Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1825262728

Thread: 2008 NWCA All Star Classic Predictions/Discussion (Full Line Ups Posted)

Default Re: 2008 NWCA All Star Classic Predictions/Discussion (Full Line Ups Posted)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsnhips View Post
    Baker won
    Yeah, you're right. Navy is probably our bitterest rival so I guess I compartmentalized that one....
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Default Re: 2008 NWCA All Star Classic Predictions/Discussion (Full Line Ups Posted)

Like Gold, I attended last night so here's my take on what went down without rehashing everything that's already been said.

125: Falk came out controlled the entire match and wrestled as solid as I've seen him wrestle. He controlled every tie up, rode solid but with no real attempts to turn and was able to escape with no problems at all. Just a very solid full 7 minutes from Falk.

133 a: As everyone has said it was very even with neither wrestler able to finish from their feet. There were a number of good scrambles by both guys to avoid takedowns through the first two periods which was cool to see. The cradle was the result of Hump getting either lazy or gassed toward the end of the match while attempting a stand up on the edge of the mat. He sat there with his hands on the mat and his butt in the air almost begging for Baker to sink a nice solid near cradle.

133 b: Ditto about Kennedy dominating the first half of the match. Ness had no answer for Kennedy's shots and pretty much looked like he was still adjusting to jumping up in weight. However, Kennedy seemed to shut it down offensively in the second half of the match which gave Ness the opportunity to create his own shots which he was able to finish. The match never really was in doubt, but Ness did a good job of working to the end and making it interesting.

141: Maybe it's just me, but Jaggers looked like a guy who's cutting too much weight. Then again, I thought that of both he and Hump last year and J won a title, so who knows. Anyway, Gallick just looked sharper and stronger from the beginning. The spladle was really an interesting situation. Gallick was riding and had gotten high, and it looked almost as though Jaggers was going for a Peterson roll when Gallick grabbed on to Jaggers' right ankle as they were going over and ended up in what kinda resembled a spladle. I'll be interested in seeing that sequence again from another angle because I was behind them so I couldn't see exactly what was going on with hand control etc. before the roll happened. As has been said, that was basically the match.

149: Everyone was already up on their seats for this one, but then Metcalf decided to smack Caldwell upside the head and Caldwell returned the favor about 10 seconds into the match forcing a warning by the official. After that it was all Metcalf. A lot of the nearfall points were scored when Caldwell would try a roll or something funk related and Metcalf being in great position would simply keep him on his back and get the points. Metcalf's second to last takedown was a fantastic high crotch that looked almost like they were drilling he got in so deep and so smooth without any reaction from Caldwell at all. That's when it was obvious to everyone that Caldwell had broken mentally and it was just a matter of seconds before a tech would end the match.

157: Not much to say, Leen was simply better in every position the entire match and seemed to be just a half step quicker than Sanderson. The match was all but sewn up for Leen when he caught Cyler during a scramble from neutral and stacked him up.

165a: A repeat of what's become a Sponseller trait. He starts slow and then comes roaring back late in the match. The problem for him last night is the Fay is too good to let that happen. The back points in the first were more Fay taking advantage of Colt trying to do too much and Colt's complete lack of hand control on bottom. That said, Fay came right out and took Colt down with little trouble and then rode him like a rented mule for the rest of the period. The crowd really got into it in the third when Colt ripped off a few takedowns in rapid fire succession similar to what he did last year against Kerr in the Iowa dual. He got a little too aggressive and Fay took advantage by just lowering his level and snatching a leg and forcing a stalemate to catch his breath. Fay got the last takedown pretty much in the same way. It made the third period exciting with a lot of action, but Fay is just to experienced for that and did what he needed to do to lock up the win.

165b: I went out to get something to drink between the two 165 matches and got stuck in the line with the concession worker who didn't know how to multi-task, so I missed all but the last 30 seconds.

174: Basically Luke just took it to Borschel for the entire match. Borschel did a decent job forcing some stalemates on some of Luke's shots, but he never got in deep on any shots and I think he only made two or three attempts the entire match. Luke did what he does, stay in good position, take shots only when he get get in deep and finish enough of them to win the match. Neither guy was able to ride the other at all, so it came down to Luke being better on his feet.

184: Boring, but a solid match for Keddy. He was obviously a ton stronger than Caputo and with his short stature made it difficult of Caputo to do anything. Lots of just tying up and pushing by Keddy. Again, boring.

197: As has been said, Varner just dominated from the first whistle. He was more active than I've seen him since his freshman year. Taylor gave away some points with attempts to use funk and got put on his back. Varner rode well and actually showed offense on top, which makes him the only guy last night who actually turned someone without the help of the other guy doing something stupid. Just a pure dominating performance on par with what Metcalf did earlier.

285: Another instance of one guy coming out and setting the tone early and never being seriously challenged. Rosholt never really had to be all that aggressive because he was scoring on all of Massey's shots. Aside from Massey's nice switch to start the second, he really couldn't do much or get Rosholt out of position enough to score.

Overall the matches were fairly boring. Limited offense by all but Varner and Metcalf and every match was won by the guy who came out and scored first.

Most impressive to me on the night were, Falk, Kennedy, Metcalf, Leen and Varner, with the only surprise being how much Kennedy seemed to take Ness out of his game.

I was lucky enough to sit in front of one of those guys who yells out random instructions to the wrestlers. e.g. hand control, up and out, shoot the half, change levels, etc. I love it when I sit next to that guy.
    Last edited by therick; 11-26-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Varner? Boring? Who knew!

Not last night, he made Taylor look like a wide-eyed freshman and capitalized on it every opening Taylor gave him.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Not last night, he made Taylor look like a wide-eyed freshman and capitalized on it every opening Taylor gave him.
    Exactly.

One thing that stood out to me was that pretty much all of the winners were solid position wrestlers. Funk and rolls to initiate scrambles were being trumped by good positioning and that translated into back points and scoring by the guys like Metcalf and Varner and takedowns etc. by guys like Luke.

I think guys come out at the Classic with one of two mindsets. 1. Wrestle conservatively and attempt to win the match. 2. Go out and give the audience a show.

When one guy comes out thinking 1. and the other guy comes out thinking 2. you can get some matches like Caldwell/Metcalf and Varner/Hudson. I think should the pairs meet again with something real on the line you will most certainly see closer matches.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."