Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 26

Thread: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

  1. #10
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    I'm afraid we are going to be hearing bursting bubbles almost daily through May.

    It was most unfortunate that wrestling was one of the sports chosen.
    From a geographical perspective, the elimination of both hockey teams is a real shocker.

    In reading the article, it became pretty clear that someething had to give.

    In bringing you this news, we want to emphasize that while the current global financial crisis and its severe effect on MIT factored heavily in our decision, the issue of the viability of carrying 41 varsity sports has been with us even in times of relative financial stability.

    8 sports go down for a savings of a mere $485,000 ? That's not that big of a give back.

    I'm not aware of any school that carries that many, but I have checked the count at the USNA or USMA lately.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  2. #11
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    The Sport Health and Vitality tool monitors the health of each varsity sport at MIT by tracking such areas as student interest, coaching turnover, availability of appropriate competition, quality and proximity of practice facilities, as well as program costs.

    I dont' have anything to add to all the great comments about wrestling above but I see it was axed at MIT by the Sport Health and Vitality tool.
    It was axed by a TOOL alright. Some big Tool sitting in an administrative office.

  3. #12
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post

    ... 8 sports go down for a savings of a mere $485,000 ? That's not that big of a give back. ...
    Yeah, and they're loaded. Most colleges would kill to have their endowment.

  4. #13
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    I'm very sorry, ODH. It's not like MIT lacks money. They just don't have the money they had a few years ago when endowments were through the roof. I sure am proud of you for wrestling at MIT, a school not usually associated with sports like wrestling. Places like MIT, Cal Tech, and Carnegie Mellon SHOULD have wrestling programs if they want to balance an elite scientific education with values of hard physical work and determination.
    MIT students are generally not associated with doing anything athletic, and while many fit the stereotypes I knew many fantastic athletes when I was at MIT, including a NCAA (DIII) decathalon champ.

    I do still have MIT wrestling appearal and I am usually quite amused at the general comments I get when people notice.

  5. #14
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    MIT students are generally not associated with doing anything athletic.

    I do still have MIT wrestling appearal and I am usually quite amused at the general comments I get when people notice.
    Tufts, where I went, also is not considered a hotbed of athletics (we wrestled MIT when I was there). A friend had a Tufts Wrestling sweatshirt made for me for my birthday and I wore it to NCAA's this year. I was surprised to have someone come up to me and ask if Tufts still has a wrestling team. I told him they did 40 years ago, but I'm pretty sure they dropped wrestling since then.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  6. #15
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    The Sport Health and Vitality tool monitors the health of each varsity sport at MIT by tracking such areas as student interest, coaching turnover, availability of appropriate competition, quality and proximity of practice facilities, as well as program costs.

    I dont' have anything to add to all the great comments about wrestling above but I see it was axed at MIT by the Sport Health and Vitality tool.
    It had to have been axed because of the low numbers of students on the team (student interest). None of the other criteria made sense.

    There were (are probalby still are) a lot of good HS wrestlers at MIT who are not willing to do the work and commitment to wrestle in college. There were also good wrestlers from good wrestling states that thought they were going to be easily the best guy in the room, then after one or two practices they realized that they needed to work hard and improve to able able to compete and most were not willing to make that sacrifice.

  7. #16

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    I'm afraid we are going to be hearing bursting bubbles almost daily through May.
    I think you're right. I know of one D1 school that hasn't scheduled duals yet for next year because they anticipate being cut any day now, and don't want to leave any teams they schedule in the lurch. And another one that thinks they'll be cut soon too. And a 3rd that thought they were losing their program a couple weeks ago but have been assured for another year or two.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

    "Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

  8. #17
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I think you're right. I know of one D1 school that hasn't scheduled duals yet for next year because they anticipate being cut any day now, and don't want to leave any teams they schedule in the lurch. And another one that thinks they'll be cut soon too. And a 3rd that thought they were losing their program a couple weeks ago but have been assured for another year or two.
    Dusty, How do you find this stuff out? Maybe I'm just not tuned into the right station.
    All these closings are awful news ...

  9. #18
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: MIT cuts eight sports, including wrestling

    You have no clue just how deep that little black hand can reach. Heck, she knew Sanderson was headed to Penn State before Curley even made the call.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •