Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: #4 Minnesota v. #5 Oklahoma State Predictions/Discussion

Default #4 Minnesota v. #5 Oklahoma State Predictions/Discussion

Given the demographics on this board, this may actually wind up being the "marquee" event for many even with Vegas and Iowa/Iowa State on the docket as well.

125: #4 Zach Sanders v. #7 Chris Notte 3-0 Minnesota (The only person Notte gave bonus to last year was Ness, and Ness did do it without back points so it isn't out of the question that it could happen here. I don't think it does though)

133: #2 Jayson Ness v. #6 Jordan Oliver 6-0 Minnesota (Experience prevails, something like 7-3 Ness. I'd be lying if I said that Oliver didn't scare me just a little bit though)

141: #4 Mike Thorn v. #5 Jamal Parks 6-3 Minnesota (Parks got him last year, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here again. Be huge for Minnesota if Thorn could turn this around)

149: #9 Mario Mason v. #12 Albert White 9-3 Minnesota (Like with the match above, Mason got him last year. Don't see if changing)

157: #13 Jake Deitchler v. #9 Neil Erisman 9-6 Minnesota (If Deitchler is healthy, tough first collegiate match for him. Got to give the nod to Erisman for now and say he grinds out a win in a tough match)

165: #1 Dustin Schlatter v. #12 Alex Meade 12-6 Minnesota (Should be a methodical win for Dustin. If he's able to keep him down on the mat after TD's I could see a major. He would only need one TD per period)

174: UR Scott Glasser v. UR Chris McNeil 15-6 Minnesota (Big match for both sides. Glasser should come through here though)

184: #16 Sonny Yohn v. #10 Clayton Foster 18-6 Minnesota (Upset special here, Yohn has looked absolutely beastly so far this year and I think he comes in and knocks off Foster who has had some close matches with guys that he probably shouldn't be having close matches with so far)

197: UR Joe Nord v. #4 Alan Gelogaev 18-10 Minnesota (And it could be worse than a major here given that Nord was pinned twice in less than :45 this past weekend at the Kauffman Brand)

285: #8 Ben Berhow v. #2 Jared Rosholt 18-13 Minnesota (Low scoring 3-2 match that Rosholt wins by finding a TD somewhere. Much like all the other matches that these two have had with each other since they've been in college)

Even though I've got a solid win by Minnesota predicted here OK State definitely makes me nervous.

I could see 133-157 all going the other way from what I've predicted here, Yohn over Foster obviously may not happen and 197 could be worse than what I predicted.

Default Re: #4 Minnesota v. #5 Oklahoma State Predictions/Discussion

I agree it looks like it's going to be a great match. I am a big gopher wrestling fan and love the sport and think it really is second to none as far as the battle that takes place and how old the sport is. However, I don't understand why the coaching staff doesn't do a better job of letting wrestling fans know status of the wrestlers as far as injuries, or if they are going to hold someone out for a match. There have been many times I don't find out until the I walk into the arena and I don't see their name on the lineup sheet. Then there is the dredded forfeit. That's another story. I remember one year at the National Duals Iowa State forfeited their HWT match against the Gophs because the match was out of hand and they didn't want Cole Konrad the beat up on their guy who showed no signs of an injury. How would it play out if a Baseball or football team walked off the field because they didn't think they could catchup. Granted wrestling is alittle different but I pay to see wrestling. Any thoughts?

I noticed Jake Deitchler isn't going to wrestle against Cal State Bakersfield. Then I read this post and you seem to know more about it. I'm glad for this website I can at least ask now and normally it seems as if somebody knows something. I appreciate any insight.

I think you could see Brent Eidenshenk at 197. Remember he was out there in the dual with Missouri at Natty Duals and held Askren to a decision. I think when in doubt, J. Rob is going to go with someone he feels wouldn't give up bonus points here and goes with Eidenshenk possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by castor7777 View Post
    I noticed Jake Deitchler isn't going to wrestle against Cal State Bakersfield. Then I read this post and you seem to know more about it. I'm glad for this website I can at least ask now and normally it seems as if somebody knows something. I appreciate any insight.
    I have no idea one way or the other if Jake is really going to go against OK State next Friday. I've read in multiple places that he's been banged up so that is why he hasn't wrestled yet this year, and isn't wrestling tomorrow night.

I would assume that since he's been banged up what they're trying to do is get him right so he'll be ready to go here.

If there is one dual they would want Jake D at is probably this one.

I would expect to see him starting unless his injury is serious
    Gold is an idiot.

World Champ

This is a big dual. These are two well-stocked teams that hope to compete for next year's team title, and maybe this year's as well. Gopher fans should be nervous. Cowboy fans should be too.

125: #4 Zach Sanders v. #7 Chris Notte 4-0
    Sanders proves why he's underranked at number 4.

133: #2 Jayson Ness v. #6 Jordan Oliver 7-0
    Ness wins a this one, but Oliver is the real deal.

141: #4 Mike Thorn v. #5 Jamal Parks 7-3
    Parks prevails with too much power for hard-working Thorn.

149: #9 Mario Mason v. #12 Albert White 10-3
    Mason wins a close one over talented White.

157: #13 Jake Deitchler v. #9 Neil Erisman 10-6 Minnesota
    Deitchler is banged up, and this early battle goes to Erisman.

165: #1 Dustin Schlatter v. #12 Alex Meade 14-6 Minnesota
    We'll see the best of Schlatter. Could be a major.

174: UR Scott Glasser v. UR Chris McNeil 17-6 Minnesota
    Could go either way depending on Glasser's performance.

184: #16 Sonny Yohn v. #10 Clayton Foster 17-9 Minnesota
    Foster is no pushover, and this will be a test of Yohn's improvement.

197: UR Joe Nord v. #4 Alan Gelogaev 17-15 Minnesota
    The beast from the East will put a big hurt'n on hapless Nord. WBF

285: #8 Ben Berhow v. #2 Jared Rosholt 17-18 Oklahoma State
    Rosholt will win a close one over an improved Berhow.

Frankly, this meet could go either way, with the winner getting bragging rights, and maybe even a slight recruiting advantage.
    Last edited by grapplefan; 11-28-2009 at 02:55 PM.

125 Sanders dec Notte (toss up tho)
    133 Ness dec Oliver (toss up, Ness with experience)
    141 Thorn dec Parks (toss up, bt Parks has looked sloppy this year)
    149 Mason dec white (close match, toss up, don't really know what white can do)
    157 Erisman dec Deitchler (another close match)
    165 Schlatter dec Meade (we'll see what meade can do against the cream of the crop)
    174 Glasser dec McNeil (toss up)
    184 Gregoraev dec Yohn (Yohn has looked good, but Foster should win)
    197 Gregoraev mdec Nord
    285 Rosholt dec Berhow
    Minnesota 18 - State 13
    Close overall dual, with a lot of close matches.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post

133: #2 Jayson Ness v. #6 Jordan Oliver 6-0 Minnesota (Experience prevails, something like 7-3 Ness. I'd be lying if I said that Oliver didn't scare me just a little bit though)
    Wanna sig bet this one for a week?
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsnhips View Post
    Wanna sig bet this one for a week?
    If he doesn't, I will be your Huckleberry...