Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 102

Thread: Rule Modifications for 2010-2011

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Rule Modifications for 2010-2011

    I like having a written set of rules that describe the whole league. I've pasted this year's rules below as a starting point. I figure it's a good time to do this because people are still interested. I know we've discussed a few modifications already, but I'd appreciate it if people would bring those up again.

    As we decide on changes, I will make add them in red. Deleted text will be in blue (unless I can figure out a strike feature).

    League Structure

    Each team will have 15 wrestlers. Each week, you may start 11 wrestlers: one at each weight class and one "flex" wrestler of your choice who will receive points regardless of which weight he wrestles.


    Competition/How to Win

    Competition is not head-to-head. Instead, every week, your team's points (see "Scoring" below for details) will be added to your cumulative total. Cumulative scoring ends after conference championship week. At this point, the top 6 teams make it to "the playoffs," which is really just the NCAA Tournament. For the playoffs, the cumulative scores are disregarded, and whichever player accrues the most points during the NCAA Tournament wins the league.

    A) Posting Your Lineup. Weeks will begin on Monday and end on Sunday. Every week, the commissioner will open a thread wherein all lineups must be posted by midnight (EST) Sunday night. If your lineup is not posted by this deadline, your lineup from the previous week will be used. No exceptions.

    B) Making the Playoffs. The top 5 cumulative scorers from the Regular Season will qualify for the playoffs. In addition, the player who scores the most points in conference week who would not otherwise have qualified will be awarded a playoff spot.

    Scoring

    A) Regular Season Scoring
    i) Points will be awarded as follows: Pin - 6; Tech - 5; Major - 4; Decision - 3; Forfeit - 3; Medical Default - 3; Injury Default - 6.
    ii) Points will only be awarded at the weight class listed for the wrestler when you posted your lineup. The "flex" wrestler is the exception to this rule and will be awarded points no matter what weightclass he wrestles. For example, if you listed your wrestler at 133 but he bumps up to wrestle 141, you won't get any points.
    iii) Dual Meets. All dual matches will be scored.
    iv) Tournaments. In eligible tournaments, all matches will be scored. The following tournaments are eligible: Kauffman-Brand, Midlands*, Oklahoma Gold, Cliff Keen Invitational*, Southern Scuffle*, Reno Tournament of Champions*, Body Bar Invitational, Michigan State Open, NC State Open, Penn State Open, Navy Classic, Mizzou Open, Eastern Michigan Open (open division only), PSAC, Hokie Open and Binghampton. *Champions of Midlands, CKI, the Reno TofC, and the Southern Scuffle will receive 10 bonus points. Runners up at these tournaments will receive 5 bonus points.
    v) If your wrestler beats an Intermat Top 20 ranked wrestler in a non-eligible tournament, you will get the points for that win.
    vi) The NWCA All-Star Classic will be scored. Both the "Main Event" and the "Side Card" qualify.
    vii) Conference Tournaments count as part of the regular season. However, wrestlers who win the Big 10 and Big 12 tournaments will get 15 bonus points added to their scores, those finishing second in these two tournaments will get 10 bonus points. The guys who win OW at those tournaments will also get 5 bonus points. All other conferences will have bonuses of 10 points for a championship and 5 points for a second.

    B) Playoff Scoring
    i) The playoffs are really a one-event deal, with that event being the NCAA Championships. Teams making the playoffs will have their scores reset, and the whoever generates the most points at NCAAs wins. "Tournament scoring" will be used for the playoffs. I'm not exactly sure of all the details of tournament scoring, but you can probably find it in the NCAA rules online somewhere. I will post it when I get to it.
    ii) Bonuses will be awarded as follows: OW - 3; Gorrarian - 2.


    Wrestler Acquisition

    Wrestlers may be acquired in 3 different ways: The draft, free agency, and trading.

