For Joey Kielbasa (No. 10 @ 152) Named IWCOA Class 2A Wrestler of the Year and many other topics visit HSWrestling.net

Crystal Lake Central wrestler Joey Kielbasa (No. 10 @ 152) stood with four other nominees, including teammates Gage Harrah (No. 4 @ 189) and Austin Marsden (No. 5 @ 215), and one wish.

?I was just hoping one of the Central kids would win it,? Kielbasa said.

He got his wish. Moments later, Kielbasa was named as the Class 2A Wrestler of the Year by the Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association at its banquet Sunday.

Tigers coach Justen Lehr, whose team was second in the IHSA Class 2A Dual Team State Tournament for the second consecutive season, was honored by the IWCOA as Class 2A Coach of the Year.

Kielbasa won the Class 2A 152-pound state championship, his third state title in three years, finishing with a 43-1 record.

?[Winning] was definitely a surprise,? said Kielbasa, who will compete at Central Michigan next year.

?It was good,? Kielbasa said. ?It showed that all my hard work had paid off. I was happy and excited.?

Kielbasa and 140-pounder Trevor Jauch (H.M. @ 140) were among the Silver Level award winners Sunday for winning three state titles. Kielbasa and Jauch, who will wrestle at Missouri, shared Northwest Herald Wrestler of the Year honors.

Kielbasa recently took a week off from training, but now is back hard at it, sparring at Overtime Wrestling in Naperville with college athletes to prepare for his college career.

For Complete Article by Joe Stevenson, Northwest Herald