Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst NCAA Champ Ever

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Default Worst NCAA Champ Ever

Paul Donahoe?

Someone tried to say Rob Rohn, but that finals was just too great. I don't give an eff what anybody says......that is a great way to win a match like that. The look on his face after he stuck Lambrecht looked like he just accidentally put a wrecking ball through a fine china shop.

Anyway....sorry to get off topic.

I can say that Rosholt is easily the worst 3 timer of all time.

And if we're gonna go there...Cael Sanderson is the worst undefeated 4x champ of all time.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Default Re: Worst NCAA Champ Ever

Well Cael is the only undefeated 4x champ so I guess that makes him the best and the worst.

Rosholt won when he had to, I dont think it is right to say he is the worst 3xer and if that is true I would trade my wrestling career in for being the worst 1x national champ.

Regular seasons dont mean anything, all that matter is how you finish. Look at Trenge he is a great wrestler but when it counted he could not get it done. I dont care if you lost every match all year long and then came on at the end to win a title, you still won when it counted.

This is funny because we always want to look at who is the best to never win and who was the worst to ever win. Lets just give credit where credit is due and be honest.

I just had to add that if my team lost every dual meet and then won a state title I am still the coach of a state championship team and those kids are still champs. If you are the best wrestle like it when it counts and prove it.

"I just had to add that if my team lost every dual meet and then won a state title I am still the coach of a state championship team and those kids are still champs."

In wrestling, that's not so far fetched. If you have four or five outstanding wrestlers and no one else, you won't win a dual meet, but you can win the State Championship (not in a dual meet format, but a normal tournament format).
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Didn't Mark Branch have a losing record going into the NCAA tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Didn't Mark Branch have a losing record going into the NCAA tournament?

In 1994 Branch went into the tourney at or just below .500. 1st round he majored my teammate/homeboy Chad Renner the #2 seed. The other crazy thing about 67 that year, Laszlo from Fullerton was also unseeded and about a .500 wrestler that made the finals by winning every match by a point. Between the two of them they may have had a combined record of 30 and 30

And about the thread...... there is NO worst cahmp!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsnhips View Post

And if we're gonna go there...Cael Sanderson is the worst undefeated 4x champ of all time.
    Well... if you include D3 (Marcus) would probably be the worst 4x undefeated then.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    "I just had to add that if my team lost every dual meet and then won a state title I am still the coach of a state championship team and those kids are still champs."

In wrestling, that's not so far fetched. If you have four or five outstanding wrestlers and no one else, you won't win a dual meet, but you can win the State Championship (not in a dual meet format, but a normal tournament format).
    Look at the Gophers v Okie State in 2006...you can damn well guarantee that the Gophers would have won 8 out of 10 dual meet matches and yet really had no chance to compete with Okie State in the NCAA championship format...Good points Spider guys.

BTW, they are right. Rosholt was by far the worst three timer and you are right, I would take that title any day.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

This topic whenever it comes up always makes me laugh, although I can't tell if Grips is being serious or if he's joking. I remember after Rosholt won his third, some angry Nebraska fan started like ten threads about how he was the worst three timer ever. That was funny.

I'd like to submit Mr. Pat Smith's name for worst ever four time D1 champ. All in favor?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

[QUOTE=JensenS;9040]This topic whenever it comes up always makes me laugh, although I can't tell if Grips is being serious or if he's joking.QUOTE]

Yatzee. The frickin topic of this thread is a damn oxymoron. I still think its funny to talk about. The Cael joke should have given it away.

"Worst" is just a funny way of saying "surprising" I guess. Yes....Rosholt won 3. He was the man when it counted. Bottom line. But boy...let me tell you what....I was shocked everytime he was atop that podium. Same with Hendricks. The first year he won it, I thought Letters would be 100% unstoppable. The second year he won fair and square .

The topic is not designed to disrepect, although I think deep down, I realize its not in the best of taste.

But, cmon, Paul Donahoe? I can't believe that happened.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.