November 29, 2010 By Kenny Varner, The Sentinel

LEWISTOWN ? Good thing happen to good people.

And with the way that the Lewistown High School media room was packed with well- wishers one can consider Lewistown wrestler Jake Schultz as one of those.

It was standing room only Tuesday night as senior wrestler Jake Schultz added to his long and distinguished wrestling resume, signing with Kent State University.

*********** Schultz had a breakout season, last year making it all the way to the PIAA State Championships for the first time in his varsity career.

*********** It would be a night of emotion as Schultz presented a heartfelt speech thanking all who had helped him along the road of his wrestling careers. Tears were shed from Schultz, his family and members of the audience.

*********** First to speak in the press conference was Lewistown head wrestling coach Kirby Martin.

*********** ?This is a very proud moment for* me ..I have been here long enough to experience many of these and it never gets old. Its always exciting to coach kids that wrestle all year round, who show our junior high and elementary kids what the process is to become a Division 1 wrestler. He?s (Jake) is going into a very good program. The kids there are very well prepared.?

*********** He was also impressed with the route the school is going as well.

*********** ?They (Kent State) are putting themselves on the map. The have two returning all Americans,? Martin added. ?They keep adding outstanding wrestlers to their program every year. Jake is going to fit in quite well.?

*********** Martin went onto to talk about his senior and what he has meant to the whole Panther wrestling program.

*********** ?Jake Schultz in his entire wrestling career has stood out,? Martin said. ? He eats, he breathes and he lives wrestling?It?s been very exciting to coach him.?

*********** Going into his senior year, Schultz opens his 2010-11 campaign ranked 16th on the All-Time Lewistown wrestling mark in wins with 72. His career mark is 72-31 with a whole year to work his way up the all-time wins ladder.

*********** When Schultz took the microphone, the senior spoke from the heart acknowledging former coaches, teammates, relatives and most of all his parents for being there and helping him reach the goal of signing with the Golden Flashes, a team Schultz had his eyes on from the moment he walked onto the mat as a freshman.?

*********** ?There are a lot of emotions flowing right now,? Schultz said. ?I am excited. I wanted to go to Kent State through all my four years of high school and its like a dream come true.?

*********** The time for the senior has flown by a he looked back at his high school career.

*********** ?I can remember my first freshman practice like it was yesterday,? Schultz said. ?It went by like a flash.?

*********** To summarize what kind of all around student and athlete Schultz is, one of the crowd members asked him how he was doing in school. With a modest smile Schultz replied.

*********** ?I made distinguished honor roll.?

*********** As the press conference wound down, it was obvious to mostly all who attended that nice guys don?t always finish last.

Continue reading "The Sentinel- Schultz to live dream as a Flash"