    A) The Draft
    i) Draft Order. The draft will be performed in alphabetical order a random order that will be announced before the draft.
    ii) Draft Execution. Because this league is carried out over a message board, the draft is kind of tricky. We will have the draft in early October, and it will probably take 2-3 days. Basically, when it's your turn, someone will text/call you to let you know. At that point you will have a time window to make your pick by posting it on here or by phone/text/etc. This way, if you are at work/school, you will have time to make your pick.
    I will post more on this after we decide when will be the best time to have the draft.

    B) Free Agency/Waiver
    Each owner can claim up to 10 wrestlers from free agency/waivers throughout the season (known as the free agent quota). In order to do so, the owner must drop another wrestler from his roster. Claims are placed by posting in the "Free Agency/Waivers" thread.
    i) Free Agency. Any wrestler not on a roster or waivers (see below) is a free agent. A free agent may be claimed at any time on a first-come, first-serve basis.
    ii) Waivers. Whenever an owner drops a wrestler from his roster, that wrestler will be placed on waivers for 3 days. At the end of this period, whichever owner who wants the wrestler and has the highest waiver priority will "win" the wrestler. This owner will then move to the bottom of the waiver priority list. Initially, the waiver priority order will be the reverse of the draft order (aka reverse alphabetical order). If no one claims the wrestler in the waiver period, the wrestler will fall into the free agency pool.

    C) Trading
    i) Getting a Trade Approved. After you negotiate a trade, post it for approval. For the most part, trading is allowed freely. However, any trade deemed detrimental to the spirit of competition will be rejected. The commissioner reserves the right to reject any and all trades.
    ii) Deadline. Trades will not be allowed after conference week. No trades will be allowed after January 31st, 2011.
    iii) Multi-wrestler trades. If you trade and that leaves you with only 14 wrestlers, adding another wrestler from the free agent pool will count against your free agent quota. If a trade leaves you with 16 wrestlers, you must drop a wrestler, but this transaction will not affect your quota.
    Last edited by Gold; 09-21-2010 at 06:26 PM.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    I think the trade deadline needs to be earlier. Early enough so that most players are not already out of playoff contention. This will eliminate dumping of wrestlers to teams that are still in contention.

    I would also like to see a conference winner or two make the playoffs. This caveat will also help to keep percieved out of contention players interested by giving them hope to make the playoffs by winning the conference tournament. We could let the top one or two players that do not otherwise make the playoffs into the playoffs by having the top conference week, of players not already in the playoffs. That was kind of wordy but I think you get the picture.

    I also think we need to figure out a different way to choose the draft order. I know we ended up not using alphabetical order this year, but it states in the rules that we use alphabetical order. I suggest that we use reverse nationals order for players that are returning. New players and non playoff players order are picked at random, but the returning playoff players get to chose first. This rewards players for returning to play year after year and for making the playoffs the previous year. For example:

    2010 Nationals placing
    1st Herk
    2nd VA
    3rd Gold
    4th Thaxton
    5th Kr
    6th Gage

    2010/2011 draft order
    Gage
    Kr
    Thaxton
    Gold
    VA
    Herk
    all other new and non playoff returners chosen at random.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I think the trade deadline needs to be earlier. Early enough so that most players are not already out of playoff contention. This will eliminate dumping of wrestlers to teams that are still in contention.

    I would also like to see a conference winner or two make the playoffs. This caveat will also help to keep percieved out of contention players interested by giving them hope to make the playoffs by winning the conference tournament. We could let the top one or two players that do not otherwise make the playoffs into the playoffs by having the top conference week, of players not already in the playoffs. That was kind of wordy but I think you get the picture.

