Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 73

Thread: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

  1. #19

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I heart LoSt.
    I heart you too stardust.

    As for the whole metcalf thing I personally think its a little silly he won the hodge with a loss, and not just a loss but a first period loss by fall. Isnt this the first time thats happened in the history of the award? Maybe Im just ignorant but I thought the #1 criteria was having an undefeated season.

    If guys with a loss are elligible then why not phil davis who also had one loss, was a senior, a four time AA and arguably had the most dominant tournament of anyone. I dont have his numbers in front of me right now but other then a few close matches with bond/herbst and his loss to tamilow I think he majored or pinned almost everyone he wrestled. Statistically and logically speaking I dont think metcalf is justified in getting the hodge.

    However as a fan there is definitely a special aura about the kid. I was lucky enough to be there in person when he beat schlatter as well as when he overcame a 1st period deficit to almost major jenkins at ncaas and the crowd was going crazy for him. I'm a minnesota fan and so like most other minnesota fans I was rooting for whoever was wrestling against Iowa (at least until it became obvious that the gophers were out of contention). But when metcalf won that jenkins match I gave him a standing ovation and a lot of the gopher fans I was sitting next to did likewise, thats definitely a sign of something special when you can stand up and clap for someone who wrestles for your archrival.


    He did also have an incredibly stacked weight class Im sure that factored in as well, its pretty impressive to do what he did in a weight with that much talent
    Gold is an idiot.

  2. #20

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
    He got the late takedown to win the match. So just because he was attacking doesn't mean he was scoreing. God Iowa fans are so ignorant it pains me to have a conversation with ya. You all live in the past when in fact Iowa has gettin a beatdown this decade. We get it Gable had some great teams but Minnesota and Okie state have been the teams to beat for the last 7 or 8 years. You guys get to the top of the podium this year and you act like we are suppose to be overwhelmed. It was just acouple years ago Minnesota had the only team ever to have 10 all americans in the same year. So go blow smoke up somebody elses backside about how great the hawkeyes are. I think the gophers will be ok. The gophers will be down for a year or two but with the top ranked recruiting class this year and most likely next the Gophers will be back.
    No offense but you kind of make Minnesota fans look bad man... Yeah the gophers and cowboys had some nice stretches but Iowa was the team to beat for pretty much the entire season this year and while it wasnt a MASSIVE blowout they won the title by a very definitive margin while like 10 other teams were competing for 2nd.

    Metcalf vs schlatter was exactly the clash of styles that everyone predicted it would be and in the end metcalf proved that he was the better wrestler for that tournament. If they meet again will the outcome be the same? Who knows, but Metcalf beat schlatter fair and square. Late takedown or not it was clearly a takedown and clearly well before the time ran out. Do you complain about when hahn beat trenge for his first title by hitting that lateral drop with about 5 seconds left? I doubt it.

    If matches were 2 minutes long bubba jenkins would probably win every match, but you have to be ready to go for a full 7 especially if you're wrestling a guy with a gas tank the size of brents.
    Last edited by LoSt; 05-15-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Gold is an idiot.

  3. #21
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
    He got the late takedown to win the match. So just because he was attacking doesn't mean he was scoreing. God Iowa fans are so ignorant it pains me to have a conversation with ya. You all live in the past when in fact Iowa has gettin a beatdown this decade. We get it Gable had some great teams but Minnesota and Okie state have been the teams to beat for the last 7 or 8 years. You guys get to the top of the podium this year and you act like we are suppose to be overwhelmed. It was just acouple years ago Minnesota had the only team ever to have 10 all americans in the same year. So go blow smoke up somebody elses backside about how great the hawkeyes are. I think the gophers will be ok. The gophers will be down for a year or two but with the top ranked recruiting class this year and most likely next the Gophers will be back.
    Speaking of ignorant. You post that Schlatter controlled the tempo, I correct you, and you shoot back by saying "Metcalf wasn't scoring". Thank you, I'm aware, I watched it. But it has nothing to do with tempo or control of ties. Watch the match. Metcalf was moving Schlatter around, controlling the front head lock, forcing Schlatter to back up, taking all of the offensive shots for the second and third periods, with Schlatter having a few counter attempts. So please, enlighten me on wrestling if you're going to make those ridiculous statements with no logical basis behind them.

