Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update: 3 Penn wrestlers arrested in Nov for alleged Oct assault

Default Re: Update: 3 Penn wrestlers arrested in Nov for alleged Oct assault

When I started out in 1973, we had a prison population of about 2500. Sconny sold a prison to the feds because Sconny didn't need it. At that time, prisoners were intitled to 'good time' and a prison sentence imposed by a judge was no where near the length of time actually served. In response to public demand, the Legislature passed "Truth in Sentencing" and came up with sentencing guidelines. We now have about 20,000 state prisoners. Point is, I imagine most states including Penn have a similar situation and no judge is likely to sentence first time perps to prison. Jail as a condition of probation maybe.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Prisons are the only growth indusry in Indiana . For a while the DOC was running at over 200% capcity -so they built 4 new prisons -2 of which can't open as they cannot staff them-we are now importing prisoners from other states -recently had a ''mini'' riot as the inmates from Arizona went nuts when they came here and could not smoke and were level 1 ofenders and were being marched to chow in shower shoes -the DOC states they only have to provide any top shoes -no longer state boots -so you have inmates marching around in the rain and snow with flip flops on .
    As long as there are prisons a way will be found to populate them -if I were a level one and was sent 2,000 miles from home I'd riot too. The sentencing guidelines you speak of -are you referring to State or Federal ? the federal guidelines are ridiculous and a few judges have left the bench rather then enforce them -at one point -and I hope it has changed -a first offense cocaine charge carried a non suspendable 15-20 years for anything over a gram , Marijuana anything over 28 grams .Also , if you ever get out you NEVER qualify for any assistance i.e.-food stamps ,housing ,etc. that is only one reason recidivism is at about 90% here .
    As far as violent crimes mandatory jail time is called for -usuallly a year do 6 months -no matter if your squeeky clean or not .

World Champ

Does anyone know the particulars of the aggravated assault that was allegedly committed?