Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Grey

Default Mike Grey

Personally, I am a big fan of Cornell, and Mike Grey was/is one of my favorites. But he had a fairly dissapointing year this time around, and you could even make the case that his entire career has been a bit of a letdown (The guy was such a stud in HS, and has all the tools for success) What do you guys think? Is he capable of an NCAA title? Where will he place this year (if he places at all)? What will he need to do better or change to succeed?
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

Default Re: Mike Grey

Spend a lot of time in the weight room. He's always had the tech skills, just lacked the power to be competitive at the top of DI.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Changing weights mid season often has less-than-desirable results, Damion Hahn notwithstanding. I think Grey has to truly commit to being a 133 pounder or 141 pounder and stick with it. The ability is there, he just needs to stay consistent with his weight...

World Champ

Grey is a spunky guy and a sold wrestler, and if he built up a bit to a solid 141 or 149, he'd be consistently dangerous.

I think that those are all good points. Grey is definitely a skinnier, lankier wrestler, and never has been big for his weight class. His legs are skinny, and I think he should put a fair amount of weight on them. He would benefit from that a good deal.
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

When he wrestled Baker in the conference finals he couldn't fight off a shot by Baker . He needs to be at 141 but just doesn't have the body for it -and he cuts too much to make 133 .
    RYou is right -he needs to hit the weight room hard .

Quote Originally Posted by The Vanilla Gorilla View Post
    But he had a fairly dissapointing year this time around, and you could even make the case that his entire career has been a bit of a letdown
    No argument that his soph year was below expectations. Definitely expected him to be on the podium again and to be a whole lot more consistent.

But to say his entire career has been a letdown seems pretty harsh. He had a very good freshman year. 42 wins, 24 bonus pt wins, AA (6th) and Rev Freshman of the Year (although I thought it should have gone to Lewnes). Not sure how that's disappointing.

Last year got off on the wrong foot starting at 41 then shifting down to 33. From what's been said about summer workouts, I expect him to be back in AA form next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
    No argument that his soph year was below expectations. Definitely expected him to be on the podium again and to be a whole lot more consistent.

But to say his entire career has been a letdown seems pretty harsh. He had a very good freshman year. 42 wins, 24 bonus pt wins, AA (6th) and Rev Freshman of the Year (although I thought it should have gone to Lewnes). Not sure how that's disappointing.

Last year got off on the wrong foot starting at 41 then shifting down to 33. From what's been said about summer workouts, I expect him to be back in AA form next year.
    I didn't mean to say that his career so far has been a total let down, I am just saying that it could be a dissapointing career if he doesn't progress the way he should/could have his Junior and Senior year, and just has another Sophomore year in terms of success. The guy should be AT LEAST a one time national champ, and that's low-balling it. I mean, 4 time Jersey state champ? He should/could have had a career similar to, if not as good as Troy (Who has placed 2,3,1 at ncaas), in my opinion. He is very slick and has better technique than almost anyone at the college level right now, and has good cardio (most of the time, although the cut to 133 seemed to take it out of him a good deal in some matches). I agree that he needs to work on being a very solid 141. However, him bumping a class would be tough, because, Humphreys is supposedly going to 141 this year, and you have Metcalf at 149 (Caldwell is supposedly redshirting). Reece was a HUGE 133, a good deal bigger than Mike. He is going to be very tough this year. Mike has to take on some studs (141 probably will be really tough this year) if he wants to place well at NCAA's.

I think his chances of AAing are only 50% at this point with 33 and 41 looking like deep weight classes. He looked good going into the finals his freshman year, but the sophomore year had more downs than up.

In HS, he was kind of old for his grade and light, so I think that had something to do with his success. I think its very hard to predict how he'll do this year.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White