Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ten and 20 years ago in wrestling ? Where are the programs?

Default Re: Ten and 20 years ago in wrestling ? Where are the programs?

What makes me sad about ND and Marquette is that as a Catholic and a wrestling fan, it's hard to find a school that is both. There are plenty of Catholic universities in this country; I attend one for grad school. But Catholic, D-I schools with wrestling? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    What makes me sad about ND and Marquette is that as a Catholic and a wrestling fan, it's hard to find a school that is both. There are plenty of Catholic universities in this country; I attend one for grad school. But Catholic, D-I schools with wrestling? Not so much.
    Having grown up in South Bend right around when this happened, I can tell you that it happened pretty unceremoniously. The university gave several reasons, some of them standard ("no community support", e.g. low attendance at meets) to "facility upgrades needed" (e.g. we don't want to pay for a new building, but let's spend $50 million on a new hockey arena).

In truth the last point is probably more correct. IMHO I think hockey is what did wrestling in at ND, but not necessarily for the reasons given. Hockey was brought back to ND in the early 80s, after being demoted to club sport but when they joined the WCHA conference, they began to pack in the folks in the hockey arena due to regular games against close Big 10 rivals. The JACC, where hockey competes, was always seen as a piss poor arena for hockey because of its size and its shared facilities with the basketball team and other sports hosted in the "Athletic and Convocations Center". Wrestling used it, as well as some other sports, for training purposes but those teams didn't have the influence (i.e. donor base) that hockey has. New buildings were created to make room for other sports, but wrestling was left without a home and without any major donors that could stand up for it, the university killed it to make room for more hockey equipment. The JACC is scheduled to be gutted and a new state of the art arena soley for hockey is goingto be built.

I don't have anything against hockey btw--I loved going to ND hockey games when I was growing up because it was cheap and the crowd was pretty wild. But I am at least 75% hockey is what killed wrestling at ND.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    I consider Notre Dame on a par with Marquette. ND had/has the financial capability to develop a slate a women's sports to satisfy IX without impacting academic funding. But then, to go pick the pockets of the benefactor fully funding the program after he dies and divert those funds elsewhere, could have been investigated as criminal fraud had it not involved a university.
    Th is is outrageous ! a man leaves his money to the university under the caveate the funds be used for A and said funds are moved to support B should be against the law .On a side note -when holtz was still flying high why do you think he resigned ? because he was about to pass Rockne in career wins -can't have a non-catholic do that can we ??