Page 63 of 178 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    You're the only one allowed to post non wrestling stuff?

You must understand the boards are slow, if i have the opportunity to dig, you best believe I shall.
    Dint say that dawg...I got yer shovel ri-cheer here naw...start lookin at about 6 feet undah...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    No, not exactly. I'd say PSU athletics is in good, but not outstanding shape. The BIG (or whatever the new, crappy logo is) and its network is a great help. They do carry a large number of sports, which might hurt a little. But even as a non-basketball fan (at least now that I'm here) I do believe they could have put more into the program and have made a conscious choice to not do so.

At the risk of fueling the fire of Iowa fans, hiring Cael was a substantial shift on philosophy for athletics at PSU. Typically, PSU would hire either 1) a mid-level, moderately respected coach who had solid PSU ties like DeChellis and his predecessors, or someone who had gone to PSU and stayed on as a coach (Fritz, Sunderland). PSU also has been notorious for underpaying their coaches. Paterno is around a million/year which puts him low on the Big10 scale (ridiculously low for his record) and DeChellis was at the bottom, and not by a little.

It will be very interesting to see what direction PSU goes on this. Optimistically, I think they hire/promote an interim and do a full search next year. Pessimistically, they hire yet another marginal candidate with PSU ties. I'd be very, very surprised if they stepped up right now, paid a lot, and made a real run at someone who could improve the recruiting level of the program.
    In the past few years they have started to hire outside the family as they say in Happy Valley. Women's BB did. Soccer & Lacrosse also. They are starting a mens & womens ice hockey program (varsity, they had a club team for years). The Sanderson hire is starting to change their thinking even more. I have no idea on who they will hire 2 replace ED. I am hoping it is someone who can recruit in Philly & Pittsburgh as well as NYC & the Midwest.

Since this is Everything Penn State, thought I'd throw in that the PSU boys basketball coach is leaving so he can coach Navy Bball. From the big 10 to a patriot league team with height restrictions. Guy was a PSU alum. How bad IS that job!?
    Although it looks bad on the surface, from what I've heard/read, Coach D wasn't offered the extension he wanted because the powers that be were not pleased with his progress over the past 8-9 years, so this year probably would have been his last year anyways. The cupboards are pretty bare this year for the bball team, so they are looking at a rough year. Probably a smart move for the coach to try to find a new job coming off an ncaa appearance than waiting until the end of this coming season, which frankly looks pretty bleak.

It will be interesting to see what route they take in the search for a new coach, I doubt they will make a big higher, basketball just isn't a priority at the school right now...

From the big 10 to a patriot league team with height restrictions.
    Now I'm curious. Didn't David Robinson go there? How bad could the restrictions be if a 7-footer isn't too tall?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Now I'm curious. Didn't David Robinson go there? How bad could the restrictions be if a 7-footer isn't too tall?
    Funny story. David(my all time favorite player) was just under the initial height limit(6'6) when he entered the Naval Academy. He shot up to 7 feet during his time there. Unless they can find a player to mimic David's growth patterns 6'6 will be the limit.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Funny story. David(my all time favorite player) was just under the initial height limit(6'6) when he entered the Naval Academy. He shot up to 7 feet during his time there. Unless they can find a player to mimic David's growth patterns 6'6 will be the limit.
    Didn't know that. What kinda freak grows 7-inches in college?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Didn't know that. What kinda freak grows 7-inches in college?
    Vertically?

A freak indeed. 6 inches to be exact.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

The Navy appears to have a waiver option for incoming midshipmen to be up to 6' 8". Not a huge difference, really.