Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The biggest flaw in college wrestling JMO

Olympic Champ

Default The biggest flaw in college wrestling JMO

I have thought about it for a long time and it hit me today. The biggest flaw of college wrestling is what happens when someone gets taken down. In college style the bottom guy usually tries to get up and get out. That is all great BUT the top guy is not allowed to get a gut and roll him when the bottom guy exposes himself by standing up. More than that in contrast to freestyle in college style the top guy can?t follow the bottom guy to the feet and then try and launch him for 5 points. In freestyle you can win a match that way. In college style you most likely get disqualified.

IMO this one situational rule is what makes college wrestling much more boring and restrictive due to massive amounts of energy spent on trying to ride the guy. Let them roll and throw each other. It is much more fun.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: The biggest flaw in college wrestling JMO

I don't know if anyone remembers what happened at Goodwill Games in 1998 in a match between Kerry McCoy and Shumilin of Russia. McCoy was on the bottom and did a classic college standup. Shumilin simply followed McCoy with his hands around McCoy’s waist. Then when McCoy got to his feet Shumilin launched him for 5 points and won the match. That was priceless. I could not stop laughing.

Pretty good point Big. I like the idea of being able to gut wrench somebody and expose them if they decide to play possum...guys like Nagel and C.P. would be quaking in their boots if that rule came in to play...

I also think the throw would be great from the stand-up but it worries me as some of these guys may not be able to safely throw, thats my only worry there...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Won't this just eliminate the stand up.

Bottom guys would just belly down to avoid being turned or tossed.

How boring would that be??

I would will to see a bonus near fall point for taking your oppenent directly to his back with a takedown/ throw.

I believe that wrestling should be about pinning.

I'd support any rule that encourages pinning and pinning attempts.

I'm not a fan of the take'em down - let'em up strategy.

Ground&Pound - I'm a fan of scoring. Pin first, but score as many points as you can. The take 'em down and let 'em up has served a lot of my favorite wrestlers well (ala Lincoln Mac over Gerry Abbas in 1993).

I heard Myron Roderick say in a radio interview that "potentially dangerous" has discouraged pinning more than anything. The second thing that prevents pinning is officiating that allows way too much parallel riding without any effort to turn. I'm all for the basic concept of rewarding attempts to pin - I'm just not sure that there's any rule change that will actually lead to more pinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    I would will to see a bonus near fall point for taking your oppenent directly to his back with a takedown/ throw.

I believe that wrestling should be about pinning.

I'd support any rule that encourages pinning and pinning attempts.

I'm not a fan of the take'em down - let'em up strategy.
    Amen! From a team perspective, pinning should always be what a wrestler is going after, since it wins the most points. It would annoy the heck out of me when Askren would do that.

And as a former manager, do you know what a pain it is to keep book on a take em down let em up wrestler?

Ben pinned the 4th most guys ever, I know he liked to take them down and let them up, but he MIGHT be a bad guy to use for this example.

Personally I enjoy mat wrestling, just as much if not more than stuff from neutral.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Ben pinned the 4th most guys ever, I know he liked to take them down and let them up, but he MIGHT be a bad guy to use for this example.

Personally I enjoy mat wrestling, just as much if not more than stuff from neutral.
    Yeah, but he would take 'em down, let 'em up before pinning them. Most of the times that I watched Ben wrestle, I just wanted to yell "PIN HIM ALREADY!" But I thought that would be a bit presumptuous.