Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Speculation: When does it go too far?

Default Forum Speculation: When does it go too far?

Just wanted some opinions from people who are a lot more plugged into the forum culture than I am as i'm relatively new to it.

It seems that there is a lot of controversy on whether it is ok to speculate on a given topic by giving you opinion whether it is based on anything or not.

For example, there are numerous threads about Mason & Deitchler out there, no one seems to have much fact based info on what is going on with them. However there are a ton of opinions, and in a lot of cases posters are being accused of only starting rumers for stating theirs.

I think its ok to speculate, but if you have nothing more than a hunch, why throw it out there for others to take and run with?

Default Re: Forum Speculation: When does it go too far?

Some people just like to see their thoughts in print .I do not know Jake D but I am sure he is a fine young man --ALL I have ever said was that if he could have wrestled -he would have wrestled against ISU-that is it -yet someone thinks I am an expert ?? I am an expert at nothing and don't really care if Jake wrestles or not -Just seems the Minny coaches would keep their fans better informed .

I agree with you on the Minny coaches thing and I'm not trying to start another "where is Jake D" thread...there is enough of those already. I was just saying that reading through forums there is a differing opinion about if it is ok to speculate based on nothing.

If I said: in my opinion Jake D isn't wrestling because both his arms fell off; obviously I don't have evidence of this, but the next 20 posts would be criticizing me for starting a rumor.

Without statements coming from the coaches or media outlets all we can do is speculate to the best of our knowledge but it seems that some just come up with something off the top of their head and try to get people to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by yoces51 View Post
    Just wanted some opinions from people who are a lot more plugged into the forum culture than I am as i'm relatively new to it.

It seems that there is a lot of controversy on whether it is ok to speculate on a given topic by giving you opinion whether it is based on anything or not.

For example, there are numerous threads about Mason & Deitchler out there, no one seems to have much fact based info on what is going on with them. However there are a ton of opinions, and in a lot of cases posters are being accused of only starting rumers for stating theirs.

I think its ok to speculate, but if you have nothing more than a hunch, why throw it out there for others to take and run with?
    As long as you are making sure people know it's just your opinion and not *fact* it's all good. In fact, that's what forums are for

Well put , good sir ,well put .

The only thing that really bugs me is when people try to be all mysterious. "I am very close to Jake's cousin's wife's daughter and I know exactly why he's not wrestling, but I can't tell you. It's a really good reason, though, and it's not what you think!" Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
    The only thing that really bugs me is when people try to be all mysterious. "I am very close to Jake's cousin's wife's daughter and I know exactly why he's not wrestling, but I can't tell you. It's a really good reason, though, and it's not what you think!" Argh!
    Well that's fair. Can you at least tell us if we'll even see him at all this season?

I haven't seen any attacks on any one by anybody. Frustration because of the lack of communication is all I have seen. As Minnesota fans we want to see these so called no. 1 recruiting class(s) or at least tell us why they are not wrestling. When the kids and I go to the pavillion to watch I drop 80$ or so so I think i have a right as a fan to know why these guys are not out there

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by mnwrestlingfan View Post
    I haven't seen any attacks on any one by anybody. Frustration because of the lack of communication is all I have seen. As Minnesota fans we want to see these so called no. 1 recruiting class(s) or at least tell us why they are not wrestling. When the kids and I go to the pavillion to watch I drop 80$ or so so I think i have a right as a fan to know why these guys are not out there
    Good point, mn. As Schlottke says, some speculation is what forums are about as long as it isn't disguised as truth. The speculation on Mason and Deitchler is rather mild compared to some of the rants and insults that go around here. We all want to see the best wrestle the best. And when you get guys as highly touted as Blair's finest (Mason) and an 18-yr-old Olympian (Deitchler) people are going to wan to know why these studs aren't wrestling more.