For No. 24 Broken Arrow Tigers Corral Sand Springs Title and many other topics visit

(No. 24) Broken Arrow High School wrestling coach Shawn Jones cracked a slight smile Saturday evening.

“It’s always nice when you win,” Jones said.

A few minutes later, he received the championship plaque after the Tigers had corralled the Bobby Lyons Invitational.

It wasn’t a surprise the Tigers – the two-time Class 6A state champions – won the 20-team tournament at Ed Dubie Fieldhouse.

Eye-opening was how close Sapulpa came to knocking off the Tigers.

Sapulpa, coached by Shawn’s brother Biff Jones, finished second just 7.5 points behind in what evolved into a two-team race.

BAHS, which crowned four champions and five others finish second or third, had 208.5 points. On the strength of two champions and eight others in the top six, Sapulpa had 197 points.

Edmond North was third with 178 with Stillwater fourth at 163.5 and Muskogee fifth with 155.5.

The Tigers nursed a 184.5-177 advantage over Sapulpa going into the placement matches.

BAHS protected that advantage by winning 7-of-9 bouts and got gold medals from Markus Simmons (106 pounds), Caleb Clark (120), Tanner Bailey (145) and Paden Bailey (152).

Simmons, a ninth grader, was voted by tournament coaches as the Outstanding Lower Weight.

Defending state champion Chase Ferman injury defaulted in the third period in the 138-pound final against Davey Dolan of Berryhill.

Ferman apparently injured his left knee late in the second period and limped off the mat. Later, Ferman appeared in a team picture on crutches. Jones said the extent of the injury was unknown.

Brock Warren of BAHS was runner-up at 170 while Zack Edwards (113), Clay Archer (132) and Seth Calvert (195) won their third place bouts.

“That’s a pretty good night,” Shawn Jones said. “We saw some of the best teams this weekend.”

Simmons major decisioned Stillwater’s Kaid Brock, 10-0, setting the tone with takedown in the opening 11 seconds.

“That’s how I want to wrestle,” Simmons said. “I beat him last year and I determined I wasn’t going to lose this match.”

Clark needed a takedown with two seconds left in the first overtime period for a 3-1 decision over Stillwater’s King Williams, who had height and reach advantages on the Tiger.

For Article by Doug Quinn,