Page 141 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4191131138139140141142143144151 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,269 of 1585

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

"Core Purpose:
    Our purpose is to........................................integrat e intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount."

Can you explain how this part of the NCAA's "core purpose" is to be achieved?

It sure seems like the educational experience that the current football team is being integrated into, as we speak, isn't exactly what the NCAA had in mind.

If the NCAA ignores this issue, would they also be ignoring part of their core purpose?
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Please explain this:

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    It sure seems like the educational experience that the current football team is being integrated into, as we speak, isn't exactly what the NCAA had in mind.

I meant to include this in a previous post-
    There does seem to be an effect on most of the other sports at this time. That I know of, summer sport camp attendance is down, and down substantially. I believe this is a little bit due to a very stagnant economy (I have heard that camp numbers are lower nation-wide and that campers who do go tend to stay closer to home), but it seems to be generally accepted that this is largely the "Sandusky effect". These camps are one of the biggest ways of supplementing (usually assistant) coach's salaries. As numbers drop, not surprisingly, camp staffs either shrink or get paid less. I would see this as a moderate effect on teams, and would probably only become an issue in hiring/retaining assistants if the trend continues for several years.

Wrestling camps, however, seem largely unaffected. It seems that the back to back NCAA titles helped keep numbers high. This is the case even though most campers enrolled well after the news broke last fall.

BlueBloodLion,

Are you suggesting that the members of the current football team are in oblivion and have no thoughts about what is going on around them?

LkwdSteve,
    Are you suggesting that sexual assault of minors is actually part of the educational experience at Penn State? Seriously, are you digging that deep? By that logic, no student should ever go to Pen State.

I believe that part of the mission is to prevent the old stereotype that football players (or whatever) have their own dorms, their dining hall, maybe take a few classes with other football players, and never get integrated into the school.

I'm quite sure the NCAA, the Big 10, the AAU, and the founders of Penn State as well as any other university, never wanted something like this to happen. Thank you for making an absolutely useless comment.

"Are you suggesting that sexual assault of minors is actually part of the educational experience at Penn State? Seriously, are you digging that deep? By that logic, no student should ever go to Pen State."

Sexual assault? Nice diversion attempt.

What the football team is witnessing, up close and personal, is the consequenses of an organizational cover-up. That is what is educational about this. And I'm not the only one saying it. It's a useful lesson because large and important entities, be it universities, corporations, or government bureaucracies have circled wagons, obfuscated, and lied, in the past (and will in the future) to protect self interests. The lesson is unwelcome and unrequested but very real. Consequences, consequences. You don't think some members of the football team are wondering, right now, what might happen?

================================================== =============

You offered the following quote as evidence that the NCAA WILL NOT get involved:

"Our purpose is to........................................integrat e intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount."

My immediate reaction was that the football student-athletes at Penn State are getting quite an educational experience, and quite unexpected, as outlined above. That aside, I challenged this quote that YOU BROUGHT UP as definitive evidence of future NCAA non-involvment.

You justified it with the following quote:

"I believe that part of the mission is to prevent the old stereotype that football players (or whatever) have their own dorms, their dining hall, maybe take a few classes with other football players, and never get integrated into the school."

My thoughts are that your interpretation of the "core purpose" statement may be viewed as too limiting. I suspect that the NCAA, instead, could use it as part-justification for their involvement, if they so wished. It would be in the interpretation.

================================================== ==============

"I'm quite sure the NCAA, the Big 10, the AAU, and the founders of Penn State as well as any other university, never wanted something like this to happen."

Ya think?

Talk about a useless comment.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I meant to include this in a previous post-
    There does seem to be an effect on most of the other sports at this time. That I know of, summer sport camp attendance is down, and down substantially. I believe this is a little bit due to a very stagnant economy (I have heard that camp numbers are lower nation-wide and that campers who do go tend to stay closer to home), but it seems to be generally accepted that this is largely the "Sandusky effect". These camps are one of the biggest ways of supplementing (usually assistant) coach's salaries. As numbers drop, not surprisingly, camp staffs either shrink or get paid less. I would see this as a moderate effect on teams, and would probably only become an issue in hiring/retaining assistants if the trend continues for several years.

Wrestling camps, however, seem largely unaffected. It seems that the back to back NCAA titles helped keep numbers high. This is the case even though most campers enrolled well after the news broke last fall.
    Penn State is one of the few universities where the athletic camps are run by the university and not the coaches. The coaches and counselors will get paid no matter what, though the loss in revenue will definitely hit the athletic department bottom line.

As for the NCAA investigation, because the AD appears directly involved and allegations (with no real evidence) have been made against a coach, there is justification for the NCAA to inquire in relation to institutional control. However, if there is basis for a penalty, I can't imagine anything that could satisfy the NCAA.

They have a bunch of big egos if they think any NCAA penalty is of any consequence to the university in this situation given what it has and will continue to bare, publicly and financially.

What's really embarrassing to the NCAA if the fact Curley was to be awarded the Ad of the Year award in 2011 and the NCAA had to vacate it.

PS, Curley and Schultz, and Spanier if indicted will never testify at their own trials.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

The Colts drafted ED JOHNSON in the 2nd round a few years ago-Ed came with an excellent report from PSU-Turned out Ed was a druggie and PSU covered it up-he failed EVERY urine test given by the league . I know this is not as big a deal as Sandusky yet shows a pattern that goes back several years.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Page 141 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4191131138139140141142143144151 ... LastLast