Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanford Wrestling Rounds Out 2009-10 Freshman Class

Default Stanford Wrestling Rounds Out 2009-10 Freshman Class

Stanford Wrestling Rounds Out 2009-10 Freshman Class

The seven Cardinal newcomers have combined for 12 state titles during their prep careers.

With the addition of two spring signees, the Stanford wrestling class of 2013 has been completed announced head coach Jason Borrelli. The seven-man class has combined for twelve state championships, five runner-up finishes, three third-place finishes and numerous high school All-America and national title honors. Additionally, three of the seven were deemed top-100 overall recruits.

In addition to the five wrestlers signed by Borrelli in the fall, Ryan Mango (St. Louis, MO/Whitfield School) and Bret Baumbach (Council Bluffs, IA/Lewis Central) will join the Stanford squad next year.

Mango is the top-ranked recruit in the nation at 119 pounds and was deemed the nation?s ninth-best recruit at all weights. A four-time Missouri state placer and three-time state champion, Mango posted a 169-14 record in high school. He went undefeated with 95-0 mark over his last two years and was recently named the Missouri Officials Association All-Class State Wrestler of the Year and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Wrestler of the Year. Mango won the 2009 FILA Junior Greco-Roman National Championship and earned outstanding wrestler honors as well. He is the brother of 2008 U.S. Olympian Spenser Mango.

Baumbach, an expected 141-pounder, is a four-time Iowa state placer and three-time state finalist. He took second place as a freshman, third as a sophomore, second as a junior and claimed his first high school national title earlier this year. He is the sixth-winningest wrestler in Iowa history with a 189-26 high school record, including 104 pins. Baumbach is ranked ninth nationally at 135 pounds and is one of the top-100 recruits in all weight classes. He is also a four-time Fargo Nationals All-American, a two-time conference champion and four-time district champion.

Mango and Baumbach join Stanford?s five signees who were announced in the fall ? Kyle Meyer (Monett, MO/Monett), Jordan Gray (Essex Junction, VT/Essex), Sam Umlauf (Wausau, WI/Wausau West), Richard Kessler (Whitewater, WI/Elkhorn Area) and Anthony Degani (Crystal Lake, IL/Crystal Lake Central).

Meyer, who will likely wrestle at 157/165 pounds for the Cardinal, recently won his fourth consecutive Missouri state title and completed his prep career with a 173-2 record. A three-time NHSCA High School All-American, he is currently ranked No. 11 nationally at 152 pounds.

Gray is a four-time Vermont state finalist and three-time state champion who will likely step in at 133 or 141 pounds next year.

Umlauf and Kessler are both state placers from Wisconsin. Umlauf finished third at 125 pounds in 2008 and claimed his first career state title as a senior earlier this year. A 2009 All-American, he set the Wisconsin all-time season win record as a junior (54) and led his team to a state title and two runner-up finishes. Kessler, a likely 197-pounder, was a two-time state finalist with a 128-30 career record in high school. In his prep career, he won two conference championships, two regional championships and the 2009 sectional title.

Degani, a likely 184-pounder, was an Illinois state qualifier at 189 pounds as a senior in 2009, claimed regional and conference championships in his final prep season and led his team to a third-place state finish.

?I am very excited to get all of these wrestlers in our room this fall,? said Borrelli. ?This class brings a tremendous amount of potential and a long list of high school success. Along with the return of all but one member of last year?s squad, this class should have everyone very excited for the future of Stanford wrestling.?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Default Re: Stanford Wrestling Rounds Out 2009-10 Freshman Class

Question is........why haven't they signed any heavyweights? They forfeited at 285 lbs for much of last season because they had nobody (healthy) at that weight class. Seems to me that they should have signed AT LEAST one heavyweight (preferably a JC kid).

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Question is........why haven't they signed any heavyweights? They forfeited at 285 lbs for much of last season because they had nobody (healthy) at that weight class. Seems to me that they should have signed AT LEAST one heavyweight (preferably a JC kid).
    I got to imagine that is pretty unusual to get a JC kid accepted at Stanford.

That's quite a coup to pick up Mango.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

I had no idea Baumbach was going to Stanford, hope he does well.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Sorry Bronco, it is not as easy to get students into Stanford as it is at Boise. I picked the word student for a reason. Maybe one of the bigger recruits will end up at heavy, I hope so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    How many heavyweight wrestlers have the grades to get into Stanford? I imagine its a bit of a different situation then you'd have at a b10 school or Boise State.
    Gold is an idiot.

Baumbach could be an excellent addition for them. In the last 2 years he's been ranked behind some of the best wrestlers in Iowa in recent years - Moore, McDonough, etc. Look for him to AA at Fargo and then be a solid contributor at Stanford.

Duhhhh.....obviously it's more difficult to get into Stanford than it is to get into Boise State (or U.S.C. for that matter).

But you can not tell me that there are ZERO heavyweights in the entire nation who can't qualify for Stanford.

Or are you "cliche" users all trying to say that all big guys are unintelligent. If so then you are dead wrong on that.

One of the smartest kids I have ever encountered wrestled at heavyweight for Boise State and he had the grades to get into Stanford. In fact his younger brother now wrestles for Stanford. I'm speaking of Andy Patrick of course. Andy had his own private pilot's license at the age of 16. He also went to the Air Force Academy Prep school out of High School. Andy's little brother is Spencer Patrick.....and he will be a RS Freshman next season at Stanford.

Secondly........they way that I see it.........if you have an area of need.......as Stanford truly DOES have at 285 lbs.......then you FILL THAT NEED. You don't go around spouting out "cliches" or offering excuses. You go and GET IT DONE and fill the area of need. But it appears they didn't even attempt to do that.

Thirdly.......it's not impossible for a Junior College athlete to get into Stanford. It HAS been known to happen. Particularly in the sport of football.