Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The biggest flaw in college wrestling JMO

Default Re: The biggest flaw in college wrestling JMO

And as a former manager, do you know what a pain it is to keep book on a take em down let em up wrestler?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure ol' Schlottke could chime in

Olympic Champ

I like college wrestling, and find it more exciting than freestyle. Greco is more exciting than freestyle. Throws are great but I'd rather have the continuous action of folkstyle than the constant stopping and starting and going to the belly in freestyle. I guess it depends in part on what you're used to.

I think the biggest problem in college wrestling is playing the edge and using going out of bounds as a defense. I would be in favor of a modified pushout rule. It should not count as much as a takedown, but maybe a warning for the first and then one point.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I like college wrestling, and find it more exciting than freestyle. Greco is more exciting than freestyle. Throws are great but I'd rather have the continuous action of folkstyle than the constant stopping and starting and going to the belly in freestyle. I guess it depends in part on what you're used to.
    I agree with Clone 100%. My only gripe with college wrestling is that stalling should be called more often, particularly in the neutral position. If a guy only shoots once or twice in the first period (which happens often), they should be called on it.

I hate to say it, but guys like DSchlatter are masters at getting a lead and sitting on it by hand-fighting and blocking. DS got beaten at his own game last year when GG got a lead and then blocked (and backed up) for the last 45 seconds.

Mr. Schlottke's Stats
    Career Record 193-14
    Career Tm Pts 1075 (About 5 per match)
    Career Match Pts 3167 (About 15.5 per match)
    Career Takedowns 1342 (About 6 per match)
    State Champion 2001, 2002

The next closest wrestler at Apple Valley takedowns was Charlie Falck with at 941 and HE was considered a takedown artist. Schlottke dominated. He would never bring these numbers up so I figured I would.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Mr. Schlottke's Stats
    Career Record 193-14

The next closest wrestler at Apple Valley takedowns was Charlie Falck with at 941 and HE was considered a takedown artist. Schlottke dominated. He would never bring these numbers up so I figured I would.
    Yep. He's the exact wrestler that managers hate to keep book for!

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Mr. Schlottke's Stats
    Career Record 193-14

Good stuff Schlott, I knew your were a TD man, I remember watching you in 99 or 00 @Minnxmasstourney.

i remember watching one of his matches that they started showing tape delayed on a local access channel and he was getting warned by the ref because he was taking guys down and letting them up so fast the ref wasn't keeping up with signaling whether or not there had been control (there was of course)
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Where did Mr Schlottke end up wrestling in college? I don't remember him @ Minny... and how the heck did they let a guy like that, in their own backyard get away?