Beatty will do what it takes to get back
Andy Hamilton ? Iowa City Press-Citizen ? January 24, 2010

http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com...KS0110/1240326

Chad Beatty said he's doing everything possible to make certain he's ready to wrestle again by the Big Ten Championships, and you get the feeling he's not stretching the truth when he says everything.

Beatty has missed Iowa's last six dual meets after undergoing surgery to repair the lisfranc joint in his right foot. He'll sit out another again today when the top-ranked Hawkeyes wrestle against No. 25 Purdue in Lowell, Ind.

Beatty said he's scheduled to have his hard cast removed Thursday and then the senior 197-pounder will have five weeks to work back into shape for the postseason.

"I'm going to do everything in my power to get out there on that mat," Beatty said. "I'm trying to do everything right -- drink as much Kombucha as I can, go to acupuncture, do whatever I need to do."

Beatty hasn't wrestled since Dec. 30 when he suffered the injury in the closing seconds of a 6-3 win against Wisconsin's Trevor Brandvold in the consolation finals at the Midlands Championships.

"It was kind of a freak injury," Beatty said. "But at the same time, I could've prevented it by just keeping the guy flat on the mat or picking him up and putting him down right away."

Instead, now he's on his third cast and gauging his progress by the look and feel of his foot each time doctors recast it.

"I was pretty down in the dumps the first time I saw it," Beatty said. "It was at two weeks out and it didn't look as good as I wanted it to look."

Beatty said it was black and blue and hurt whenever the doctors poked around his foot. He said all signs were positive last week when he had the cast changed again.

"It looked 10 times better," Beatty said. "They could basically do whatever they wanted and it didn't really hurt at all when they were touching around it and poking around. It was good. I actually moved my foot around when it was out of the cast."

Beatty has been limited to strength training and workouts on a stationary bike since the injury.

"He's progressing, and that's a coach's assessment," Iowa coach Tom Brands said. "It's going to come down to whether the medical assessment is on the same line. Everything looks good and feels good to Beatty, and according to the doctors everything's going as it should right now. We're on a good timeline.

"It's chancy, but the way he's progressing now and the way his frame of mind is now, he's going to be ready to go."

Junior Luke Lofthouse has filled Beatty's spot in Iowa's lineup and compiled a 2-4 record in duals. All four of Lofthouse's losses during this stretch have come against ranked opponents. He's coming off a 9-6 win Friday against ninth-ranked Anthony Biondo of Michigan and takes a 14-10 record into today's match against No. 13 Logan Brown.

Before the injury, Beatty was off to his best start in three seasons as a starter. He was 13-2. Both of his losses came against top-ranked Jake Varner of Iowa State, and Beatty closed the gap against Varner from an eight-point major decision in their first match to a three-point loss in their second meeting.

Beatty climbed to No. 4 in the national rankings after placing third and Midlands and had established himself as the Big Ten's frontrunner at 197. Beatty likely did enough during the first two months to qualify for the gold-silver tier at the weight class, which would make him a strong candidate for an at-large ticket into the NCAA Championships if he doesn't qualify automatically through the Big Ten meet.

"I don't really have an idea yet of what we'll be able to do (for rehabilitation)," Beatty said. "But I'm excited to get this cast off and rehab and get ready to move and start doing stuff."