Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sprawl 'N Brawl Results/Discussion

Default Re: Sprawl 'N Brawl Results/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Penn State 18 Rutgers 17

Would have been a big win for the Rutgers program, even if it was against a redshirt laiden PSU. Greenwald and Boyden should not have given up the majors.
    Melde did his part -he now has wins over 3 ranked opponents . Won the 2 matches he wrestled today -one against PSU and the other he beat #17 Washington Of UNI.

World Champ

Nice win by Northern Iowa over Michigan State.

No. 19 Penn State Hammers No. 15 Edinboro to go 3-0 at Sprawl and Brawl Duals

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...112209aad.html

Other Marquee match up
    165 #2 King vs #9 Valimont

165: Dan Vallimont (Lake Hopatcong, N.J.), ranked No. 9 at 165, met defending national champion and second ranked Jarrod King of Edinboro in a much-anticipated meeting at 165. King entered ranked No. 2. Vallimont used a fast low single, turning it into a 2-0 lead at the 2:39 mark. King escaped :31 later to a 2-1 deficit and action resumed in the center circle. King shot low on Vallimont at the 1:25 mark, but the Lion All-American countered and began working his way around for another takedown. But King forced a reset with 1:00 left with Vallimont still up by one. King used a low single to gain control of Vallimont, lifted him off the mat and got a late takedown to lead 3-2 after the first period. Vallimont chose down to start the second stanza and steadily worked his way free to a 3-3 tie at the 1:16 mark. Neither man would notch a takedown for the remainder of the period and action moved to the third period tied 3-3. King chose down to start the final period and quickly escaped to a 4-3 lead. Vallimont shot low, but King countered to gain control of Vallimont's shoulders and tried to work his way around for a takedown. But a stalemate was called and the match was reset with 1:10 left. Vallimont nearly scored with a single leg in front of the Penn State bench, but King managed to flee the mat and force a reset with :40 left. Vallimont was relentless, however, gaining control of King's right leg, but King tied up Vallimont again and forced a reset with :14 left. Vallimont kept shooting, King kept fleeing but time would run out and King escaped with a 4-3 decision. The `Boro win cut PSU's lead to 13-6.

Cael showing his coaching ability here...Erwin is wrestling much better after the pimp slap he recieved, Malinaro is a stud...the guy NEVER quits, and vallimont was ready to wrestle a National Champion...he was aggressive and caused King to run for the border. I like that. Penn State is looking strong...they have a ways to go...but if this was Sunderland's team, they would have gone 1-2 on the day. You start to see a difference in this team already.

Cael definitely deserves credit in those instances but some of the improvement of Erwin (from the Lehigh dual to this week) and Molinaro (from last year to this year) has got to be chalked up to weight as well.

Erwin cut ten fewer pounds yesterday, and Molinaro has been cutting eight fewer so far this year.

As much as I personally like Troy & all of his accomplishments as a wrestler I have to agree with you Badcat. I think that somehow Troy would have had these guys underachieving. I don't know if it's Cael's Christian values or work ethic but his credo of "Student, Athlete or Social: Choose TWO" is paying off. PSU has always been a bit of a party school & even Cael said that PSU wrestling had that rep. I think the team is liking the discipline & focus. NO strike that. I think that they are loving it.

PSU seems to have had a problem with underachieving talent thru the years. It seems to have started with the Deaugustino brothers from North Alleghany in the late 70s. They had great Fr years & then by the time they were Snrs they were worse. I blame the social life, (i.e. weed & drink).

PSU has had other "can't miss" talent like Jayne, Kolat, Billman, Scott & Platt not make it. After I left the area I always wondered what was going on as I know Lorenzo & Fritz were tough but the Lions could never seem to capitalize the way Iowa would year after year. I have to think that despite Troy having some top recruiting classes the missing ingredient was the discipline which HAS to come from the top down. The team seems to respect Cael completely, simply because of his athletic accomplishments plus he seems to be a "production" sort of coach, (If you produce you will be out on the mat no matter whether you are a fr or snr.) I like that. I wish Paterno would coach more that way.

