Thread: Good news from Florida

Default Good news from Florida

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...503892_pf.html
    Florida Loads Up on Locals
    Gators' Inaugural Roster Full of Area Players

By Dave Yanovitz
    Special to the Washington Post
    Friday, June 26, 2009

On one sport's home page at the University of Florida's athletic Web site, there is a countdown clock, ticking off the hours, minutes and seconds to a highly anticipated season opener. The defending national champion football team? No. The men's basketball team, winners of two of the past four NCAA tournaments? Nope.

In 238 days, women's lacrosse, whose genesis in this country dates 83 years ago to the Bryn Mawr School in Baltimore, will make its varsity debut in a state where running backs and baseball players have long dominated the collegiate sporting landscape.

The Gators will open at home against Jacksonville -- and a host of Washington and Baltimore area players are poised to form the nucleus of the Gators' inaugural team. Florida will jump directly to Division I and play in the American Lacrosse Conference, a league that includes five-time defending national champion Northwestern and Johns Hopkins; until now, the Gators only had a club lacrosse team.

Of the 12 girls' lacrosse players named first-team All-Met by The Post this spring (out of about 2,000 in the Washington area who competed on the varsity level), four have chosen to play in Gainesville.......................

The NCAA began crowning a women's lacrosse champion in 1982, but not a single college or university in the state of Florida offered Division I lacrosse until now. Florida and Jacksonville University will begin play in 2010.

Lynda Tealer, senior associate athletic director for women's sports at Florida, said the university has had a goal for a number of years of "the continuing expansion of athletic opportunities for women," as outlined in Title IX.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Default Re: Good news from Florida

Is this to show that there is hope for wrestling? Are they thinking about adding wrestling at Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Is this to show that there is hope for wrestling? Are they thinking about adding wrestling at Florida?
    No, it's more to show the irony of the whole situation. Probably as much chance of seeing wrestling in Gainesville as seeing a snowman building contest.....

South Carolina is adding womens lacrosse too. This is Fresno State's second year.....you get the picture. And please note, my daughter is/was a lacrosse player.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Terp- obviously you know that Lacrosse is growing all over the country. Obviosly I am game for any sports being added. I wish it was wrestling, but sport growth in general is a good thing.
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by fanforlife View Post
    Terp- obviously you know that Lacrosse is growing all over the country. Obviosly I am game for any sports being added. I wish it was wrestling, but sport growth in general is a good thing.
    Certainly adding sports is a good thing. One of the supposed prongs for title ix compliance are meeting interests and abilities. We should all be thankful that Fresno State now has women's lacrosse, and has to have open tryouts to find someone to play. Oh yeah, and Oregon now has women's lacrosse too.

Unfortunately that only seems to apply to one gender. Take a look at high school participation numbers in Florida. I'd suggest that wrestlers are a tad underserved. Of course UF is bringing in 24 female lacrosse players this year, nearly all from out of state and 17 from right here in Maryland. Not that there is any huge pot of scholarship gold in the sport but my daughter probably could have received scholarship money somewhere simply because she knows how to hold a lacrosse stick!

However, don't you find it odd that there are now as many women's Div I lacrosse teams as there are Div I wrestling teams? The numbers of high school participants aren't even close.

Also, there are more male high school lacrosse players than female, but half the number of Division I teams. Men's lacrosse growth at the college level has been nearly stagnant over the past 20 years.

Men's lacrosse has been stagnant, the powerful programs are still the powerful programs today (Hopkins, Syracuse, Villa Nove, ect). Women's lacrosse is growing but more rapidly on the high school level across the country, as in most sports that have a better youth base. It has predominantly been an East Coast sport but is spreading.

I have become more of a lacrosse fan over the past year since two of my roommates are lacrosse coaches. The women definitely have a better shot at scholarship then the men, because they have more opportunity.

I have become more of a lacrosse fan over the past year since two of my roommates are lacrosse coaches. The women definitely have a better shot at scholarship then the men, because they have more opportunity.
    I became deeply indoctrinated into women's lacrosse starting about 10 years. ago. I don't want to come off as a critic of the sport because the women's lacrosse team is perhaps my second favorite team at Maryland. My point is to compare the numbers of teams as opposed to the numbers of participants. Any objective view other than gender quotas could not justify adding lacrosse at Florida (men's or women's) over wrestling.

Not unlike wrestling you have to understand the nuances of women's lacorsse to appreciate it. I make sure to attend a couple of games on campus each year and I made the long trip to Towson for the NCAA semifinals last month.

By the way, USA beat Australia on Saturday to win the women's World Cup held in Prague.

The top programs on the men's side are the ACC schools, Syracuse, Princeton, Cornell, and Hopkins. Denver dropped the sport last year. There are more male players at the high school level than on the women's side, and both genders are seeing a lot ogrowth at the youth levels.
    Last edited by WrestlingTerp; 06-29-2009 at 06:11 PM.

We watched the USA play last night, good game. Although I do not understand the rules especially internationally.

We watched the USA play last night, good game. Although I do not understand the rules especially internationally.
    I was trying to convince the family we should go to this year's World Cup, mainly as an excuse to return to Prague!

Besides, there IS a slight Terps presence at the event.....

McFadden and Walker Lead U.S. to 2009 FIL Women's World Cup Title
    http://www.umterps.com/sports/w-lacr...062809aab.html
    Four former Terps headline All-World Team

June 28, 2009

PRAGUE, Czech Republic - With the help of current Terrapin Caitlyn McFadden and former standout Acacia Walker, the U.S. defeated Australia, 8-7, to capture the 2009 FIL Women's World Cup championship Saturday in Prague, Czech Republic.

McFadden led the U.S. with two assists. For Australia, former Terp Jen Adams had a goal and two assists while Courtney (Hobbs) Inge added a score.

Adams joined Sarah Forbes (Australia), Laura Warren (Wales), and Dana Dobbie (Canada) on the All-World Team. Adams had the most assists (27) and points (42) in the tournament. Dobbie and Team Canada took the bronze medal. England, led by sophomore Laura Merrifield, finished fourth.

The FIL World Cup takes place every four years. Team USA has now won six World Cup titles
    Last edited by WrestlingTerp; 06-29-2009 at 07:26 PM.