Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nike's Donation to Oregon

Default Re: Nike's Donation to Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by wrastler118 View Post
    I believe you can earmark the donation, but there is no guarantee that it goes to the program at all. It all goes into the general fund and then the school decides where the money goes.
    NOT TRUE. If you ask for the money to go to a specifc sport, or fund, and the school doesn't do this, you can revoke the donation. Donations of this level are sealed with contracts, and a revocation clause is standard.

All this discussion about donors to college wrestling programs reminds me of what apparently happened at Notre Dame a dozen years ago. From my interview with then-coach Fran McCann (who is still employed by ND), the program's main benefactor died suddenly, and the school decided that was the time to get rid of the program... nevermind that the rest of the family wanted to continue to support the wrestling program as dad had. I have none of the details beyond this, but it all sounds like it was a bitter mess that left multiple parties -- including the donor's family -- angry and hurt.

Mark

My understanding in the ND situation was that some athletic department officials talked the stil-distraught widow into changing where the money went. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    My understanding in the ND situation was that some athletic department officials talked the stil-distraught widow into changing where the money went. Is that true?
    Blue,

I've not heard that explanation, but that's possible. The way McCann described it -- and the student newspaper at the time -- made it sound like the family had no say-so whatsoever. But that might be their "take" on the situation, not knowing "the rest of the story."

Mark

Not really... Why would a school jeopardize their shoe contract? Schools like Illinois need Nike more than Nike needs them... Shoe/Apparel contracts are not the easiest to come by and Nike has for the most part pulled out of the college market because they don't see a huge benefit for them.

Given the Nike/Oregon connection from the get-go (if you don't know what this is, you might want to reconsider posting until you've looked it up), this could very well be a different situation than typical. I somehow doubt that directing a lot of the Nike money toward wrestling is consistent with their running history or the spirit of the donation.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

We don't need alot. We don't even need a specific amount. We just need Nike to say....don't cut any programs.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

If I remember right Minnesota was going to be a Nike school. I believe J Rob was fighting against that with wrestling though.
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Bluestater is 100% correct...sometimes donations are made with some specific regulations that they are actually refused...the University of Minnesota's stadium naming rights were not sold to one company because of the way that they wanted to spend some of the money.

I think Nike could be swayed to listen to this argument since one less sport at a high profile university in their historical backyard could have an impact on shoe purchases as well as fan bias towards their product. I don't feel like a threat is the right answer though since Nike did not cause this to happen. I just think Nike might have the ear of the AD. Either way, there AD is an A$$hole and I hope he is a short timer. The next guy can come in, replan the athletic budget, bring back wrestling and look like a hero.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."