Go Lions....
    Last edited by kr1963; 11-23-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: editing virus

I think you have to be happy if you are a PSU fan after this weeks' results & I don't just mean by the team scores but by how guys are stepping up. I think we can see how the weights are shaping up so far:

125 Pataky, 3-0, 12 team points, win over ranked wrestler, solid performance;
    133 Pearsall 0-1, 0 team points;
    Saltsman, 2-0, 8 team points, looks he is stepping up to be the 133 guy;
    141 Lynch, 0-1, gave up 4 team points;
    Pisani, 1-1, 4 team points, (loss was 2-0), looks like it's leaning his way;
    149 Molinaro, 3-0, 10 team points, beat Peppelman & Gillespie, (who was ranked #18 @ the beginning of the year), moving up a weight has its benefits;
    157 Sanderson, 2-1, 8 team points, after beating #2 Moley, losses to #3 O'Connor 8-2, got taken down 3xs with no offense of his own, big disappointment after last week's win but you know Cunningham & Jenkins will be working with him even more in the practice rooms now;
    165 Valimont, 2-1, 9 team points, lost to #2 King by 1 point;
    174 Lorenzo, 0-3, gave up 10 team points, only scored 2 TDs in all 3 matches;
    184 Erwin, 2-0, 7 team points, good win over Bradshaw, nice rebound after the Lehigh match, again going up a weight for him helps;
    Ortega, 1-0, had a nearfall @ the end of his only match, I think that @ this point Ortega should move down to 174, his more natural weight especially after Lorenzo's results;
    197 Steadman, 2-1, 6 team points, lost 2-1 to #16 Brown, you have to like this kid & now I can see what Cael is looking at;
    285 Wade, 2-1, 9 team points, went 1-1 against ranked wrestlers including a 6-0 loss to #10 Russo who last week pinned everyone on the way to the Okla Gold 285 title, you have to like his improvement as well.

Going undefeated @ 125 & 149 was no shocker but after this past week's debacle @ 174 & 184 you have to be surprised that PSU went 3-0 @ 184 this week. I think Cael has kids like Ortega & Steadman "over-achieving" (i.e. reaching into their true potential) which is something that I feel has been lacking in the wrestling @ PSU for sometime now.

The team competition between Pataky & Molinaro is heating up especially since Cael put in a team TD competition. You have to like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I think you have to be happy if you are a PSU fan after this weeks' results & I don't just mean by the team scores but by how guys are stepping up. I think we can see how the weights are shaping up so far:

125 Pataky, 3-0, 12 team points, win over ranked wrestler, solid performance;
    133 Pearsall 0-1, 0 team points;
    Saltsman, 2-0, 8 team points, looks he is stepping up to be the 133 guy;
    141 Lynch, 0-1, gave up 4 team points;
    Pisani, 1-1, 4 team points, (loss was 2-0), looks like it's leaning his way;
    149 Molinaro, 3-0, 10 team points, beat Peppelman & Gillespie, (who was ranked #18 @ the beginning of the year), moving up a weight has its benefits;
    157 Sanderson, 2-1, 8 team points, after beating #2 Moley, losses to #3 O'Connor 8-2, got taken down 3xs with no offense of his own, big disappointment after last week's win but you know Cunningham & Jenkins will be working with him even more in the practice rooms now;
    165 Valimont, 2-1, 9 team points, lost to #2 King by 1 point;
    174 Lorenzo, 0-3, gave up 10 team points, only scored 2 TDs in all 3 matches;
    184 Erwin, 2-0, 7 team points, good win over Bradshaw, nice rebound after the Lehigh match, again going up a weight for him helps;
    Ortega, 1-0, had a nearfall @ the end of his only match, I think that @ this point Ortega should move down to 174, his more natural weight especially after Lorenzo's results;
    197 Steadman, 2-1, 6 team points, lost 2-1 to #16 Brown, you have to like this kid & now I can see what Cael is looking at;
    285 Wade, 2-1, 9 team points, went 1-1 against ranked wrestlers including a 6-0 loss to #10 Russo who last week pinned everyone on the way to the Okla Gold 285 title, you have to like his improvement as well.

Going undefeated @ 125 & 149 was no shocker but after this past week's debacle @ 174 & 184 you have to be surprised that PSU went 3-0 @ 184 this week. I think Cael has kids like Ortega & Steadman "over-achieving" (i.e. reaching into their true potential) which is something that I feel has been lacking in the wrestling @ PSU for sometime now.

The team competition between Pataky & Molinaro is heating up especially since Cael put in a team TD competition. You have to like that.
    Moving Ortega to 174 is a brilliant idea. Not only to better that slot, but to provide Cael with a little strategy move between 174 and 184 with Ortega and Erwin.