Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASU Assistant Aaron Simpson "let go"

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Default Re: ASU Assistant Aaron Simpson "let go"

"Let go", the exact reason never was really revealed. I liked him, but a new coach was probably not a horrible idea.

I also liked him, I also and thought he was a class act and had some nice teams.

Yeah, he said some things though that were unbelievably "politically incorrect" though. Most of us laughed hysterically, but I think that it rubbed some people the wrong way. I think the new AD (African-American) might have been informed of some of these gems.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdindon View Post
    Yeah, he said some things though that were unbelievably "politically incorrect" though. Most of us laughed hysterically, but I think that it rubbed some people the wrong way. I think the new AD (African-American) might have been informed of some of these gems.

If that's the case, I guess my "class act" doesn't fair to well

He never said them in a mean way, I really just think he didn't realize how bad the things that he was saying sounded.

I guess I will chime in now. I have never liked Ortiz as the Coach and have always thought ASU could get a top level coach like a Stiener and that they should have. To let Simson go is a travesty and I will love seeing all the top talent they do get commit somewhere else because of this move. I have been an ASU fan all of my life and it seems to me they are happy just winning the PAC-10 and finishing somewhere near the top at NCAA instead of winning them. This is a shame to let go of what I consider a legend in AZ high school wrestling and a great ambassador of wrestling in AZ. He is obviously a great coach and having only met him twice you can tell he really cares about his kids and wrestling as a whole. Next thing we know they will be giving Larkin the boot as well.

I've heard stories upon stories of Ortiz being a grade-A douche. I know that with the few encounters that I've had with him, he's been a douche. I wonder if Ortiz was worried that Simpson was becoming a better coach than Ortiz. This reminds me a bit of when Ersland was randomly let go from Northwestern.

And, you know, on this board, we're usually pretty nice. We definitely don't call out coaches at this level. The fact that we are talking this way about Ortiz says how much of a douchebag he is.

Here's my post on the "other" forum:

As a former ASU wrestler and alumni, I have questioned some of the decisions that the athletic department has made when it comes to hiring/firing coaches. Last week, the athletic department decided to fire 9 year assistant coach Aaron Simpson. As a former athlete, I really think that this is the worst move that could have possibly been made for the future of ASU wrestling.

To put it simply, Aaron has been the heart and soul of ASU wrestling for the past decade. He was the glue that held our team together when the transtion was made from LeeRoy Smith to Thom Ortiz. He was the key to the success that our team has had over the past years. He is the reason that guys such as myself and even people older than me still follow and support ASU wrestling. I?d venture to say that if you polled every current and former wrestler (last 10 years or so), they would all say that letting Aaron go is a horrible mistake.

Aaron was dismissed because of what was basically a personality conflict between him and Ortiz. The administration said that him and Ortiz didn?t see eye to eye, and that it would be in the best interest of the program if they let him go. If anyone, you have to try pretty hard to have a ?personality conflict? with him. In the wrestling room he is all business, and outside he is as good of a guy as you will ever meet. Townsend Saunders was also fired after the first year due to similar personality conflict. I really wonder how many personality conflicts there will have to be before someone realizes that maybe the assistant coaches aren?t the problem.

The thing that really doesn?t make sense is that Ortiz was almost fired a few months ago. He promised to make a bunch of changes for the better if the administration gave him another chance, and they agreed. It seems to me that he realized that his own butt was on the line, so he had to put the blame somewhere else.

I?m still friends with almost everyone on the current team, and to say that they are all shocked and disappointed would be an understatement. As one of my ex-teammates said, ?It feels like someone died?. We are all upset and feel like this is a huge injustice. I graduated as a Sun Devil, and I am still very close with a lot of alumni and current wrestlers on the team. The guys on the team are in a tough spot, because they can?t be too vocal about this because they can, in a sense, be punished for doing so. I feel bad, because I still want the team to do well, but it?s hard for me to really support the program when they are making decisions as horrible as this one.

Fan told me that Ortiz was supposed to represent the PAC-10 at the convention in Tahoe, but he didn't even show up. Sounds standard.