Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: # of matches to qualify

Default Re: # of matches to qualify

Quote Originally Posted by SetonHallPirate View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm looking at the 2010-2011 Championships handbook, and see nothing of the sort, and I honestly don't remember this being discussed at the NWCA Convention either.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...19b6c8c7999200
    Page 25 of the handbook here discusses qualification procedures.

The only rule related to the number of matches that guys wrestle states that wrestlers need 17 matches in order to be labeled Gold or Silver standard and earn a qualifying spot for their conference at their weight.

If they don't get 17 matches they can still meet the bronze standard and become eligible for an at large bid by doing any of the following.

Having a .700 winning percentage, being top 33 in RPI or coaches rating, beating a Gold or Silver guy, or finishing one spot below the conferences auto qualifier allocation at their weights. Doing any of the following things would make Kirk Smith a bronze standard wrestler and make him eligible to go to NCAA's.

No where does it say "wrestlers need to have 13 matches or win their conference in order to go to NCAA's."

Jensen, actually, wrestlers only need 17 matches in order to earn an RPI. A wrestler can meet Silver Standard (Coaches Ranking and Winning Percentage) with fewer than 17 matches.

That threshold used to be 15. The change from 15 to 17 was a rule change for this year.

Here's the direct quote from Coach Garland (Russ forwarded the e-mail to me):

"If you win your conference then you automatically qualify so in this case if Smith from Boise wins the Pac 10 outright he goes to NCAA's even with only a few matches competed in for the year. The rule is that you have to have competed in at least 13 matches if you don't win your conference outright."

Thanks SHP .

Quote Originally Posted by SetonHallPirate View Post
    Here's the direct quote from Coach Garland (Russ forwarded the e-mail to me):

"If you win your conference then you automatically qualify so in this case if Smith from Boise wins the Pac 10 outright he goes to NCAA's even with only a few matches competed in for the year. The rule is that you have to have competed in at least 13 matches if you don't win your conference outright."
    This statement seems to run contrary to what is written in the rulebook.

Which is why I sent my own follow-up questions to Coach Garland.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post

No where does it say "wrestlers need to have 13 matches or win their conference in order to go to NCAA's."
    Check out page 7. We aren't talking about qualifying a spot for your conference, we are talking about qualifying for Kirk Smith to wrestle at NCAAs.

"The champion in each of the 10 weight classes at each qualifying tournament shall automatically qualify for the national championships."

EDIT: Now, Garland might have been confused about the # of matches, but he's right that as long as Smith wins his conference he's fine.

Why are we acting like he's missed 3 months? It's November still last I checked.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Why are we acting like he's missed 3 months? It's November still last I checked.
    Smith only has about 19 matches left, and that's if he goes to Reno. If I'm right (which I may not be), Boise typically only sends part of their team.

Anyway, the other PAC 10 wrestlers at 184 are the ones who stand to suffer in my mind, not Smith.