Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early breakdown of the 2009-2010 Minnesota Golden Gophers

Default Early breakdown of the 2009-2010 Minnesota Golden Gophers

This is based on a roster given by TLV

125: This weight is going to be manned by redshirt sophomore Zach Sanders. This kid is great on his feet, although he has received some scrutiny for an incident (in my opinion overblown) in a match with Anthony Robles at NCAA's. One thing was clear after last year, Zach Sanders is the real deal. 125 has cleared out a little this year as well, but I don't think he can overcome Troy Nickerson and a healthier Angel Escobedo this year.

Prediction: High AA

133: This weight is going to be held down by the indomitable Jayson Ness. Jayson had some struggles early on last season at his new weight, but got so hot at NCAA's, rumors swirled that he left scorch marks on the mat. With Reece Humphrey and Jimmy Kennedy apparently leaving the weight, and Jayson holding wins over reigning NCAA champion Franklin Gomez, I'd say Jayson is a serious threat to win the 133 lb. National Title.

Prediction: High AA to NCAA Champ

141: Mike Thorn will likely be at this weight for the Gophs. Thorn showed a lot of improvement from his rough true frosh season, including multiple wins over Jeff Jaggers, who would eventually win his second NCAA title. Still, he strugled at NCAA's, and he is in a weight that is always a complete meat grinder. Because of the nature of the weight, it's hard to pin down exactly what will happen. I think Thorn is good enough to AA, but not consistent enough to get into the upper echelon AA status.

Prediction: Anywhere from 0-2 to Mid AA

149: Incoming superfrosh Mario Mason will be taking over this weight for the Gopher team. He had a successful redshirt campaign, although he did have a puzzling loss to Iowa's undersized 157 lber, Matt Ballweg. Still, it's tough to criticize results at different weights. The kid has a lot of talent, and he could easily AA. First time at the tournament is tough though, and being a 4 time All American doesn't just happen.

Prediction: 3-2 at NCAA's to Low AA

157: The prodigal son has returned as Jake Diechtler, a 2008 Greco-Roman Olympian, steps into this weight for the young Gophers. Having no recent folkstyle results, especially against college-level opposition, it's hard to know what to expect out of Diechtler, as the International styles differ so greatly from American Folkstyle. Two things are important to remember: (1) Jake Diechtler has shown a tremendous amount of talent and aptitude for wrestling, even if it was in Greco, and (2) 157 is loaded...absolutely loaded. I don't see him beating Jordan Burroughs, but other then that?

Prediction: 2-2 at NCAA's to High AA....yeah, it's that crazy and he's that much of a Wild Card.

165: Dustin Schlatter: The Once and Future King? It could be. The Mongoose returns to terrorize opponents two weights bigger then we last saw him. The massively talented redshirt senior is a bit of a wild card when you consider he moved up two weights, but still...I've gone on record as predicting a NCAA championship for Dustin, and I would be a hypocrite if I didn't pick him here. His defense is solid, and his leg attacks are quicker then anyone else at this weight.

Prediction: High AA to NCAA Champ

174: I believe it will be Cody Yohn at this weight class for the Gophers. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect from him. I can't find his redshirt record. As such, I don't know if I can predict any big success for him.

Prediction: Misses NCAA's

184: Sonny Yohn, brother of Cody, is likely to be here. To be honest, this kid impressed me on more then one occasion last year. He was tough, and I think he makes a leap this year. It's a gut instinct.

Prediction: Low AA

197: Another superfrosh for the Gophs as Ryland Geiger holds down the 197 lb. class for the Gophers. This kid has been a monster, and he seems to win everything he enters. He had a great redshirt campaign. His main problem is tha this weight class is loaded. But honestly, he's been so good, I have a hard time, barring injury, seeing him not AA.

Prediction: Low to Mid AA

HWT: The most unclear weight for Minnesota in my mind. Ben Berhow capably competed at this weight, but Minnesota also has ANOTHER uberfrosh coming off redshirt in Atticus Disney. Disney had a solid redshirt campaign, but I have a feeling Berhow keeps this weight as his. Either way, whoever wrestles for them, anything can happen as HWT is thin all around. I say Berhow wrestles, and he makes AA. If it's Disney, I think he misses.

Prediction: Berhow-Low AA; Disney: 2-2 at NCAA's
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

World Champ

Default Re: Early breakdown of the 2009-2010 Minnesota Golden Gophers

Sounds like an strong NCAA team title contender to me.
    Let's just call them the favorite for right now, and then see how things shake out by mid-season.

I am an uber fan and wouldn't call them the favorite but they do get the enviable position of being the "young" team and hopefully continue to get better as the season goes on. I was going to give my own break down of the Gopher squad but think that Zapp did such a good job that I will just pass.

197 loses one AA , I believe ,That being Halsey . Both finalists return as well as Chriswell,Taylor,cornell's kid -be it Arnone or simaz,Askren-plus the big 10 loses the big 2 but has Brown and Brandvold and the Illini kid as well as Powless -Geiger has his work cut out for him -also ,at 125 you failed to mention our favorite, B.Precin .

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    Let's just call them the favorite for right now, and then see how things shake out by mid-season.
    I <3 your passive aggressiveness...especially given the fact that Zapp identifies himself as an Iowa fan.

Its going to be really fun next year to see how this team progresses. Great mix of young guys coming in (especially Mason and Geiger who have had great springs) and then the older leaders in Ness and Schlatter.

74 no way in hell Cody takes that spot from Glasser

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I <3 your passive aggressiveness...especially given the fact that Zapp identifies himself as an Iowa fan.

Its going to be really fun next year to see how this team progresses. Great mix of young guys coming in (especially Mason and Geiger who have had great springs) and then the older leaders in Ness and Schlatter.
    Zapp did a good job of assessing the Gophers IMHO. I was not (just) being passive aggressive. I've been talkin' up next year's Gophers for months now. Next year's team is 4 real, and being an early season leader means that everyone is out to upset you. Furthermore, this place is a lot more fun when the Gopher fans start getting excited again.

Trusty my friend, I must disagree with you on this one. Glasser is fragile. A wrestler can't be fragile in the big 10. He has enormous talent, but does't seem to rise to the occasion. Brothers push each other. In spite of big Yohn's losing record, I was really impressed by him. I think that he'll be an aA and push his brother to be the starter......
    On the other hand, I may be full of Kaka..........
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

I've been calling the Gophers as 2010 Champs for Months, and I'm standing by that prediction.

Next years champs

125: I can't pick between Esco and Nickerson...
    133: Jayson Ness
    141: Humphrey
    149: Metcalf
    157: Burroughs
    165: Marable
    174: Dunno off the top of my head
    184: Pucillo
    197: That Varner kid
    HVY: Crapshoot

Those are certified 100% accurate put your life savings on them
    Gold is an idiot.