Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Iowa State v. #5 Minnesota Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: #2 Iowa State v. #5 Minnesota Predictions/Discussion

Jensen, you also gave Sonny a point after he lost to Varner.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Sanders wbd-Good match, but Zach will be about 2 td's better.
    Ness wbd-this will be a 3-5 pt. win imo
    Thorn WMD-this should at least be a major, especially given how Thorn has been wrestling.
    Mueller Wbd-Mason has yet to impress me ever in his collegiate career. Mueller took Metcalf down. Good enough for me.
    Deitcher-wmd-He is on my fantasy team and him wrestling this match would mean lots to me, so I'm going to predict it to occur!
    Schlatter-Wbd-Conventional wisdom, and my typical feelings towards Dustin go against this, but i just had a gut feeling just now, so I'm rolling with it.
    Burk-WBD-should be a boring win
    Ward-WBD-Another boring win
    Varner-wmd-he will light yohn up or whoever they put out there. Possible fall here.
    Zabriske wbd

ISU-19 Minn-17
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Grapplefan, there is no way Varner gets a tech fall. Varner has one (1) tech in his entire career. He may get a fall, but the guy just doesn't do enough, even when he's clearly better, to get a tech.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

125: #3 Zach Sanders WBM
    133: #2 Jayson Ness WBM
    141: #6 Mike Thorn WBM
    149: #13 Mitch Mueller WBM
    157:UR Joe Grygelko or #13 Jake Deitchler WBD
    165: #3 Jon Reader WBD
    174: Scott Glasser WBD
    184: #12 Jerome Ward WBM
    197: #1 Jake Varner WBF
    285: #10 Ben Berhow WBD

MINNESOTA 21
    ISU 17

I will take a stab at it:

125: #13 Andrew Long v. #3 Zach Sanders 3-0 Minnesota, Long showed me alot last week but I still like Sanders motor. He generally beats the guys he should and loses to the upper tiers guys. I like Sanders but by a decision only.

133: #5 Nick Fanthorpe v. #2 Jayson Ness 6-0 Minnesota, Ness is at another level and until I see Gomez show himself this year, I think Ness is the guy to beat. Most likely a decision but with Ness, you never know, you could see bonus points but I won't call them here against a guy like Fanthorpe who has become a pretty consistent wrestler against upper tier guys.

141: UR Dalton Jensen v. #6 Mike Thorn 10-0 Minnesota, Going with the major here. Thorn is very active if not combative. I think he gets some bonus points here for Minnesota.

149: #13 Mitch Mueller v. #9 Mario Mason 10-3 Minnesota, my homer in me sees Mason taking this match but I think Mueller may step as the senior in this match. Both guys up until this weekend hadn't had any real impressive victories although Mueller was pinned by Metcalf and beaten by Pyle (Div. III) earlier in the year. I will go with Mueller but certainly not surprised if Mason takes it.

157: UR Andrew Sorenson v. UR Joe Grygelko or #13 Jake Deitchler 10-6 Minnesota, If its Deitchler, I like the decision, if its Grygelko I like a close match with Sorenson pulling it out. Until I know for sure that Deitchler is back on the mat for good, I have to assume he's not and give it to Iowa State.

165: #3 Jon Reader v. #4 Dustin Schlatter 13-6 Minnesota, I have already given Iowa State what I think are possibly two toss up matches but I think this will be a close match and a fun one to watch. Give me the Mongoose in this one now that we know he has his duck back.

174: #11 Duke Burk v. UR Scott Glasser 13-9 Minnesota, I like how Glasser fought tooth and nail last week to come back and take third at the Scuffle. Unfortunately, this is the kind of match that he has yet proven to be able to win when the Gophers have needed him. While I think he can win it, I have to see that kind of a match out of him before I can become a believer and give this one also to Iowa State.

184: #12 Jerome Ward v. UR Kaleb Young 13-12 Minnesota, Like Jensens, I too would like to see Sonny wrestle here and give Ward a go. Both big strong guys who can go toe to toe in the middle of the mat. Still would have to give it to Ward at this point and he has an impressive win over Keddy already at this point.
    If its Young, its possible Ward could hang a major on him and even up the score.

197: #1 Jake Varner v. #18 (at 184) Sonny Yohn 16-13 Iowa State, I too would give the major to Varner as I think he pushes Yohn all over the mat in periods 2 and 3. Varner's just too strong and I think if Sonny forces anything, Varner will convert it to easy points.

