Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallick out for the season

Default Gallick out for the season

Wrestling notebook: Gallick out for the season

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/uncate...for-the-season
    By Chris Williams

This past weekend was a historic one for the Iowa State wrestling program. For the second time in school history, the Cyclones won on the road at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the same season. The only other time that has happened was back in 1971.

Iowa State will hope to ride that momentum heading into this Saturday?s road-competition with sixth-ranked Cornell. Iowa State will have to do that on Saturday and for the rest of the season without one of their top wrestlers.

On Monday morning, Kevin Jackson confirmed to the media that Nick Gallick will be out for the rest of the season, after having hip surgery last Friday.

?The surgery was a little more extensive than they originally thought,? Jackson said. ?The injury was a lot more serious than what we originally thought. He came though the surgery pretty strong. He has a seven to eight month rehab process. We are going to try to get him a medical red-shirt.?

Dalton Jenson will now be asked to step up for the Cyclones to replace Gallick, who placed third at last year?s NCAA Championships at 141-pounds.

?We have to continue to get Dalton a little better,? Jackson said. ?He made one big mistake in the Oklahoma State match, which cost him the fall.?

?Now that he knows that he is the guy, I?m sure that he will be more focused and determined to get better in those areas.?

Jackson on the weekend

?The weekend was another chance to simulate the NCAA Tournament. To have the opportunity to travel to Norman, make weight, wrestle a tough team and then that next day, do a weight control workout but a tough workout, and then have the opportunity to wrestling a quality team like Oklahoma State, make weight again and simulate that three day process that we are going to face at the NCAA Tournament. I thought that we wrestled better against Oklahoma State. I think that we finalized some positions. We were able to score, especially Andrew Sorenson, who was able to score. And Mitch Mueller. They were able to complete their single-leg finishes. I think what cost Ward the match in the Oklahoma State match was the fact that he was unable to complete his single-leg position. I was happy with our performance.?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Default Re: Gallick out for the season

Tough break for Gallick especially and for the team overall. Lucky for them that Jensen has been wrestling well so far in filling in.

Hope Nick is able to get the medical redshirt and is able to come back for one more go round next year.

He had two official bouts this season Iowa and South Dakota. That's way below the minimum, 20% of official bouts. The Cyclone was an Open and does not count toward his medical waiver eligibility. Downside, ordinarily you need to lose 2 years to injury or medical to get the waiver. This one is going to be iffy.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

I am very sorry to hear of this tough break for Gallick. I hope he gets the medical RS.

I will say that Dalton Jensen will open eyes the more mat time he gets. He is a terrific pinner and KJ is the right coach to turn him into an AA contender. He will learn from the mistakes he has made this year. I know some will scoff at this, but I will not be surprised if he makes some noise in March.

Wow......Caldwell (Champ), Bourroughs (Champ), Gallick (3rd) all out w/ injury ! Nickerson (Champ) - Nursing injury (Will he wrestle again?), and Duke Heavyweight (2nd) - WTF?.....Suspended on weapons inquiry???

www.youtube.com/dckundr

Quote Originally Posted by dckundr View Post
    Wow......Caldwell (Champ), Bourroughs (Champ), Gallick (3rd) all out w/ injury ! Nickerson (Champ) - Nursing injury (Will he wrestle again?), and Duke Heavyweight (2nd) - WTF?.....Suspended on weapons inquiry???

www.youtube.com/dckundr
    I did some great drafting in Gold's Fantasy league by picking Burroughs and Gallick with my first two choices....

As for Nickerson, he wrestled on Friday against Lehigh. He looked uncomfortable imo wrestling with the shoulder harness and was really gassed in the third period. But, he came out pretty strong and if the first or second periods were a few seconds longer, he would have had the fall. Koll said he would wrestle most of the rest of Cornell's duals and from what I heard after the Lehigh match, that includes Iowa State this weekend. Of course, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
    I did some great drafting in Gold's Fantasy league by picking Burroughs and Gallick with my first two choices....

As for Nickerson, he wrestled on Friday against Lehigh. He looked uncomfortable imo wrestling with the shoulder harness and was really gassed in the third period. But, he came out pretty strong and if the first or second periods were a few seconds longer, he would have had the fall. Koll said he would wrestle most of the rest of Cornell's duals and from what I heard after the Lehigh match, that includes Iowa State this weekend. Of course, you never know.
    Today's update indicated the plan is for Troy to wrestle against ISU:

125 Troy started out like a ?ball of fire? but faded in the third period. This was Troy?s first ?one hour weigh-in? since last year and it showed. The good news is that he is back down to weight he will be vastly improved for our Sunday Iowa State dual meet.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

That'll be quite the match up between him and Long if he really is wrestling.