way Iowa wrestles. Then, obviously, my uncle's out there too. It seems like a really good fit for me."

It seems like a good fit for the Hawkeyes, too. Iowa has been trying to add to its depth at the middle- and upper-weights, and Lofthouse is projected to wrestle at 174 or 184 in college.

Lofthouse has a 141-6 career record at Mountain Crest High School. He popped up on the radar of college coaches this past summer when he claimed a Greco-Roman title and placed third in freestyle at the Junior Nationals.

Lofthouse is the fourth wrestler to verbally commit to Iowa's 2009 recruiting class. The Hawkeyes also landed West High standouts Derek St. John and Dylan Carew and two-time Illinois state champion Tony Ramos.

Reach Andy Hamilton at 339-7368 or ahamilton@press-citizen.com.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

The rich get richer.

Look forward to seeing Lofthouse in the Ironman, presumably against Chris Phillips as one projected final.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Luke Lofthouse is his UNCLE? Interesting...

Well, my older sister is older than her uncle.