285: #5 David Zabriskie v. #10 Ben Berhow 19-13 Iowa State, I have to think Z takes this one again but Berhow I think won't make it easy for him. Zabriskie can't hang bonus on too many guys so I don't think he gets it here and I think it ends up something like 7-3.

Gophers will need some surprising bonus down at 125-141 and a win I think from Mason or Glasser to win this. Should be a fun match.

How bad must Eidensheink look this year to not crack the line-up at 197 for the Gophers.
    Last edited by goferphan; 01-01-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I will take a stab at it:

125: #13 Andrew Long v. #3 Zach Sanders 3-0 Minnesota, Long showed me alot last week but I still like Sanders motor. He generally beats the guys he should and loses to the upper tiers guys. I like Sanders but by a decision only.

133: #5 Nick Fanthorpe v. #2 Jayson Ness 6-0 Minnesota, Ness is at another level and until I see Gomez show himself this year, I think Ness is the guy to beat. Most likely a decision but with Ness, you never know, you could see bonus points but I won't call them here against a guy like Fanthorpe who has become a pretty consistent wrestler against upper tier guys.

141: UR Dalton Jensen v. #6 Mike Thorn 10-0 Minnesota, Going with the major here. Thorn is very active if not combative. I think he gets some bonus points here for Minnesota.

149: #13 Mitch Mueller v. #9 Mario Mason 10-3 Minnesota, my homer in me sees Mason taking this match but I think Mueller may step as the senior in this match. Both guys up until this weekend hadn't had any real impressive victories although Mueller was pinned by Metcalf and beaten by Pyle (Div. III) earlier in the year. I will go with Mueller but certainly not surprised if Mason takes it.

157: UR Andrew Sorenson v. UR Joe Grygelko or #13 Jake Deitchler 10-6 Minnesota, If its Deitchler, I like the decision, if its Grygelko I like a close match with Sorenson pulling it out. Until I know for sure that Deitchler is back on the mat for good, I have to assume he's not and give it to Iowa State.

165: #3 Jon Reader v. #4 Dustin Schlatter 13-6 Minnesota (Both of these guys did nice jobs running scores up against their first three opponents this weekend before settling for chess matches in their matches in the semi's and finals. We should see another chess match here. Dustin got him in freestyle without much trouble this spring, I think he wins a close one here)

174: #11 Duke Burk v. UR Scott Glasser 13-9 Minnesota (Another match up between two guys who had very solid tournaments this weekend. If Glasser is finally healthy this is a match that he could very easily win and that would be massive in terms of the dual for the Gophers)

184: #12 Jerome Ward v. UR Kaleb Young 13-12 Minnesota (In my opinion it may be a better idea to put Yohn down here if he is able to get back to weight quick enough as Ward is a guy that I think he might be able to match up with pretty well. If this is Young then Ward probably wins a decision without much trouble)

197: #1 Jake Varner v. #18 (at 184) Sonny Yohn 16-13 Iowa State (Much as I like Sonny, Varner is Varner and Varner just dominated his way through the Midlands. This is a match that Varner could conceivably get 6 in if he's able to get on top and use his all that pressure he puts on people with his half)

285: #5 David Zabriskie v. #10 Ben Berhow 19-13 Iowa State (Z took the upset loss to Trice in the finals at Midlands but other than that looked pretty solid overall. Berhow took a tough loss to Palma in the first round of the Scuffle and then I don't even know what happened after that, didn't look. Z wins a decision to close things out)

Read more: #2 Iowa State v. #5 Minnesota Predictions/Discussion
    Visit Matfish for Wrestling Shoes
    Isn't this just a C & P of Jensen's predictions?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

I wasn't done yet when I saved it the first time. I usually save and edit a couple of times because sometimes it has thrown me off when I take too long. Go ahead and read it now spaz...I had finished mine up through 157 when you quoted it. That being said, I see the points being pretty close to what Jensens has. For some reason, we are usually pretty close on our scores when we are trying to predict Gopher matches.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Isn't this just a C & P of Jensen's predictions?
    Second half is...

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    For some reason, we are usually pretty close on our scores when we are trying to predict Gopher matches.
    As always...great minds, or simple ones...

Something like that, the second half is now edited as well...sorry for the template plagerism.