Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metcalf vs. LeValley video

Default Re: Metcalf vs. LeValley video

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Not sure why you wouldn't want a 3-2 match with Metcalf with 1 minute left. Gives you a shot at a counter or a scramble takedown.
    Good point..
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    I don't know. I guess we'll see. Part of the fact was that LeValley was doing his best to shorten the match and slow Metcalf down, and when Metcalf did shoot, prolonged scrambles happened rather then instant Metcalf takedowns. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'll just need to see a few more matches to know.
    My take on it as well. The freestyle guys aren't letting Metcalf bang on their head all day, about time NCAA wrestlers are doing the same. Metcalf's shots are deep but they aren't always in great position, in this match at least. Good bout.

All that said, I'm not sure how the double leg on the edge of the mats could be 0 pts though.

Olympic Champ

It was the exact match you should wrestle against Metcalf if you are not as talented as he is. Tie him up, slow down the pace, work angles so as not to get hammered on, work for stalemate positions, keep it close, and try to steal a win with a late TD. It helps if you are in condition and stick to the plan.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

[ame="http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/236020-iowa-rutgers-bucknell-tri-meet/215844-149-no-1-brent-metcalf-i-dec-no-13-kevin-levalley-b-3-2"]149: No. 1 Brent Metcalf (I) dec. No. 13 Kevin LeValley (B), 3-2 | Iowa, Rutgers, Bucknell Tri Meet on Flowrestling[/ame]

Flo has video of the match shot from a slightly different angle.

Interesting to watch at the very least just to see the Metcalf double leg that they were ruled out of bounds on from another angle.

I watched the flo version and I thought it was a clear feet-to-back takedown. Or is my freestyle based mind missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    149: No. 1 Brent Metcalf (I) dec. No. 13 Kevin LeValley (B), 3-2 | Iowa, Rutgers, Bucknell Tri Meet on Flowrestling

Flo has video of the match shot from a slightly different angle.

Interesting to watch at the very least just to see the Metcalf double leg that they were ruled out of bounds on from another angle.
    Yeah, so...what did you think of that angle? I watched it, but I'm biased, and I'd like to hear some other guys thoughts.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

I think LeValley is getting the Steve BRown phenomanan: people think he is better then he is because of a close match over Metcalf.

He is tall and lanky and has a tough style to wrestle, but I dont think he is a world beater by any stretch. Darkhorse AA candidate, he might come in as a #10-12 seed.
    Gold is an idiot.

I don't really see it as a matter of people overrating LeValley.

No one here is posting that he'll beat Metcalf next time, keep it close next time or beat other top guys at the weight. Just commenting on the match as it was.

In terms of the takedown/no takedown the new angle didn't really change what I thought based off the other one. By the time LeValley's butt hit the mat Metcalf's feet were up in the air off the mat and when his feet came back down to the mat their momentum had carried them both out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Didn't really change what I thought based off the other one.

By the time LeValley's butt hit the mat Metcalf's feet were up in the air off the mat and when his feet came back down to the mat their momentum had carried them both out of bounds.
    Ok, but theoretically, the cylinder of the mat extends above the matitself, according to the rules (or so I am told. I'm not an official).
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...