For David Farr’s (H.M. @ 220) Toughest Competition and many other topics visit HSWrestling.net

David Farr’s (H.M. @ 220) toughest matches are in the practice room.

Farr has competed in three national-caliber wrestling tournaments, but nothing beats butting heads with Brooks Black (No. 1 @ HWT) and Frank Mattiace (No. 10 @ 195).

Farr, a Cornwall-on-Hudson resident, is the starting 220-pounder on the No. 1 high school team in the country — Blair Academy in Blairstown, N.J.

“After every practice, we definitely look forward to the tournaments,” Farr said. “They are much easier than practice.”

Farr split time in Blair’s lineup last season after transferring from football power Don Bosco (N.J.) Prep.

Now Farr, a senior, might be the most improved wrestler on Blair’s roster. Farr placed third at the Powerade Invitational in Canonsburg, Pa. He took sixth at the Ironman in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, and Beast of the East in Newark, Del.

Farr stayed with a teammate, who lived about 20 from the academy’s campus, last summer and worked out every day to prepare for this season.

Blair wrestles a schedule on par with some Division I colleges. Farr’s next match is at the National Festival against Ty Walz of St. Edward (Ohio). Farr and Walz have a history. Walz defeated Farr for fifth place at the Ironman in December and in an opening match in the Junior & Cadet Nationals last summer in Fargo, N.D.

“That’s going to be a big match for me,” Farr said.

Farr dropped football for wrestling when he enrolled at Blair. He figured wrestling was his best chance to compete in college. Farr, who is 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, has no regrets. He’ll return home this fall and attend West Point Prep. Farr plans to wrestle for Army in the 2013-14 season.

“I’d been playing football since I was little,” said Farr, who was recruited by Virginia and Navy. “But I wanted to be a good wrestler and I knew coming here would make me better.”

For Article by Sal Interdonato, Times-Herald Record