Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: J Robinson being investigated by University of Minnesota

Default J Robinson being investigated by University of Minnesota

I didn't see this being discussed here so I thought Id bring it up..

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/12/10/u-...wrestling-team

Here is what the young lady writing the article thinks is part of an investigation:

A Daily investigation found:
    -Robinson has sold houses to former wrestlers months after they graduated. In one case, Robinson sold a house to former wrestler Luke Becker for the same price for which Robinson bought it, according to property records. The sale took place four months after Becker graduated, property records show.

After they graduated, had a job, and were able to purchase a home their head coach sold them property.... once at the same price as he purchased it..

Uh... Imagine if he sold one now.. he'd be selling it for LESS than it was worth!

-Robinson discussed real estate with current wrestler Sonny Yohn during the recruiting process, according to Yohn. It is unclear why real estate was brought up during recruitment.

So he told a kid he was recruiting that real estate is something he teaches to the kids he coaches, offered advice on where/when to purchase in an area he has been successful, or provided a rental space that covered his investment.

-Marty Morgan, a former assistant coach and recruiting coordinator, acted as Yohn?s real estate agent when Yohn purchased a house earlier this year. Morgan, who left the team in 2008, recruited Yohn out of high school.

You mean to tell me a former coach used his connections to promote his new job? NO!!

-------

Seems like a non-story... He definitely does have a lot of connections to wrestling within his real estate dealings and if the NCAA/U of M dug hard enough they probably could find an infraction, but I highly doubt he has knowingly broken any NCAA rules.

The fact he openly does business with some many wrestlers he'd have to know it'd eventually draw criticism and from the little I know about him, he really seems to be a man of character.

Default Re: J Robinson being investigated by University of Minnesota

But hey, that's a hell of a deal!

Come to UM, get a wrestling scholly, a good education & a HOUSE to boot!

What recruit could turn that down? How many Gophers on their NC teams NOW have houses? Hmm... ;-P

If you'd like to stay at the University for post grad studies I'll sell you a house on contract if you wrestle for me. I've got alot of them so you can have your choice. You could also rent some of the rooms to my new recruits when they get to town. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours. Shhhhhhhhh.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

World Champ

This sounded kind of fishy to me too, but nothing may become of it. I hope it blows over for the sake of the sport and the Gophs. I bet the NCAA would take a dim view of recruiting and selling real estate at the same time, however.

Maybe Wrestling 411 could become Wrestle with Real Estate 411 on late-night paid-advertising TV.

#1 - I can't see how any of this is a big deal since it is similar, if not the same, stuff that was investigated a couple years back. That investigation showed that nothing took place that shouldn't have.

#2 - Young lady trying to make a name for herself as a reporter, enough said. As a former college athlete I can see this gal being someone not exactly thrilled with athletes and sports and would like to give them a swift kick. Merely my opinion, but I have run across that guy/girl in my college experience and while I understand their angst with percieved priviledges given to athletes I do not condone taking this action if my opinion is accurate with regard to her intentions. It's curious to me that these particular people forget that the athletes are bringing in a lot of revenue to the school that has a hand in helping other students expand their personal college experience.

#3 - Other schools have "networks" as well. This one just happens to revolve around real estate. Iowa is no different, Iowa State is no different, Ohio State is no different, etc, etc, etc. And that just isn't a commentary on wrestling, that is all athletics.

I do agree with grapplefan. I hope this blows over for the sake of the sport.

heard it has been going on for years. Brandon eggum owns a few houses from what i hear

Not many on the board are old enough to remember this ..but Clark Kellogg-the former OSU and Pacer player -was given his REAL ESTATE license when he enrolled at OSU-he pretended to take the test and all but how many licensed Real Estate Agents do you know who are 17 ?? Clark did quite well for himself ..
    NCAA rules prevent a coach from selling or giving their recruits ANYTHING-buying a home for $20,000-then fixing it up and selling it for $20,000. is not good business -If YOHN's house appraises for more than he paid THERE is something to this story .
    If YOHN sells the house upon graduation for $50,000 then he received a $30,000 bribe to wrestle for Minnesota .THIS is exactly how the NCAA will look at this .

No way J Rob did anything wrong, he is a saint.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Not many on the board are old enough to remember this ..but Clark Kellogg-the former OSU and Pacer player -was given his REAL ESTATE license when he enrolled at OSU-he pretended to take the test and all but how many licensed Real Estate Agents do you know who are 17 ?? Clark did quite well for himself ..
    NCAA rules prevent a coach from selling or giving their recruits ANYTHING-buying a home for $20,000-then fixing it up and selling it for $20,000. is not good business -If YOHN's house appraises for more than he paid THERE is something to this story .
    If YOHN sells the house upon graduation for $50,000 then he received a $30,000 bribe to wrestle for Minnesota .THIS is exactly how the NCAA will look at this .
    I don't think he has sold property to athletes under his supervision. The article states several times where he sold them after guys had graduated, though.

The Yohn's purchased the house (the parents put the payment down) and used Marty as their Realtor (who is no longer with the team).

It's been 3+ weeks since this story actually broke, so I would imagine it's a non-story from a writer trying to be a sleuth.