Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/24/10 Dual Impact Index

Default Re: 1/24/10 Dual Impact Index

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Maybe one reason Iowa State is ranked above Iowa is that he's got Luke Lofthouse at 197 instead of Chad Beatty. I could understand having Lofthouse in there instead of Beatty if SHP was consistent throught these rankings Why would he still have Cody Cleveland and Jordan Buroughs listed but not Chad? Why not put the guys that are actually wrestling for the mocs and huskers in this ranking?

Pound for Pound makes me laugh too. What kind of flawed formula has Jake Varner as the #1 PfP wrestler in the nation? He may very well be. He certainly has the potential to be. But only 14 of his 18 wins (8 falls) are with bonus points while Metcalf has 19 of his 22 wins (11 falls) by bonus points.
    While I criticized SHP's set of data re: dual strength, given actual practice, I have to defend him on the P4P thing. Varner has simply wrestled a tougher schedule thusfar, which I'm sure weighs on his equation, which gives Varner the advantage, and there's something to be said for that.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

SHP explains somewhere that were he to include Beatty then that would lead to Iowa winning in a prospective dual.

Given the way that he calculates these I actually like looking at them better from a tournament perspective as they're calculated based on a wrestler's performance against all other opponents that they've wrestled. Iowa also leads his tournament rankings by 17 points.

The thing that is pushing Varner up over Metcalf in the "P4P" rankings here is the fact that so far this year he's wrestled tougher opponents than Metcalf has.

I knew that Metcalf hasnt wrestled as tough of competition as Varner when I wrote that I just needed to get it out there. IMO if Metcalf had the strength of schedule he would be P4P champ.

I wonder why he leaves Beatty and Gallick out of his rankings and leaves in guys like Burroughs and Cleveland. Chad is at least going to be back this year whereas Burroughs and Cleveland have been done for a long time. Doesnt this inflate Nebraksa and UTC's place in his rankings?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I knew that Metcalf hasnt wrestled as tough of competition as Varner when I wrote that I just needed to get it out there. IMO if Metcalf had the strength of schedule he would be P4P champ.

I wonder why he leaves Beatty and Gallick out of his rankings and leaves in guys like Burroughs and Cleveland. Chad is at least going to be back this year whereas Burroughs and Cleveland have been done for a long time. Doesnt this inflate Nebraksa and UTC's place in his rankings?
    I believe it's based on percentage of team dates wrestled, so if Luke Lofthouse has wrestled more of Iowa's dates then Chad beatty, then he would get ranked. There is also, I believe, a 30% threshold, so you have to have wrestled at least 30% of your teams dates.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Maybe one reason Iowa State is ranked above Iowa is that he's got Luke Lofthouse at 197 instead of Chad Beatty. I could understand having Lofthouse in there instead of Beatty if SHP was consistent throught these rankings Why would he still have Cody Cleveland and Jordan Buroughs listed but not Chad? Why not put the guys that are actually wrestling for the mocs and huskers in this ranking?

Pound for Pound makes me laugh too. What kind of flawed formula has Jake Varner as the #1 PfP wrestler in the nation? He may very well be. He certainly has the potential to be. But only 14 of his 18 wins (8 falls) are with bonus points while Metcalf has 19 of his 22 wins (11 falls) by bonus points.
    I think Varner actually has 20 wins, 16 of those for bonus points, and 10 by fall. Didn't look into Metcalf's stats, but I'm betting they're right though.

Still a tough call when it comes to arguing the pound for pound best though. Metcalf is very fiery and explosive, puts up tons of points and pins a lot, while Varner pins a lot as well, but doesn't run up the points. Instead he rides his guy for about half the match looking for the pin that way.

I'm fairly new on here, but I love reading through these forums! I used to think I was fairly knowledgeable when it came to wrestling, but reading through here I feel like I don't know jack! Thanks for setting up a great place to discuss the great sport of wrestling.

I feel the same way that you do Fanthelete. I really just appreciate the knowledge that most of these guys bring to the table. Its helped me learn more about the sport and actually learn more about teams I don't normally follow.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Herkey-Nebraska and Chattanooga haven't had anybody with enough competitions to replace either wrestler. Nebraska likely will for Burroughs this weekend (Tyler Koehn), but Chattanooga may not at all, as they're splitting their time between Seth Seneca, Chance Hayes, and Bennett Johnson.