    I also think we need to figure out a different way to choose the draft order. I know we ended up not using alphabetical order this year, but it states in the rules that we use alphabetical order. I suggest that we use reverse nationals order for players that are returning. New players and non playoff players order are picked at random, but the returning playoff players get to chose first. This rewards players for returning to play year after year and for making the playoffs the previous year. For example:

    2010 Nationals placing
    1st Herk
    2nd VA
    3rd Gold
    4th Thaxton
    5th Kr
    6th Gage

    2010/2011 draft order
    Gage
    Kr
    Thaxton
    Gold
    VA
    Herk
    all other new and non playoff returners chosen at random.
    A good idea...but would newcomers then have to be in the bottom 6 spots? That could be a disadvantage for them especially if they are new.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    A good idea...but would newcomers then have to be in the bottom 6 spots? That could be a disadvantage for them especially if they are new.
    In my scenario, newcomers and players that didnt make the playoffs would take those bottom six spots. We could say that previous years players that did not make the playoffs get the next spots and newcomers get relegated to the bottom spots. Hopefully alot of our current players will play again next season and we won't have too many newcomers.

    Giving the top spots to the players that made the playoffs the year before rewards them for actually playing. Some of our current players didnt even post lineups on a regular basis. I'm not a fan of a full reverse order because then they would be rewarded for not even participating, if they were to return.

    This is just an idea. Hopefully some of you have ideas too and we can take the best one or make a combination of two or more and come up with the best scenario for our league. The rules as they stand use alphabetical order and I don't think that is the best way to do it.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  5. #5
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post

    2010 Nationals placing
    1st Herk
    2nd VA
    3rd Gold
    4th Thaxton
    5th Kr
    6th Gage
    Only 5th place? Aw maaan...

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    Gold I think if you review a few of my PMs & posts you will see that I made a few suggestions over the season about rule changes. I think you MIGHT remember...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    I'm against letting playoff contenders have draft priority. We didn't do that this year, and Herkey#1 benefitted from that. Now he wants to benefit next year as well? Plus, making newcomers get last draft picks is not a great way to entice some new blood, which is desperately what we need around here.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    I'm against letting playoff contenders have draft priority. We didn't do that this year, and Herkey#1 benefitted from that. Now he wants to benefit next year as well? Plus, making newcomers get last draft picks is not a great way to entice some new blood, which is desperately what we need around here.
    I have no personal agenda in this. I just think the alphabet rule is a dumb way to pick draft order. If you have a suggestion, lets hear it. Otherwise mine is still the best idea on the floor. I didnt say we had to go with it, I just threw it out there.

    Let's hear your idea that entices new blood yet keeps the returning players happy. I'm trying to figure out a way to reward people for playing and doing well in this league. If there is no benefit to making the playoffs, why play? In my fantasy football league we make the new guys, if there are any that year, pick last. They don't seem to mind since they are new to the league.

    It is easy to throw stones and make allegations without offering up your own ideas.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  9. #9

    Default Re: Rule Modifications for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I have no personal agenda in this. I just think the alphabet rule is a dumb way to pick draft order. If you have a suggestion, lets hear it. Otherwise mine is still the best idea on the floor. I didnt say we had to go with it, I just threw it out there.

    Let's hear your idea that entices new blood yet keeps the returning players happy. I'm trying to figure out a way to reward people for playing and doing well in this league. If there is no benefit to making the playoffs, why play? In my fantasy football league we make the new guys, if there are any that year, pick last. They don't seem to mind since they are new to the league.

    It is easy to throw stones and make allegations without offering up your own ideas.
    Hey, I'm a conservative...that's what we do. I guess I'm a fan of randomly selecting the draft order. New players should have an equal chance to get the first pick.

    The free agency rule states a 10 pick up maximum, but doesn't limit drops, which I think is good. You should have to drop first if you're acquiring multiple players in a trade to make room, but that's just a minor detail.

    I liked the Conference week Champ making the playoffs.

    I don't like the 3 points for a forfeit rule. All forfeits should be 6 points. A guy like Cole Konrad would've really suffered from that rule. It just seems pretty random to take that circumstance and decide it doesn't rate to be counted the same as all other results, despite injuries, back-ups, etc.

    How's that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •