Thread: Mark Perry Q&A

Default Mark Perry Q&A

Well-Traveled Career
    Mark Perry's wrestling career has taken him all over the country. He grew up Oklahoma, moved to New Jersey in high school to wrestle at Blair Academy, wrestled collegiately at Iowa, spent a year as an assistant coach at Penn State, and is now the top assistant coach on John Azevedo's staff at Cal Poly. InterMat's Andrew Hipps talks to Perry about his decision to come to Cal Poly, whether he ever thought about leaving Iowa during the difficult years, how his relationships have changed with his uncles since college, what it was like wrestling against his uncles' teams and coaching against his brother, whether he plans to pursue an international wrestling career, what the future holds for Cal Poly's wrestling program, and much more.
    http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/5979

Default Re: Mark Perry Q&A

great interview, thanks! I always enjoy Perry's interviews, you get the sense he doesn't hold back anything.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

That was a good interview. I think Perry will be a great coach and will have his own program sooner than later. In just two years he took a true freshman to AA and has been instrumental in bringing in a great recruiting class to Cal Poly. He has a wealth of coaching knowledge to draw from and can understand and apply the two most successful philosophies in wrestling.

I wasnt always the biggest fan of his "style" while wrestling at Iowa but you cannot argue with results. 2,3,1,1 is VERY good. Very often he wrestled while hurt and beat some very good kids that way. I'm very excited for him to get his own program so they can start beating OSU too!

World Champ

Looks like he's going to become a great head coach somewhere.

Redshirt

kinda sad to hear about him and his uncles almost sounds like it hasn't changed.

He's one of my favorite Iowa wrestlers ever, a lot of fun to watch. His interviews are great and engaging. Looking forward to his coaching career, I think he's going to be a VERY VERY good coach.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

I also think he'll be a great coach. If I were a mid-major program right now, I would offer him the head coaching job after this year. It might take him a couple seasons to figure things out and the team might struggle for a few years, but he's a hard worker and I think he would take a program to the next level in 5-7 years.

As much as a lot of the fans drive me to hate Iowa, I like Perry a lot. "I don't care if Johny Hendricks beats me 150 times in a row--I'm going out there to win." What a great attitude...