Thread: Hawkeye wrestlers land former Iowa champ

Default Hawkeye wrestlers land former Iowa champ

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hawkeye wrestlers land former Iowa champ

By Andy Hamilton
    Iowa City Press-Citizen

Montell Marion grew up in Des Moines, but it took a 1,700-mile roundtrip for him to get to the Iowa wrestling room.

Marion, a two-time state champion and four-time finalist at West Des Moines Valley and Des Moines Roosevelt, said Thursday that he will join the Hawkeyes this fall, completing his winding road to Iowa.

Marion, a 2006 Roosevelt graduate, signed a letter of intent to attend Northern Iowa as a high school senior, but opted instead to spend the past year at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs where he started thinking about a career with the Hawkeyes.

?It had nothing to do with (UNI coach) Brad Penrith, first of all, I want to say that,? Marion said of his decision to train in Colorado Springs. ?He?s a good guy; he?s real cool. The campus is good, the wrestling team is good. But to be honest, I asked myself if I wanted to be a mediocre wrestler or if I wanted to put my name on the map and if I wanted to turn some heads and if I want to walk around campus having people know me as a part of the wrestling team. I decided I had to go do some more training to be able to catch up.

?The fact is, if I went to school right out of high school I would?ve been young. I started school early. I had the opportunity to catch up and really level the playing field with my future opponents.?

Marion trained in Colorado Springs under the watch of former Hawkeye Terry Brands, the U.S. freestyle resident coach and twin brother of Iowa coach Tom Brands.

?If you ask (Terry), he?d pretty much say we get along and he likes me a lot; he tells me that all the time and I like the way he coaches,? Marion said. ?I started thinking that he could put in a good word for me at Iowa with his brother, and then I just started leaning toward Iowa.?

The projected 133-pounder in college has all four years of eligibility plus a redshirt season at his disposal.

Marion compiled a 151-6 career record, losing in the state finals as a freshman and sophomore before capturing his first state title in 2005 at Valley. He enrolled at Roosevelt in 2006 and won the 130-pound title, finishing 36-0.

Looking back now, Marion said he wishes he could?ve taken the Olympic Training Center experiences into high school.

?I think I easily could?ve had four state titles instead of two,? he said, ?and I could?ve won (freestyle Junior Nationals in) Fargo instead of being a three-time All-American.?

Marion said he was on the same training regimen as the U.S. Olympic hopefuls in Colorado Springs. He said his training there was geared toward ?areas of concentration? where wrestlers would focus on turning positions of weakness into strength.

?A lot of stuff was work on fundamentals that I wish I had in high school, which would?ve put me a lot further,? he said.

?My hand-fighting got a lot better. When I took a shot before, I wasn?t really running through the shot and they got me doing that. That?s a freestyle setting, so of course I learned a lot of freestyle, and I know going to Iowa I?m going to have to concentrate on the down position because that?s a big part of wrestling in college. You?ve got to be able to escape and you?ve got to be able to ride in critical situations.?

Default Re: Hawkeye wrestlers land former Iowa champ

wow, this guy certainly is humble...he sounds like a bit of a head case..."i think i EASILY could have had four titles instead of two" (i am sure there are alot of two timers that say that)...that being said he certainly has a good pedigree...again, iowa is going to have a room full of studs next year but they can't all start and some of these egos are not going to sit well with riding the pine, we will see how it all plays out...i see some transfers in iowa's future but i don't think it will weaken their team, it will just redistribute some of this talent to other schools...thats my 2 cents.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Marion has had a history of doing some immature and just plain stupid things. It would be great if that is all behind him now, but I don't think I'd want him at ISU at this point.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    wow, this guy certainly is humble...he sounds like a bit of a head case..."i think i EASILY could have had four titles instead of two" (i am sure there are alot of two timers that say that)...that being said he certainly has a good pedigree...again, iowa is going to have a room full of studs next year but they can't all start and some of these egos are not going to sit well with riding the pine, we will see how it all plays out...i see some transfers in iowa's future but i don't think it will weaken their team, it will just redistribute some of this talent to other schools...thats my 2 cents.
    Perfect fit!
    "I like my antiques new " - Steve Martin

True, what was I thinking.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

If I remember correctly, Marion changed high schools because his father (who works for the Des Moines Register) alleged racist treatment of his son at WDM Valley.

It sounds like he has a history of not staying in one place very long. Let's hope he has indeed matured and settled down.

Mark

Here's Dan McCool's version of things for the Des Moines Register... along with some choice reader comments (posted at the end of the story)...

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...40357/-1/ENT06

Former UNI recruit Marion to Hawkeyes By DAN McCOOL
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER

July 14, 2007
    6 Comments

Montell Marion's latest decision about his athletic career means he will become a member of the Iowa wrestling team.

