Thread: True Freshman All Americans

Default True Freshman All Americans

While this would probably be easier to try and project later on when we have a better idea of which guys are wrestling, and who isn't I figured we'll kick things off here now.

Last year we had Sentes, Howe, Wright, and Simaz.

I want to say in advance I will not be listing David Taylor or Eric Grajales below as I'm assuming both are going to redshirt.

This year the two guys I like as true freshman are the guys who were listed in the rankings right after Taylor and Grajales, Chris Perry and Kyle Dake.

Perry is a guy who may redshirt but he's also a guy who may wind up wrestling especially if Clayton Foster can't effectively make the cut down to 184 (Foster has a redshirt to burn so this wouldn't necessarily be an awful thing). Perry has had a great summer with wins over Quentin Wright and Kirk Smith and Smith has shown that he knows how to handle true freshmen.

I said that Smith knows how to handle true freshmen, but Koll is a guy that has shown that he may be even better. He had a true freshman AA last year in Cam Simaz and I like him to possibly get another one this year with Dake. With Nickerson and Grey there as workout partners Dake is a guy who is already very good but who can and will probably get better quickly.

Default Re: True Freshman All Americans

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I said that Smith knows how to handle true freshmen, but Koll is a guy that has shown that he may be even better. He had a true freshman AA last year in Cam Simaz and I like him to possibly get another one this year with Dake. With Nickerson and Grey there as workout partners Dake is a guy who is already very good but who can and will probably get better quickly.
    Koll has known Dake for many years and has recently started calling him "the second coming of Troy". Being compared to one of the best 3 wrestlers in school history before ever stepping on the mat -- Koll's setting some incredibly high expectations. But Koll expects freshmen AAs with Simaz, Lewnes and Grey in the past 2 years. Dake certainly has a chance.