Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 NWCA All Star Classic: Predictions/Line Ups

World Champ

Default Re: 2009 NWCA All Star Classic: Predictions/Line Ups

I love to watch Sanders wrestle, but it will frustrate the heck out of me if he does something dumb.
    Tip for Sanders:
    Trap Robles' leg. Work away from his massive upper body.
    Should that come as a surprise for anyone at 125 this year?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Actually just watched the match for the first time since last December and I was kind of struck by how good of a job Sanders did on the feet in terms of controlling the pace with an underhook especially in the first period.

Donahoe (in the semi's at NCAA's) and Ashmore (in their intersquad according to written accounts) made heavy use of a front head to try and control things.

The thing that would worry me about using a front head on Robles is that if you aren't really active with it you could leave yourself open to Robles using his strength and hitting a dump.
    So Robles would ''pull a Precin'' on Sanders . That is what I think would happen too . Then as you are coming off your back he starts using your momentum to tilt you every which way .

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    So Robles would ''pull a Precin'' on Sanders . That is what I think would happen too .
    Absolutely.

As strong as he is, if you just clamp that front head on and just stand in front of him that is probably what is going to happen.

He isn't quite as good as Precin is with it, but he's proven good enough to get the job done with the move.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

125: #2 Anthony Robles (Arizona State) v. #4 Zach Sanders (Minnesota)
    I was there when Robles got a hold of Sanders wrist @ NCAA's and worked him over good. I also was wondering if anyone remembers the bad sportsmanship from Sanders after that match? I wills ay Sanders tried to make right and I do think it was a fluke incident. I think Robles is going to have a more difficult time this season as he is high on people's "watch" list. Sanders wins this match early in the season by DEC.

133: #4 Steve Bell (Maryland) v. #5 Daniel Dennis (Iowa)
    Dennis gets a workmanlike 6-2 victory over Bell who will not All American this year.

141: #2 Nick Gallick (Iowa State) v. #3 Alex Krom (Maryland)
    Gallick pins Krom in a wierd fashion.

149: Metcalf

157: #1 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska)
    Burroughs does the business from one knee and gets atleast 5 TD's in a MD against Moley

165: #4 Jon Reader (Iowa State) v. #6 Andy Rendos (Bucknell)
    Reader wins as Rendos has his usual early season troubles.

174: #2 Chris Henrich (Virginia)* v. ???
    Not sure who he is going against, but I'm betting against Henrich

184: #4 Max Askren (Missouri) v. #5 Josh Patterson)
    One of the better match ups of the night. Askren shows why he should have been @ 184 the whole time and picks up a DEC.

197: #1 Jake Varner (Iowa State) v. #2 Craig Brester (Nebraska)
    Varner in a yawner.

285: #1 Mark Ellis (Missouri) v. #5 David Zabriskie (Iowa State)
    Big Z in a snooze fest
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Give me Sanders over Robles in the rubber match

Dennis over Bell (who wont AA this year) in a match that is low scoring and pretty boring

Gallick over Krom 2 TDs to 0

Burroughs in dominant fashion, although I dont know if he gets the major

Reader by 6

Patterson by world shocking Pin

Varner by a TD

Z in the last 30 seconds of the match. Or possibly OT
    Gold is an idiot.

Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsnhips View Post
    125: #2 Anthony Robles (Arizona State) v. #4 Zach Sanders (Minnesota)
    I was there when Robles got a hold of Sanders wrist @ NCAA's and worked him over good. I also was wondering if anyone remembers the bad sportsmanship from Sanders after that match? I wills ay Sanders tried to make right and I do think it was a fluke incident. I think Robles is going to have a more difficult time this season as he is high on people's "watch" list. Sanders wins this match early in the season by DEC.

133: #4 Steve Bell (Maryland) v. #5 Daniel Dennis (Iowa)
    Dennis gets a workmanlike 6-2 victory over Bell who will not All American this year.

141: #2 Nick Gallick (Iowa State) v. #3 Alex Krom (Maryland)
    Gallick pins Krom in a wierd fashion.

149: Metcalf

157: #1 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska)
    Burroughs does the business from one knee and gets atleast 5 TD's in a MD against Moley

165: #4 Jon Reader (Iowa State) v. #6 Andy Rendos (Bucknell)
    Reader wins as Rendos has his usual early season troubles.

174: #2 Chris Henrich (Virginia)* v. ???
    Not sure who he is going against, but I'm betting against Henrich

184: #4 Max Askren (Missouri) v. #5 Josh Patterson)
    One of the better match ups of the night. Askren shows why he should have been @ 184 the whole time and picks up a DEC.

197: #1 Jake Varner (Iowa State) v. #2 Craig Brester (Nebraska)
    Varner in a yawner.

285: #1 Mark Ellis (Missouri) v. #5 David Zabriskie (Iowa State)
    Big Z in a snooze fest
    I think Jake may surprise you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    133-Dennis will beat Bell who had the easiest path to AA I've seen in awhile. Please don't hurt me terp
    141-Gallick should win too.(I'm changing my identity to hide from Terp now)
    As Maryland enters the second full season under Kerry McCoy I would look for a marked improvement from the entire team. There was some hesitation last year in buying into a slightly different system. Everyone is fully on-board this year.

133 - You have a valid point in that Bell didn't beat any seeded wrestlers last year, though coming from the 12th seed himself seems to be overlooked. Also ignored is his larger body of work, especially his first trip to the NCAAs when he won three bouts and knocked two returning AAs from the tournament.

Bell is fully healthy and is one of four Terps capable of reaching the NCAA finals this year, though 133 is the deepest weight of any of the four. Bell will likely finish as a high AA.

Bell repeats his win over Dennis from last year.

141 - Gallick beat Krom in last year's consolation semis, so your prediction isn't unreasonable. The mental aspect of coming back from losing in the semis in your first trip to the NCAAs is a tough hurdle to overcome.

Alex doesn't have that hurdle this time around - Krom wins.

174 - I'll go with the second best 174 pounder in the ACC to win.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingTerp View Post
    As Maryland enters the second full season under Kerry McCoy I would look for a marked improvement from the entire team. There was some hesitation last year in buying into a slightly different system. Everyone is fully on-board this year.

133 - You have a valid point in that Bell didn't beat any seeded wrestlers last year, though coming from the 12th seed himself seems to be overlooked. Also ignored is his larger body of work, especially his first trip to the NCAAs when he won three bouts and knocked two returning AAs from the tournament.

Bell is fully healthy and is one of four Terps capable of reaching the NCAA finals this year, though 133 is the deepest weight of any of the four. Bell will likely finish as a high AA.

Bell repeats his win over Dennis from last year.

141 - Gallick beat Krom in last year's consolation semis, so your prediction isn't unreasonable. The mental aspect of coming back from losing in the semis in your first trip to the NCAAs is a tough hurdle to overcome.

Alex doesn't have that hurdle this time around - Krom wins.
    I'm trying to find the 2 AA's that Bell beat last year at NCAA's. Not able to figure that one out. I really dont think he has one chance at all to make the finals.

I would bet the farm he will not make the finals. I'm really not sure he'll AA again...leaning towards no.

Your case for Krom is that because he made the semis and lost, this gives him a mental edge over a guy who placed higher than him? Not to mention a guy who beat him last year.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I'm trying to find the 2 AA's that Bell beat last year at NCAA's. Not able to figure that one out.
    Thats because he isn't talking about last year, he's talking about 08 when Bell sent Andrae Hernandez and Tyler McCormick home on the backside of the bracket.