Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Iowa v. #2 Iowa State Predictions/Discussion

Default #1 Iowa v. #2 Iowa State Predictions/Discussion

Doesn't go off until next Sunday, but like last year the fact that its between the #1 and #2 teams in the country adds even more to the rivalry between the two schools.

In Ames this year. Rankings are this past week's Intermat.

125: #17 Matt McDonough v. #12 Andrew Long 3-0 Iowa State (Both guys are wrestling great so far this year. I personally like Long to take it here though)

133: #4 Daniel Dennis v. #5 Nick Fanthorpe 3-3 (If this is Fanthorpe right here a Daniel Dennis who has been absolutely on fire so far this year is going to give him a rough first match back)

141: #8 Dan LeClere v. #2 Nick Gallick 6-3 Iowa State (LeClere got him in the matches that they wrestled two years ago, but I personally like Gallick to take it here)

149: #1 Brent Metcalf v. #15 Mitch Mueller 8-6 Iowa (Metcalf tech'd him with back points in the dual last year, I'm predicting the same thing to happen again. Fall wouldn't be out of the question)

157: UR Matt Ballweg v. UR Nate Carr 11-6 Iowa (Uninspiring weight for both teams. Nearly gave it to Iowa State just to make things interesting. Most interesting may be just seeing who Iowa sends out here whether its Ballweg, Jannsen, or Kerr)

165: #4 Ryan Morningstar v. #5 Jon Reader 14-6 Iowa (No your eyes aren't deceiving you. I did just predict Ryan Morningstar to defeat a top 5 opponent. I'll be rooting for Reader, but I can't pick against the 3 or 4 times in a row that Morningstar has won)

174: #3 Jay Borschel v. #13 Duke Burk 18-6 Iowa (Borschel got bonus points against Burk in a match two years ago and given the way that he's looked so far this year I think he does it again)

184: #2 Phil Keddy v. #18 Jerome Ward 21-6 Iowa (Probably to the matches that these two had last year. Ward is strong and tough to score on so despite his struggles early this year the match will probably be close on the scoreboard but not appear close when watching)

197: #10 Chad Beatty v. #1 Jake Varner 21-10 Iowa (An actually kind of long awaited match between these two. I think Varner gets a very methodical 4)

285: Jordan Johnson v. David Zabriskie 21-13 Iowa (Z wins, don't think he gets the major though. Johnson has a good gas tank and Z really isn't a big move type of wrestler)

Should be a fun match overall. Could see 125, 141, 157, and 165 all possibly going the other way.
    Last edited by JensenS; 12-01-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Default Re: #1 Iowa v. #2 Iowa State Predictions/Discussion

i like all the picks except i think Metcalf pins and Reader over Morningstar.

World Champ

My guess is that it will me Janssen at 157.

This will be a good test of Beatty's health and development.
    McDonough is the underdog at 125, but he's got the spirit to upset.
    The M* vs. Reader match should be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Doesn't go off until next Sunday, but like last year the fact that its between the #1 and #2 teams in the country adds even more to the rivalry between the two schools.

In Ames this year. Rankings are this past week's Intermat.

125: #17 Matt McDonough v. #12 Andrew Long 3-0 Iowa State (Both guys are wrestling great so far this year. I personally like Long to take it here though)

133: #4 Daniel Dennis v. #5 Nick Fanthorpe 3-3 (If this is Fanthorpe right here a Daniel Dennis who has been absolutely on fire so far this year is going to give him a rough first match back)

141: #8 Dan LeClere v. #2 Nick Gallick 6-3 Iowa State (LeClere got him in the matches that they wrestled two years ago, but I personally like Gallick to take it here)

149: #1 Brent Metcalf v. #15 Mitch Mueller 8-6 Iowa (Metcalf tech'd him with back points in the dual last year, I'm predicting the same thing to happen again. Fall wouldn't be out of the question)

157: UR Matt Ballweg v. UR Nate Carr 11-6 Iowa (Uninspiring weight for both teams. Nearly gave it to Iowa State just to make things interesting. Most interesting may be just seeing who Iowa sends out here whether its Ballweg, Jannsen, or Kerr)

165: #4 Ryan Morningstar v. #5 Jon Reader 14-9 Iowa (No your eyes aren't deceiving you. I did just predict Ryan Morningstar to defeat a top 5 opponent. I'll be rooting for Reader, but I can't pick against the 3 or 4 times in a row that Morningstar has won)

174: #3 Jay Borschel v. #13 Duke Burk 18-9 Iowa (Borschel got bonus points against Burk in a match two years ago and given the way that he's looked so far this year I think he does it again)

184: #2 Phil Keddy v. #18 Jerome Ward 21-9 Iowa (Probably to the matches that these two had last year. Ward is strong and tough to score on so despite his struggles early this year the match will probably be close on the scoreboard but not appear close when watching)

197: #10 Chad Beatty v. #1 Jake Varner 21-13 Iowa (An actually kind of long awaited match between these two. I think Varner gets a very methodical 4)

285: Jordan Johnson v. David Zabriskie 21-16 Iowa (Z wins, don't think he gets the major though. Johnson has a good gas tank and Z really isn't a big move type of wrestler)

Should be a fun match overall. Could see 125, 141, 157, and 165 all possibly going the other way.
    125-Long looks awesome, but so has MCD. Very close and really I could go either way. MM goes to Iowa...good enough for me..I'll go w/ him. WBD
    133-Dennis has been very hot, and Fanthorpe hasnt had a chance to shake the rust off yet. Wrestling Dan Dennis is not a good time to shake the rust off. Dennis WBD
    141-Gallick WBD over Leclere. 2 pt. win or so.
    149-Metcalf pretty much tortures Mueller. He probably will again. Metcalf by TF
    157-Two guys not all that high of a caliber yet. I'm liking whoever Iowa puts out there though. WBD
    165-Reader looked awesome against Rendos. My gut says Reader, my brain says M* since he's beaten him 3 out of 3 times. I'll let my heart break the tie and go w/ M*
    174-J bo gonna whoop up on Burk real nice. WMD
    184-Ward does nothing for 7 minutes...he'll be hard for the Kedster to major. Keddy WBD
    197-Varner WBD-He'll be pushing a major here imo.
    285-Big z wbd.

Iowa-24 Iowa St. 9. Looking at that score...I'm thinking not possible, but it's what I came up w/ so I'll go w/ it.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Does anybody think that there is going to be a super close match like that of Tsirtsis & Gallick? That was an awesome match that went to the wire. Maybe 157 could be the barn burner since this weight does not have much excitement for either team.

Theres going to be alot of close matches. I find it interesting at how guys who aren't considered AA material play such an important part in the outcomes of big matches.

I think reader takes M* this time around
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I think reader takes M* this time around
    Personally, I find this shocking!
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

McD WBD
    Dennis WBD
    Gallick WBD
    Metcalf WTF
    Carr WBD
    Reader WBD
    Borschel WMD
    Keddy WMD
    Varner WMD
    Z WBD