Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Matches

Default Challenge Matches

Wouldn't it be great it NCAA (and other) wrestlers regularly challenged outside their weight class in order to provide the most entertaining matchup? (Think in terms of a Schlatter-Burroughs match in their dual tonight, either with Burroughs bumping up or an exhibition bout afterwards.)

If win-loss records were less important, and wrestlers weren't so worried about going undefeated I think we might see more of that. Come on wrestlers and coaches, don't be scared to lose. Everyone loses sometimes! Take on the best at a nearby weight class and put on a great show!

(I'm reminded of a Canadian wrestler who once asked a drawmaster to make sure he got Igali first round. That's the spirit!)

Default Re: Challenge Matches

Burroughs V. Metcalf

World Champ

I remember the Minnesota-Missouri match at National Duals where several weights for the Tigers wrestled up. Askren vs Kish. Very Exciting.

World Champ

Nickerson vs Ness

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    I remember the Minnesota-Missouri match at National Duals where several weights for the Tigers wrestled up. Askren vs Kish. Very Exciting.
    Still remember the absolutely unreal scramble that those two got in at the end of their match, Askren was trying to get backs for the major but Kish stayed after it and wound up with the TD to make the final score 5-4.

Varner vs any heavy
    or
    ryan vs brands...
    coaches take off their ties as a tie breaker...

That's the spirit! Even if it's only an informal exhibition match after the regular dual meet is done, I bet programs would sell more tickets offering best-on-best matchups at every opportunity.

It happens in international style sometimes, like challenge matches at the recent Hargoind tournaments, and the Super Cup or whatever it's called in Russia where Gogchelidze wrestled A-Rod and Gatsalov wrestled Makhov.

IN the early 70s when Yarygin was 100 kilos, after a tourney, he'd wrestle the unlimited winner and kick his ass. Likewise in fairly recent years, the 212 greco winner's 'prize' was to wrestle Karolin.....I could never figure out the point of that one.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    IN the early 70s when Yarygin was 100 kilos, after a tourney, he'd wrestle the unlimited winner and kick his ass. Likewise in fairly recent years, the 212 greco winner's 'prize' was to wrestle Karolin.....I could never figure out the point of that one.
    Seriously, hey? I can only imagine the conversations some of the lightheavyweights must have had before the final's match. "I forfeit. You wrestle Karelin." "No I forfeit." Hopefully he was nice ot the little guys and didn't seriouly injure them.