Page 176 of 177 FirstFirst ... 76126166173174175176177 LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,584 of 1585

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Would have been interesting if Marstellar had stayed with PSU...he could have stepped right in at 65 as a true freshmen. Now he's got National Champ Alex Dieringer to compete with at OkSt. And Dieringer is only a junior. Wonder if Chance will try to go 57, 74 or more likely RS this coming season.

Some Okies, like the coach I sat with at NCAA's, think that AD will go 174 and Chance will slide into 165.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Some Okies, like the coach I sat with at NCAA's, think that AD will go 174 and Chance will slide into 165.
    If that's true, seems like a big jump from 57 to 74. Then again, look at the success others have had jumping 2 weight-classes, most notably from what I can recall, Jordan Oliver going from 33 to 49, and Nick Heflin going from 74 to 97.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigdmd View Post
    If that's true, seems like a big jump from 57 to 74. Then again, look at the success others have had jumping 2 weight-classes, most notably from what I can recall, Jordan Oliver going from 33 to 49, and Nick Heflin going from 74 to 97.
    Back when Chance was deciding between PSU and OSU it was rumored that Chance wanted to go at 174 (a factor against going to PSU). If that's true, then you'd have AD at 165 and Chance at 174.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Back when Chance was deciding between PSU and OSU it was rumored that Chance wanted to go at 174 (a factor against going to PSU). If that's true, then you'd have AD at 165 and Chance at 174.
    That seems more likely. Chance spent a lot of his senior year wrestling at 170. 174 in college seems like it would be an easy transition for him. I see Dieringer at 65 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigdmd View Post
    That seems more likely. Chance spent a lot of his senior year wrestling at 170. 174 in college seems like it would be an easy transition for him. I see Dieringer at 65 anyway.
    Yes, I think it's up to Dieringer to pick his weight. I don't see Chance beating him out. But there may not be a conflict.

I haven't seen him in person, but Chance seems short to me for 174. I think he'll struggle more there early in college than he would a weight (or two) down.

I don't mean it as an insult, we Penn Staters have a very similar Brown at that weight; but I think he's a good example. Brown couldn't get out from the much taller Parry very well. I'll give Chance the nod that he'll start his career with better technique than Brown, but I still see it as a possible issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I haven't seen him in person, but Chance seems short to me for 174. I think he'll struggle more there early in college than he would a weight (or two) down.

I don't mean it as an insult, we Penn Staters have a very similar Brown at that weight; but I think he's a good example. Brown couldn't get out from the much taller Parry very well. I'll give Chance the nod that he'll start his career with better technique than Brown, but I still see it as a possible issue.
    I agree with everything you said there, I feel the same way. Although I wouldn't have stood a chance against Chance (see what I did there?) in high school, I always thought that I had an advantage over shorter guys. Leverage, angles, reach, etc seemed to work better.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post

BBL--you could well be right in the comparison of Chance to Brown in terms of body build and getting out against taller guys. But, I'm not sure Brown's difficulties getting out from Perry necessarily demonstrates that. There are some aspects of Perry's style that I don't particularly care for, but he's a bear on top and anyone, no matter how tall there are/aren't has a very tough challenge getting out on him.

Also, IMO shorter guys have to be able to explode on those guys before they can lock in the legs. Not everyone can do that. If a short guy can explode quickly he can neutralize the length of taller guys. I haven't seen Chance enough to know if he can do that on bottom against top competition. If he can, I'm not sure his height will hurt him too much on bottom.