Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Lehigh-Penn State LIVE VIDEO

Default Re: Lehigh-Penn State LIVE VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I think from that data I can only surmise that Cael has been impressed with Ortega & disappointed with Erwin & may reward the RS Fr with a lower weight. It will be interesting to see what happens when Crowell gets in the mix next semester. Erwin may not wrestle again!
    That would be a great coaching call. It's ballsy...and sends a clear message to the team. In Cael we trust.

Like I said......some good results this weekend for David Erwin, now bumped up to 184. Keep it up David.

Erwin's Win at 184 Propels Nittany Lions to Win Over Rutgers at Sprawl and Brawl Duals
    http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...112209aaa.html

BINGHAMTON, N.Y.; November 22, 2009 - The Penn State Nittany Lion wrestling team, ranked No. 19 in the NWCA Coaches Poll, won the battle of bonus points and got a key win from senior David Erwin (Urbana, Ohio) at 184 to down Rutgers 18-17 in its opening match-up in the 2009 Sprawl and Brawl Duals in Binghamton, N.Y. Each team won five bouts, but Erwin's debut at 184 via major decision was the deciding factor for Penn State.

184: Senior David Erwin (Urbana, Ohio) made his season debut at 184 for Penn State, battling RU's Jesse Boyden. Erwin got the bout's first takedown, using a high double to work his way around Boyden and take an early 2-0 lead. He then cradled the Knight for three near fall points and a 5-0 lead. He reset and began working for another turn. Erwin picked up two more near fall points but Boyden worked his way through for a reversal, cutting Erwin's lead to 7-2 with :20 left in a furious opening period. Boyden managed to ride Erwin out to close out the period. Leading 7-2, Erwin chose down to start the middle period. Boyden put together a solid ride until Erwin escaped to an 8-2 lead with :45 left. Boyden also got called for a first stall warning. Erwin led 8-2 after two periods and Boyden chose neutral to start the third stanza. Erwin used a high single to get another takedown and up his lead to 10-2 with 1:35 left. Erwin then began looking for another chance to turn Boyden over for back points. Erwin built up a minute-plus in riding time and continued to press Boyden, looking for a chance to turn him. While Erwin could not turn the Knight, the ride out and bonus point gave Penn State a critical 11-2 major and put Penn State up 18-11.

I would have to agree with you Salto. I didn't want to give up on him either especially as a 5th year senior but it looks like 174 may have been a real tough weight for him to make based upon the first few weeks performance. I hope he keeps it going.