Marion, 19, said he will join the Hawkeyes, beginning with the 2007-08 season. He has four seasons of eligibility, and could take a redshirt season.

He signed a 60 percent scholarship from Northern Iowa coach Brad Penrith after his high school career, which included time at two schools, ended in 2006.

However, Marion did not compete for the Panthers last season, opting to work out at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

"He wasn't happy with his financial package," Penrith said Friday. "He wanted more money and we weren't going to give it, so he went to the Olympic Training Center to get bigger and stronger and to grow a little bit."

Marion declined further comment.

"I won't do any more interviews with The Des Moines Register (because of) that last article you did about me," said Marion, referring to a December 2006 story on his arrest for disorderly conduct on Christmas Eve outside a Des Moines after-hours club.

Iowa coach Tom Brands on Friday would only say the Hawkeyes are "recruiting him."

One of the coaches at the training center is resident freestyle coach Terry Brands, a two-time NCAA champion at Iowa and the twin brother of Iowa's coach.

Penrith said Northern Iowa released Marion from his scholarship in December.

"We talked to him twice in the spring and we talked to some (friends of Marion) in Des Moines, and I told them my (new) scholarship offer wouldn't be the same," Penrith said. "We wish him good luck."

Marion told The Iowa City Press-Citizen that preparing for the college wrestling style clinched his decision to go to Colorado.

"I asked myself if I wanted to be a mediocre wrestler, or if I wanted to put my name on the map, and if I wanted to turn some heads, and if I want to walk around campus having people know me as part of the wrestling team," he said. "I decided I had to go do some more training to be able to catch up."

Marion won a 119-pound Class 3-A state championship at West Des Moines Valley in 2005 and a 130-pound title at Des Moines Roosevelt in 2006. He posted a 151-6 career record and was a four-time state finalist.

He transferred to Roosevelt after three years at Valley because of what his father, Del Marion, said were race-related issues. Del Marion is a former Des Moines Register employee.

Last February, Montell Marion was given one year of probation and ordered to do 40 hours of community service as a result of the Christmas Eve arrest.

It was Marion's second arrest for assault. He was given six months' probation after pleading guilty in 2005 to assault causing injury.

CONVERSATION STANDARDS
    The Register's standards: What we'll allow, what we won't

From the editor: Inviting robust conversation, but spelling out a few rules

Add Comment | View All Comments

classy Posted by: farkitall
    on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:43 pm
    Sounds like this young man will fit in well with hawkeye athletics.

Reader Comment Posted by: SunDog
    on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:59 pm
    "Financial package" means financial *aid* package... If scholarships aren't available, or maybe UNI just didn't want to give him one, then he qualifies for all the regular financial aid goodies like everyone else which in this case, means paying some $ out of pocket.

I guess Marion thinks he'll be a big man on campus just because he's a wrestler... Maybe he's matured after training at the Olympic center for a year and has learned how to behave and not rage while he's out and about... M

aybe not, of course, but in any case it'll be interesting to see how he deals with all the pressures of devoting numerous hours to wrestling *plus* academics, plus everything else college life brings.

Reader Comment Posted by: Bryan
    on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am
    Financial package? This kid shouldn't have a "financial package"! He's a soon-to-be college wrestler. NCAA rules prohibit paying athletes for anything over and above housing, tuition, books, and a nominal voucher for food.

This kid is trouble all the way around. When he was last arrested, the police gave him multiple chances to leave the scene without being arrested, but he decided to be a hothead instead. Its no surprise that Iowa recruited him. Hey Montell, wait until you get to Iowa City to start shooting your mouth off and assaulting others, they go pretty easy on the athlete troublemakers over there.

Also, Del Marion is now a "former" Register employee? Hrmm....interesting.

Reader Comment Posted by: aauummm
    on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:42 am
    This just shows you what kind of a program that Brands is running. He'll stoop to any depth to try to win again. He couldn't handle the job so they tried to bring back Gable to help him out. Together the two of them are scared to death that the program is going down the tubes, which it is. Sooner or later this type of attitude will catch up to them. Iowa now has the reputation of running a dirty, rogue wrestling program.

Reader Comment Posted by: noturattorney
    on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:22 am
    yeah, you're right. brands/gable are so desperate to try and regain what they had years ago, they'll lower their standards to try and get back. they'll never get there again, there are too many other options out there today, Iowa's not the only show in town anymore.

Quality Iowa Recruit Posted by: An Iowan
    on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:59 am
    Wow, talk about lowering your standards. This young man has left two schools in the lurch, has two arrests for assault, one conviction, backed out of a scholarship agreement and won't talk to the Register because of previous reports. Does the University of Iowa really want to have them represent him? I hope the best for him but I have real questions about why Brands would recruit him.