    Then you go into a longwinded rant against the Hawkeyes which has NOTHING to do with the discussion. If you'd like to get "owned" in that debate, please create a new thread, and I can elaborate on that subject for you.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  4. #22

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by contini View Post
    Has there been any other guys who won the NCAA's as a freshman and then never won it again? Schlatter could become the first.
    If that happens his whole college career should be labeled as a failure I guess huh? That NCAA champion loser your a hawkeye fan and I see where your going with this. Now lets make a list,has there ever been a D-1 wrestler who has never won a NCAA championship? I'll bet there has. Then lets make up a long list of "true" freshman that have won a title so your point is ignorant since the list of freshman NCAA champs is very small. Typical Hawkeye fan. After all, all you have is the hawkeyes, clones and I-cubs so I see why your so proud
    Last edited by tooldude; 05-15-2008 at 08:56 PM.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Contini a Hawkeye fan? That's news to me. I think contini was just asking the question "has it ever happened before?".

    Just because someone doesn't share your opinion that doesn't make them ignorant.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




  6. #24

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Indeed, I was just asking whether it had happened. I am a hawkeye fan though: I like Iowa because they bring a lot of excitement to the sport. I'm a big fan of Metcalf. I was a fan of Schlatter when he won it as a freshman, but I have since been disappointed by his style. I would certainly cheer for him again if he returned to the style he wrestled as a freshman, except when he wrestles Metcalf!

  7. #25

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Speaking of ignorant. You post that Schlatter controlled the tempo, I correct you, and you shoot back by saying "Metcalf wasn't scoring". Thank you, I'm aware, I watched it. But it has nothing to do with tempo or control of ties. Watch the match. Metcalf was moving Schlatter around, controlling the front head lock, forcing Schlatter to back up, taking all of the offensive shots for the second and third periods, with Schlatter having a few counter attempts. So please, enlighten me on wrestling if you're going to make those ridiculous statements with no logical basis behind them.

    Then you go into a longwinded rant against the Hawkeyes which has NOTHING to do with the discussion. If you'd like to get "owned" in that debate, please create a new thread, and I can elaborate on that subject for you.
    bring it on. I am from Iowa and it amazes me how Iowa fans beat their chests and brag about the glory days. Who cares? Like you are any other knucklehead on here had a thing to do with the tradition of Iowa wrestling. D schlatter never used the excuse that he wasn't healthy but you get on here and act like it was a built-in excuse. I know he wasn't healthy since I went to the pavillion and he wasn't wrestling that night acouple times this year. Or when the gophers were wrestling on the road I would open the newspaper and they had Mellmer listed as 149 for the gophers. So I had it pinned down to either Mellmer won a wrestle off (yeah right)or just maybe D schlatter was hurt.

  8. #26
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
    bring it on. I am from Iowa and it amazes me how Iowa fans beat their chests and brag about the glory days. Who cares? Like you are any other knucklehead on here had a thing to do with the tradition of Iowa wrestling. D schlatter never used the excuse that he wasn't healthy but you get on here and act like it was a built-in excuse. I know he wasn't healthy since I went to the pavillion and he wasn't wrestling that night acouple times this year. Or when the gophers were wrestling on the road I would open the newspaper and they had Mellmer listed as 149 for the gophers. So I had it pinned down to either Mellmer won a wrestle off (yeah right)or just maybe D schlatter was hurt.
    The funny thing is, a Hawkeye fan wouldn't even have to brag about the glory days (although there was a lot of glory), considering THEY JUST WON THE TITLE THIS YEAR!! YOU, by talking about the years past, are the one doing that. But then, you seem to simple to grasp that concept.

    And where did I say Schlatter made an excuse. ONce again, YOU are the one building in an excuse.

    "If Schlatter's healthy, he takes Metcalf".

    Logically speaking, if that were true, if Metcalf beats Schlatter, it is only because Schlatter was injured. A built-in excuse. Now, lets see if you can understand that.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  9. #27
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: Brent Metcalf - A season for the ages

    Quote Originally Posted by contini View Post
    Has there been any other guys who won the NCAA's as a freshman and then never won it again? Schlatter could become the first.
    Matt Reiss from NC State won it as a true unseeded freshman in 1980 and then placed 8th the next year and apparently never wrestled again.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •