Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do heavyweights weigh? (All 2010 NCAA Weights Posted)

Default Re: How much do heavyweights weigh?

Bugenhagen might go 210 and Jack 260-265 but no way 280-Kind of amazing most champions were around 220 for decades then the last few years we had some 285 pounder's -there might be a need for a couple of weights to spread out -start at 118 ,127,137,148,159,171 ,184 ,200,215, 216-400. Lots of great wrestlers unable to wrestle just because they are huge .

I've thought for about 30 years we needed a 220-225 weight class.

A couple weeks ago, I posted a story to College Wrestling Examiner titled "How heavy are college heavyweights?" listing the actual weights of some of the big men who wrestled at the 2010 NCAA Division I Championships... as well as past heavyweight champs from 1928 up to 2009.

For 2010 weights, I used a chart in a wrestling magazine... and some of the numbers were wrong. As a number of you figured out, and noted in your posts at in your thread. In other words, I goofed up BIG time.

I contacted the NCAA, and just received the correct weigh-in results, and have revised my article accordingly. Here's the link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-7334-Colle...e-heavyweights

The lightest heavyweight at the 2010 NCAAs? Indiana's Nathan Everhart, 223.6 pounds. The heftiest? Christian Brantley of Northern Iowa, 270.4... tho there were three other big men who tipped the scales within a pound or two of Brantley.

The finalists were very evenly matched. The champ, Iowa State's David Zabriskie, weighed in at 228.2 lbs, while runner-up Jared Rosholt of Oklahoma State was 229.8.

Sorry for any confusion my original data may have caused,
    Mark

PS If you're a fan of the big men of college wrestling, check out these Yahoo groups:
    > For champs from 1928 thru 2000 (Earl McCready thru Brock Lesnar): http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...weight_Champs/

> For champs since 2000: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ight_Champs_2/

Kind of surprised that Rosholt was actually that light. Having watched him through out the year and through his career I had thought the 240'ish number for him looked and sounded accurate.

Any chance you'd be able to post the weight for all 33 guys just for curiosities sake?

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I've thought for about 30 years we needed a 220-225 weight class.
    225 then Unl. would be nice, but if I were in charge, I would add a light weight back in before adding a heavy. I guess I'm biased (being a former lw myself), but the lighter guys are just so much entertaining to watch. Think about it Kr, would you rather add a Jeff Prescott or a Tab Thacker to a line-up?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    225 then Unl. would be nice, but if I were in charge, I would add a light weight back in before adding a heavy. I guess I'm biased (being a former lw myself), but the lighter guys are just so much entertaining to watch. Think about it Kr, would you rather add a Jeff Prescott or a Tab Thacker to a line-up?
    I agree 100%. I lose interest at about 184, I sure as hell don't want to see another boring match added. Bring back 118 before adding another heavy.

Well I guess i am thinking about some of the lighter heavies who were great on their feet & fast! McCoy & Sefter from PSU, Sefter's older brother @ Princeton, Banach of Iowa. I am thinking a lil bit more in the "old days" when Heavy WAS UNLIMITED & you would see a 225er wrestle a 350er.

NOW that's NO FUN to watch for sure.

That williamson guy from WVU was a monster! As is Rey from lehigh. Love to know what they weighed.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I can't speak for KR but IMO I would rather see Everhart and Zabriskie wrestle for the 225 title and then have , say , Rey and Tomei wrestle for the unlimited title . Think of all the guys like Jones from VA. and Z from OSU who are comfortable at 211. in Freestyle . They either give up 50 pounds or suck down to 197 .