Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Brands at a Meet

Default Re: Coach Brands at a Meet

for BlueStater:
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Thanks ... ?

I wish I could be all coherent and articulate like bluestater, but I'm afraid the only response I can muster to this particular criticism is: What. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    Sounds like the guy was telling guys like me to 'get a haircut' during the late 60s". The only legit use for a tie is to wipe your face off after you eat soup.

"Johnny Unitas, now THERE'S a haircut you can set your watch to!"

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
    I wonder if Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, John Smith, or Dr. Harold Nichols ever forgot to wear ties to any of their wrestling matches or tournaments. I'm embarassed for the University of Iowa when I see the Brands brothers and their other assistants dressed like they are headed for a picnic in the backyard.

I've been watching Iowa wrestling since the 1950's. I remember watching Shelby Wilson wrestling Ron Gray in Ames in one of the great matches of all time and Nichols' tie was bouncing off his chest so much I thought he was going to lose it. Of course, he never did.

This week John Smith's team wrestled Tom Brands' team. John looked like he belonged in the chair as the coach. Brand looked like he wondered into the coaches' area by mistake. My point is that when you are the coach, you don't dress like one of the wrestlers after a match. You dress as the parents of your next recruit would expect you to dress, as the Iowa alums expect you to dress, etc.

Oh, and Tom, you need to develop some interviewing skills. This hostile crap with the media only turns people off big-time. Learn to talk like a gentleman, even if you don't like to think of yourself that way.

Welcome to this forum, Dr. Norman. Times have changed. Since you've been watching wrestling in Iowa since the 1950s, you've probably noticed that a few other things have changed as well. The horsehair mats are gone. Wrestlers wear singlets now. Polo shirts seem to have become the standard for coaches, not suits. They're more comfortable and practical. I remember that old world, too, and I'm glad its gone.
    Some of the sartorial things you view as professional demeanor, I view as artificially restrictive and pretentious. Things (and people) change, but if wearing a white tie and tails would help Tom Brands win more and recruit better, I'm sure he'd be wearing one. He's very practical that way.

I'm also sorry that you view Tom Brands' immediate post-match intensity as hostility. It's not, but I think you've misinterpreted that. I remember Dan Gable's early press conferences. Heck, I remember Gable speaking to my P.E. class in 1971. Let's just say that his communication skills have improved dramatically.

Oh, and Dr. Norman, why don't you introduce yourself before you begin a rant on your first post. This is an on-line community, not a late-night talk show. As a gentleman, I'm sure that you understand the difference.
    Last edited by grapplefan; 01-18-2010 at 04:07 PM.

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Nice first post. I will be keeping my eye on you. I suspect we may have a alter ego on our hands.
    I do too.
    Last edited by grapplefan; 01-18-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: kindness

Maybe it's Suzies super secret alter ego. She's comin after ya Zapp.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

In case it matters to someone trying to decide if my remarks are inappropriate because I am or am not a Hawkeye fan, I'm happy to set the record straight. I wrestled for Eagle Grove in grades 3-10, transferred to Clarion for a year and a half under Dale Brand, and back to EG for district championships in my senior year - this when both schools were highly competitive. I was recruited by H. Nichols at I. State but decided to leave the state and join Frank Powell's new team when he left New Hampton to become head coach at Adams State. I wrecked a kidney there and my medical clearance was revoked.

When Gary Kurdelmeier was coach at IU, it was fun to be a fan. Gable made it more fun. At one of the NCAA tournaments in NJ, I borrowed a coach's pass from Roger Sanders (coach at Bloomsburg State) and sat down on the floor with a truly dedicated Hawkeye fan, John Irving (author). That week, I was with the Hawkeye team (after they won the NCAA's) at their post-tournament celebration at the Holiday Inn near the Meadowlands in NJ.There were more than a few feeling no pain, including a coach or two. It was great fun! So yeah, I'm a big Hawkeye fan and I'm a fan of the Brand style of wrestling. But I don't buy into this hyper-aggressive crap on-air and people still wear suits and ties when they go to work in many places, particularly if they deal with the public. They don't do it at high tech companies or where they don't interact with the public. But I've worked in universities for 41 years and when you represent one of them, the taxpayers who put the team on the mat, who pay for the mats, who pay the salaries, who buy the buildings, etc. deserve to be proud of more than results. They deserve to be proud of the public image for the state of Iowa that the coaches represent. I'm proud of the team in spite of that which I don't like.

Do you think professors represent their university? Because I can't remember the last time I had a professor who wore a tie in class. I'm not sure how it would have helped them teach better or helped me learn anything, either. And that's in an environment where it would make a lot more sense than in a gymnasium/arena where you are coaching a bunch of sweaty guys.

And why it is OK for coaches to appear drunk in public (at the post-tournament celebration you say you attended "back in the day") but not OK to wear a button-down shirt open at the neck during a meet? Which do you think represents the university better?