Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gannett deals blow to wrestling coverage

Default Re: Gannett deals blow to wrestling coverage

Iowa is the biggest wrestling state in this country.
    Germany on the other hand is the biggest country.

World Champ

What a dumb thing for the Register to do. I understand why, but it's still dumb.
    God Bless all you wrestling journalists out there. Keep up the good work!

Like Dart Shark, I hope McCool lands where he can continue to cover wrestling.

I don't think the Des Moines Register is long for the world and that saddens and angers me. In additon to the layoffs, they now no longer print their own newspaper. It's cheaper for them to farm it out to the Cedar Rapids Gazette. The Sunday edition that goes on news stands around the state - but outside the metro Des Moines area - is a scaled back version that no longer even contains the New York Times crossword.

My uncle, Vernon Brown, worked for the Register for over 30 years, first as a photographer (he shot 3 Rose Bowls - the first in 1959) and then in management.

Every sports fan in Iowa looked forward to the old Sunday "Big Peach". In those days (the '50s, '60s and '70s) it might have been one of the best sports sections in America. Donald Kaul's Over the Coffee was the first political commentary I read with any regularity (take Keith Olbermann, move three steps to the left and you have Kaul's leanings). It is, of course, the newspaper that brought us the "Gable Fails" headline in 1970.

The newspaper business hasn't found a way to differentiate itself in today's world. The industry's survival will depend upon developing a new business model. As a newspaper junkie - I hope they figure it out.
    2011 NAIA Wrestling Championships, March 3, 4 & 5, Cedar Rapids, IA. I'll see you there.

Beautifully put, Jim.

Growing up in northwest Illinois (20 miles east of Clinton, Iowa), the Sunday Des Moines Register was sold at the newsstand/toy store (yeah, what a combo) in my hometown. My dad would pick it up (along with the Chicago Tribune) on our way home from church, which was around the corner. I remember The Peach well! (For those who aren't of a certain age from the Midwest, it was actually printed on peach-color paper, so it was very easy to find amid all the sections.) 35-40 years ago, it was the one paper I could count on for amateur wrestling coverage.

That's incredible that the DSM Reg is now printed in Cedar Rapids, over a hundred miles away! I can imagine it's a matter of "efficiencies of scale."

Thanks for the walk down memory lane,
    Mark
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7...ter-Dan-McCool

Mark - Morrison?
    2011 NAIA Wrestling Championships, March 3, 4 & 5, Cedar Rapids, IA. I'll see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    Mark - Morrison?
    Close. Sterling, hometown to the Krafts (as in Ken, former wrestling coach at Northwestern) and a good wrestling program back in the day. My mileage from Clinton may be a bit short -- it may have been 30 miles. ;-)

Mark

World Champ

I don't think the Des Moines Register is long for the world and that saddens and angers me. In additon to the layoffs, they now no longer print their own newspaper. It's cheaper for them to farm it out to the Cedar Rapids Gazette. The Sunday edition that goes on news stands around the state - but outside the metro Des Moines area - is a scaled back version that no longer even contains the New York Times crossword.

My uncle, Vernon Brown, worked for the Register for over 30 years, first as a photographer (he shot 3 Rose Bowls - the first in 1959) and then in management.

Every sports fan in Iowa looked forward to the old Sunday "Big Peach". In those days (the '50s, '60s and '70s) it might have been one of the best sports sections in America. Donald Kaul's Over the Coffee was the first political commentary I read with any regularity (take Keith Olbermann, move three steps to the left and you have Kaul's leanings). It is, of course, the newspaper that brought us the "Gable Fails" headline in 1970.

The newspaper business hasn't found a way to differentiate itself in today's world. The industry's survival will depend upon developing a new business model. As a newspaper junkie - I hope they figure it out.
    GG,
    As a guy in print publishing (mostly), I can tell you that it's really bad all over. The quadruple whammy of a major recession, the rise of low-or-no-profit internet sites, rise of paper costs, and the rise of distribution costs has hammered publishers and the folks who depend on them for a livelihood. The internet is the new business model, and get ready for mandatory paid content, because it's coming. It has to. Internet ad revenue is just not large enough to support decent free content.

I miss the old Register too: a world-class, Pulitzer-winning paper. I vaguely remember when Donald Kaul wrote about a police suspect in red pajamas who escaped unseen into an ordinary crowd (of hippies) in Iowa City. Hilarious. The Gazette was a small-town social rag, but the Register was a world-class newspaper that happened to come from Des Moines.

I don't think the Des Moines Register is long for the world and that saddens and angers me. In additon to the layoffs, they now no longer print their own newspaper. It's cheaper for them to farm it out to the Cedar Rapids Gazette.
    I don't disagree with any of Jim's sentiments about the decline of newspapers in general or the Register in particular, but just to clarify this point: It is not the Register that is now being printed by the Cedar Rapids Gazette, but rather the other Gannett paper in Iowa, the Iowa City Press-Citizen (home to stellar wrestling writer Andy Hamilton). Until this change, the P-C had been printed in Des Moines on the Register's fairly new press, since their own press was shut down and sold off a couple of years ago. And it's not just printing -- the entire P-C circulation department has been laid off and the Gazette will handle all circulation and delivery.

It's astonishing to me that Gannett would have a rival paper print one of its papers, but clearly the business model of having it printed 2.5 hours away from Iowa City was not viable, particularly in the winter, and made it virtually impossible to include late sports scores and stories -- giving people even more reason to get their news online.

Yep - you're right. I got it wrong. Sorry.