Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASU Assistant Aaron Simpson "let go"

Default Re: ASU Assistant Aaron Simpson "let go"

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    But the Steiners didn't go to ASU, and Ortiz did. I'm sure that was a factor in the decision.
    I'm sure it was a factor, but a good AD that was looking out for the future of one's program would have selected a more qualified and dedicated coach as Steiner.

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

AD that hired Ortiz was Gene Smith, who was previously the AD at Iowa State. I'm sure that Bobby Douglas gave Ortiz a great recommendation (not because he was looking out for Ortiz, but more than likely because he wanted to get rid of him).

Quote Originally Posted by homerdindon View Post
    Were these parents that you talked to Champ? I plan on writing a bigger rant on the other forum, but I want to take my time on it.
    No, just ASU fans. They were funny, yet serious. I told them I had collegiate coaching experience and they said they would hand deliver my resume to the AD.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdindon View Post
    AD that hired Ortiz was Gene Smith, who was previously the AD at Iowa State. I'm sure that Bobby Douglas gave Ortiz a great recommendation (not because he was looking out for Ortiz, but more than likely because he wanted to get rid of him).

Good stuff, I never knew the connection....Ortiz must have been at ISU for at least 10 years?

Olympic Champ

So he was probably qualified for the job, wouldn't you say?

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Yeah, I think he was there about that long. Yes, he was qualified for the job seeing as how he coached 10+ years at a top program. I wrestled for Ortiz 3 years, and Simpson was my coach for all 5, and I'm just saying that they got rid of the wrong guy, and it's not even remotely close. On the same note, Townsend Saunders was a great coach who cared a ton about the wrestlers on the team, and he was let go after 1 year because they "didn't see eye to eye" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    So he was probably qualified for the job, wouldn't you say?

Obviously, Ortiz is/was qualified for the possition, both as an athlete (back in the good old days of Sun Devil dominance) and as a coach, serving under the great Bobby Douglas, but I said more qualified....In my book, Steiner, had both a better athletic and coaching resume than Ortiz, also this thing called Dedication.

Olympic Champ

Understood. It's kind of hard to measure Dedication from afar, but I've always admired Ortiz and the Steiners from what I know of them, all multi-AAs, under famous coaches, and assistants in top programs.

hey homer, what was the deal with LeRoy? Was he "let go" or did he resign and move on?