For Zach Corcoran (H.M. @ 135) Named Tri-County Wrestler of the Year and many other topics visit HSWrestling.net

Zach Corcoran (H.M. @ 135) was just trying to survive.* It was his freshman season and he was in the state semifinals, wrestling against defending state champion B.J. Suitor.

He trailed 5-1 but Suitor was called for an illegal move that wasn?t intentional. Corcoran was unable to continue, and, due to the rules, he was going to be declared the victor, earning him a spot in the state championship match in only his freshman season.* But Corcoran wouldn?t have any of it.

?I was already down when he hit me with the illegal move, and it hurt my shoulder and I couldn?t wrestle,? Corcoran said. ?I talked to my dad and said I didn?t want to win like that. I see people do it all the time, but that?s not classy. Me, my dad, coach (Amos) Rinks talked about it and said give it to him. It was an easy decision.?

Maybe for Corcoran.

But living on his principles paid off. Three years later, Corcoran finally got his chance to have his arm lifted as an individual state champion, as he earned a 16-4 major decision victory against Fremont?s John Wiggers at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

That match, along with his 60-1 overall record and being captain of a team that made school history (by making it to the team state championship meet for the first time ever), made it easy for us to name Corcoran as our Tri-County Wrestler of the Year.

While success has always followed Corcoran during his prep wrestling career, it hasn?t always come without adversity. It seemed every year Corcoran was one of the contenders to win a state title, but he almost always suffered some sort of injury, making that title run more difficult.

For Complete Article by David Troppens, Tri-County Times