Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 93

Thread: Bump 3 off the list

  1. #19
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Gold, I don't know why you keep saying Perry is given preference b/c of recency. I mentioned his dominance at the tournament because it was an exceptional feat. Were others on the list as dominate? Probably a few were. But I don't remember Thompson or Hendricks or Lee buzzsawing their way through the tournament like Perry did. If my memory is faulty on that point, let me know.

    Here's a bit of history: Perry beat Hendricks head to head at NCAAs and that surely counts for something. Also, a very minor point in Perry's favor: one of those years he wrestled up a weight, at 174.
    Maybe I just misunderstood you... When you said, "Perry gets bonus pts for all his pins and for being so dominate at NCAAs this year so he's in," it seemed to me like the "this year" was of importance to the statement, and that's the part I disagree with. Admittedly, I haven't been watching college wrestling long enough to know whether or not some of these guys dominated like Perry did this year, but I would imagine many of them have. Beside the 2 pins (which are definitely significant), I don't really think Perry's performance at this year's tournament was exceedingly spectacular, but that is personal opinion...

  2. #20
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Maybe I just misunderstood you... When you said, "Perry gets bonus pts for all his pins and for being so dominate at NCAAs this year so he's in," it seemed to me like the "this year" was of importance to the statement, and that's the part I disagree with. Admittedly, I haven't been watching college wrestling long enough to know whether or not some of these guys dominated like Perry did this year, but I would imagine many of them have. Beside the 2 pins (which are definitely significant), I don't really think Perry's performance at this year's tournament was exceedingly spectacular, but that is personal opinion...
    Mark Perry was the leading point scorer in this years NCAA's.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #21
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    Perry wasn't that dominant this year.
    He had a close match with Tannebaum in the finals and sqeaked by Marable in the semi's with a controversial TD call..
    I also feel Hendricks would have easily won last year if he had chose nuetral in the third. He had just finished riding Perry for a whole period and was up 1-0 with riding time. Perry was never clsoe to taking him down.

    I also don't like his style of wrestling, so take him off the list.

  4. #22
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Perry wasn't that dominant this year.
    He had a close match with Tannebaum in the finals and sqeaked by Marable in the semi's with a controversial TD call..
    I also feel Hendricks would have easily won last year if he had chose nuetral in the third. He had just finished riding Perry for a whole period and was up 1-0 with riding time. Perry was never clsoe to taking him down.

    I also don't like his style of wrestling, so take him off the list.
    I repeat, Mark Perry was the leading point scorer at this years NCAA's. Out of EVERYBODY, he scored the most team points. More then Metcalf, more then anybody.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  5. #23
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    So he pinned guys in the earlier round. To be truly dominant you have win with domiance in the later rounds.

  6. #24
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    So he pinned guys in the earlier round. To be truly dominant you have win with domiance in the later rounds.
    In that case, there was never any doubt in my mind that Perry was going to beat Tannenbaum once he got the 1st period TD, and it never really got close after that. Perry rode Tann like a bicycle. I think your bias against Perry is coloring your choice here. He had a better career then Hendricks, Travis Lee, and Kerry McCoy, and at least as good as Johnny Thompson.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  7. #25
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    I will agree with my bias against his wrestling style colors my opinion, if you can agree that he did not dominate the tournament this year.


    Also Jensens has never said what the purpose of his list was, so I am still for bumping off Perry.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    I figure theres no point in hiding it anymore, and since I told Vak in a pm I'll let it out in this thread too.

    I'm formulating a list of the 25 best wrestlers in the last 25 years. Guys have to have two years in the period between 84-08. Trying to go off College stuff only, but its my list so my inherent preferences and biases may wind up clouding the issues up a little bit.

    I'll be ready for a hearty flaming when I release it, however I decide to release it, be it all at once, or a couple guys per day.

  9. #27
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Bump 3 off the list

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I will agree with my bias against his wrestling style colors my opinion, if you can agree that he did not dominate the tournament this year.


    Also Jensens has never said what the purpose of his list was, so I am still for bumping off Perry.
    Who did dominate this year in your opinion then? The guy who scores the most team points is a pretty big time argument.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •